Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 12:21   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Core cell cross cut vs plain sheets.

I've recored my cabin sides with corecell cross cut sheets it worked great I was happy with the results. I'm in the process of taking out the 4 large windows on my downEaster 32. They are12 x 30 inches or so. They are not curved . I was wondering if the corecell cross cut sheets are just cut to conform to curves better or do the grooves provide more surface area for the epoxy to adhere to? My cabin is cored from the factory with cross cut sheets even on the flat runs. Wondering if they used the cut variation bc it's what they had from a production stand point or if it offers more strenghth since you can fill all the cuts with epoxy providing more adhesion surface area. I don't see much of a price difference between the 2 and I'm looking for the most rigid and strength. I'm using 1708 cloth and 1/2 corecell and west system epoxy to fill in the windows. And I've got nfm 8x22 bronze ports to replace them....gonna look really nice.just not sure which to order......on a side note my boats decks have not been painted and I'll be repainting them.but looks like it's gonna take me a looooonnnnng time to decide which paint I want to use....originally was gonna awlgrip but lack of repairability has me reconsidering. Maybe alexseal or just a brightsides...any how will the bare epoxy uv exposure be an issue for a few months? Any one used Alexseal?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Core cell cross cut vs plain sheets.

The crosscut's purpose is for curved surfaces--in other places, you're better off with plain. If you want extra adhesion, you can drill a grid-pattern of 1/8" holes, or poke them with an awl or whatever. The crosscut will use more resin to fill the spaces, which is more weight and $$$, and unless you're vacuum bagging, you can't guarantee that all the spaces will fill.
I would not be comfy leaving epoxy in the sun for any length of time. Better to coat it with a least a primer (545 is my fav). If you're brushing the Awlgrip, it's not that bad to repair. If you fair to a perfect finish and spray, then a dent is discouraging. But any paint will be hard to repair in that case. Brightside doesn't last well, IMO.
Old 30-07-2018, 12:38   #3

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Re: Core cell cross cut vs plain sheets.

Seems the paint debate is done to death on the forums I'm tempteted to start another. I think I will and thanks for the info
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, sheets