Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41   #1

Coppercoat Bottom Paint

has anyone had any experience with a bottom paint called Coppercoat (www.coppercoatusa.com) ? You mix copper into a two part epoxy, they claim 10+ years....looks pretty interesting, more costly upfront maybe but much cheaper in the long run. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks
kitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We have that. Use normal paint instead!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:08   #3

Boat: 17' Thistle and 13' Catboat
I thought copper in anti fouling had been outlawed? Or is that only in areas where environmental concerns get priority?
htraudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:14   #4

There was a discussion on this a short while ago:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ling-8458.html
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by htraudes View Post
I thought copper in anti fouling had been outlawed? Or is that only in areas where environmental concerns get priority?
TriButyl Tin is now banned throughout most of the world and certainly here in the U.S. To my knowledge, Cuprous Oxide has had no restrictions placed on it anywhere in this country. It remains the heavy metal of choice for anti fouling paints.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:55   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefish View Post
has anyone had any experience with a bottom paint called Coppercoat (www.coppercoatusa.com) ? You mix copper into a two part epoxy, they claim 10+ years....looks pretty interesting, more costly upfront maybe but much cheaper in the long run. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks
As a hull cleaner, my experience here in the Bay Area with copper-loaded epoxies like the one you mentioned is that they are amongst the worst anti fouling solutions available. So much so that we almost never see them here anymore (thank God ). That being said however, depending on where your boat lives, YMMV.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:11   #7

Boat: solaris sunstar 38ft cat,wild honey
Talking it beats anti -fouling every year !

I am always intrigued by all the opinions on this type of anti - foul . I have had it on my cat since built (10 years ago ) it has been brilliant .I really dont understand why owners still use paint -that -dissolves- in- water , any more ? I lifted my cat out today with its slick copper bottom and it was very clean after 9 months in the Med . no barnies , worms or anything .
It is , IMHO , the best thing since TBT !
I re coated last year as the original copper had become less effective , and now its back to brilliance ! To me , its a no - brainer . I have NOT grovelled around under my hulls for the last 10 years as most fellow sailors have done .
I just wash off when lifted out then lightly sand before lifting back in . job done . Over the years ,so many sailors have asked what I have on the boat as they cant believe how clean she is on lift out day ! Also , there are ways to do this without paying out large wads of cash , I make my own mix and it is LESS than anti foul , which only lasts a year ! As far as I know, no - one has legislated against it, I presume , because it is non leeching therefore cannot harm the poor moluscs .
grafozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27   #8

Boat: Ovni 445
Though a lot of things was said in the other thread about coppercoat, I just have to chime in, because I have it on my boat and it has both been OK and a big dissapointment.

It was OK in colder climates: Norway and the Netherlands, but in warmer climates like the Caribbean it has been aweful. Crap was growing under my boat even when we were in constant motion. We scrubbed thoroughly underneath before we set sail from Gran Canaria last year and when we checked shortly after coming to St. Lucia, I couldn't belive how bad the growth was. After that it was a perpetual struggle to keep the growth at bay. Before going back on the water in a few weeks I am now applying Seahawk Islands 44 after hearing and seeing how well it has worked for a few other cruisers.

So check what other cruisers in oyur area are using. If no one is using coppercoat there, I would take that as a hint and pick what other people are happy with.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafozz View Post
I am always intrigued by all the opinions on this type of anti - foul . I have had it on my cat since built (10 years ago ) it has been brilliant .I really dont understand why owners still use paint -that -dissolves- in- water , any more ?
There's always someone who claims to have a magic bullet. Funny thing is, nobody else is using it. Why is that?

Bottom line- what works well in one region may be worthless in another. Just because you are having good results with whatever you are using doesn't mean someone on the other side of the world will have the same experience.
Old 05-11-2009, 13:07   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafozz View Post
I am always intrigued by all the opinions on this type of anti - foul . I have had it on my cat since built (10 years ago ) it has been brilliant .I really dont understand why owners still use paint -that -dissolves- in- water , any more ? I lifted my cat out today with its slick copper bottom and it was very clean after 9 months in the Med . no barnies , worms or anything .
It is , IMHO , the best thing since TBT !
I re coated last year as the original copper had become less effective , and now its back to brilliance ! To me , its a no - brainer . I have NOT grovelled around under my hulls for the last 10 years as most fellow sailors have done .
I just wash off when lifted out then lightly sand before lifting back in . job done . Over the years ,so many sailors have asked what I have on the boat as they cant believe how clean she is on lift out day ! Also , there are ways to do this without paying out large wads of cash , I make my own mix and it is LESS than anti foul , which only lasts a year ! As far as I know, no - one has legislated against it, I presume , because it is non leeching therefore cannot harm the poor moluscs .
What exactly did you use?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 13:58   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
This product has been used in Europe for years but only recently approved by the EPA in the US. See the latest copy of Cruising World for a brief report.

The copper does not leach into the environment but bonds to the hull and protects against growth. It takes on a green patina but I have seen it on boats after a season cruising and a pressure wash is all it needed.

At 2 to 3 times the cost of bottom paint, it should still pay for itself over time. I am seriously considering it for my next bottom job.

Of course, it won't work on sail drives or other aluminum parts, so I will still be hauling out every year.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:03   #12

anti fouling for fiberglass

any recommendations for a long term anti fouling paint for a fibrerglass planning power boat, moored in Queensland Australia (sub tropical)
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 13:42   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
copper copper everywhere ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
What exactly did you use?
I made my own mix using local 2x pack epoxy and copper powder from progressive epoxy polymers, simple and effective .
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 13:46   #14

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
This product has been used in Europe for years but only recently approved by the EPA in the US. See the latest copy of Cruising World for a brief report.

The copper does not leach into the environment but bonds to the hull and protects against growth. It takes on a green patina but I have seen it on boats after a season cruising and a pressure wash is all it needed.

At 2 to 3 times the cost of bottom paint, it should still pay for itself over time. I am seriously considering it for my next bottom job.

Of course, it won't work on sail drives or other aluminum parts, so I will still be hauling out every year.Progressive Epoxy Polymers and Resins - Home Page Pittsfield, NH

George
Sunspot , check progressive epoxy in USA ,they have everything you need and it costs LESS than soluble anti foul .
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 13:52   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramos View Post
I made my own mix using local 2x pack epoxy and copper powder from progressive epoxy polymers, simple and effective .
And probably illegal, especially in the U.S.

Tags
bottom paint