Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 04:53   #16

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Coronado 25 Refit / Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Xander, we replaced the deckhead with the same sized ply that we ground/sanded/cursed off and now our deck is too springy. I should have used 1/2" ply like my wife suggested instead of the 1/8" that was originally there....Allan
1/8" ? Wow, they must have changed specs, or something. I just installed a winch, rope clutch, and a deck organizer on the deck to run all lines aft. I measured the thickness of the deck so I could install the proper length screws and not have an inch of threads hanging down to bang my head on. The total thickness was 7/8 inch. I don't know how much of the 7/8" is plywood and how much is fiberblass though. I did cut out a hole in the foredeck to move the hawsepipe and it was 3/8" ply and about 3/16" of fiberglass.

I do know they were made on the west coast and on the east coast as well. Mayby they built to different specs. Or mayby they chenged from year to year.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:37   #17

Boat: Coronado 25 - Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Xander, we replaced the deckhead with the same sized ply that we ground/sanded/cursed off and now our deck is too springy. I should have used 1/2" ply like my wife suggested instead of the 1/8" that was originally there....Allan
Mine had 1/8" ply forward of the foredeck hatch (plus stiffeners) and 1/2" everywhere else. What kind of glass material did you use? How thick is your deck now? You're talking about the core of the fiberglass deck right - or the overhead liner? I am using 1/2" but had seriously considered 3/4" for a time.

Thinking about making the new bulkheads differently. Fit 1/2" ply as one piece and glass them in.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 03:12   #18

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

The actual fiberglass deck is very thin, I plan on putting reinforcing stringers across beamwise. I'm thinking about that black foam pipe insulation cut in half lengthwise and glassed to the deckhead. Any ideas guys?
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 09:13   #19

Quote:
The actual fiberglass deck is very thin, I plan on putting reinforcing stringers across beamwise.
Do you have a photo? What part of the deck are we talking about? The whole thing? When you say fiberglass deck - is that just the exterior skin without core? How thin is it?

Quote:
Did you replace the headliner or the actual core of the deck?

Quote:
I'm thinking about that black foam pipe insulation cut in half lengthwise and glassed to the deckhead. Any ideas guys?
Good idea with the pipe insulation but better test it out - my guess is it'll dissolve before the glass kicks. Cardboard tubing or wooden stiffeners might be better. Are you using polyester or epoxy?
Old 16-11-2011, 13:13   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Have fun go sailing,I owned and sailed a Coronado 25 for 3 years 2 Bahama trips wife 2 kids had a ball experienced 50 + knts of wind on the Little Bahama Bank,for 5 hours,no prolem ran aground all over jumpted out and pushed it off no big deal and she was fast,never worried about gas for the outboard,12 gallons for 2 weeks,including crossing the stream.O to be young again,that was 35 years ago.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:53   #21

Xander, it was the headliner as there is no core to the deck as it is so thin there is no core.
Old 16-11-2011, 13:54   #22

Good point about the foam dissolving, will go with the cardboard tube idea....thanks....Allan
Old 16-11-2011, 15:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Have fun go sailing,I owned and sailed a Coronado 25 for 3 years 2 Bahama trips wife 2 kids had a ball experienced 50 + knts of wind on the Little Bahama Bank,for 5 hours,no prolem ran aground all over jumpted out and pushed it off no big deal and she was fast,never worried about gas for the outboard,12 gallons for 2 weeks,including crossing the stream.O to be young again,that was 35 years ago.
We just had the roughest day we have ever had on "Morgan" We went through the cut at Apalachacola on an outgoing tide with a south wind (dumb thing to do). Large breaking waves coming in as we were going out. I will never do that again. Once we were out the waves were about 3 or 4 feet tall and breaking. We ran about 30 miles east and ducked into Carabelle. Finally dropped the hook and mixed a drink. It was very very unconfortable. Most of the 30 miles we had the waves on our beam. We were sailing about 5-6 knots. Even as unconfortable as it was I never felt Morgan was out of control or that it was too much for her.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:57   #24
Marine Service Provider

Good Show,now you know what to expect next time.Good handling and forgiving boat.I was too dumb back then to know you shouldn't do those things
Old 16-11-2011, 18:06   #25

Quote:
Xander, it was the headliner as there is no core to the deck as it is so thin there is no core.
Interesting. I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Quote:
Good point about the foam dissolving, will go with the cardboard tube idea....thanks....Allan
Let me know how it works.
Old 18-11-2011, 05:38   #26

Hey Xander, I noticed you are in Canada. Brrrrrrr. Has work on the boat stopped for the winter or are you still able to keep working?
Old 18-11-2011, 08:56   #27

Quote:
Hey Xander, I noticed you are in Canada. Brrrrrrr. Has work on the boat stopped for the winter or are you still able to keep working?
Just a few days ago the temperature dipped below my limit. Unfortunately the major work has come to a halt for now. I have a heater in the boat that lets me work on the milder winter days but it's just too risky right now. Very frustrated because I finally have time to spend on the project and now I can't do what I had planned. Arrgg!

Quote:
Even as unconfortable as it was I never felt Morgan was out of control or that it was too much for her.
When I first bought this boat a friend of mine volunteered to help me sail her home to where I was living at the time (a 2 day journey). We were stuck on a small island further north waiting for a storm to pass. Got bored of waiting and decided to go for it. Neither of us had any experience sailing tidal waters (I learned to sail as a kid on lakes) and we really didn't know what we were doing. We left our safe harbor and ventured out into 6 - 8 foot breaking waves caused by 40+ knot winds. Never worried about the boat. She felt indestructible! I have since gained more respect for the ocean but, even in hindsight, I completely felt that we were totally safe. Great little boat!
Old 18-11-2011, 11:00   #28
Marine Service Provider

Carefull of the hull to deck joint,flexs an lot will leak.Do you have a centerboard?When I bought mine I,was told it had a board after 8 days bringing it home and finally looking at the bottom NO BOARD missing.Had one cut from steel plate after taking masurments put it in what a difference added 125 lbs of weight and a lot of pointing ability.After 35 years I still miss that boat,easy tosail and keep up and FUN
Old 29-04-2012, 05:35   #29

Xander, the weather has warmed up. Have you resumed work on the old girl yet?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Xander, the weather has warmed up. Have you resumed work on the old girl yet?
Time is in short supply. Might have 2 weeks this month but am hopeful about having a month or so in the fall to get her closer to finished. Plan is to relaunch next summer if I can.

Tags
rebuild