Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12   #61
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Coppercoat Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Unless I misunderstood you, your point was that ablative anti fouling paints cannot be maintained in the water.

They can and are.
Ah ok. In the same way? As in, can ablative paint, which, well, has ablated, after 18 or 20 months continuously tooling about remote areas of the Pacific, be renewed?
__________________

__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26   #62
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: Coppercoat Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Ah ok. In the same way? As in, can ablative paint, which, well, has ablated, after 18 or 20 months continuously tooling about remote areas of the Pacific, be renewed?
No. Ablative paints do not work like copper-loaded epoxies and therefore "renewing" by sanding or burnishing is not appropriate. However regular in-water cleaning is typical and necessary. That is the maintenance to which I was referring.
__________________

__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29   #63
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Coppercoat Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
No. Ablative paints do not work like copper-loaded epoxies and therefore "renewing" by sanding or burnishing is not appropriate. However regular in-water cleaning is typical and necessary. That is the maintenance to which I was referring.
Ok… well that's fine so long as most of the paint is still there. After a bit over a year… in my experience, it generally has worn thin and is warding off less than it should. Cleaning becomes more frequent, ablating therefore increases… until it stops working altogether. Meanwhile… old copperchops over there is still using their scotchbrite every few months or so…
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 81
Re: Coppercoat Application

Just finished having my boat coppercoated ( 4 coats) used 15 litres , cost 90 euros per litre, the primer and soft antifouling quote ( 4 coats) I had was only 400 euros cheaper, the labour cost for painting was almost the same 14 hours at 25 euro per hour, this includes moving the boat and doing the pads and keel bottom with 4 coats. I think the only extra labour cost of coppercoat over normal was the sanding once dry. So I don't think it was much more expensive, did start with clean gel coat and the boat is 50ft with a published wetted area of 45sq meters.
I have also fitted 2 jcar ultrasonic antifouling units, so fingers crossed lets hope all the snake oil works.

Regards

Ab


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,334
Re: Coppercoat Application

Does anyone have any recent experience entering Australia with coppercoat??

" As of October 2007 all vessels entering Australian waters must have written evidence (letter from a marina or itemized receipts) showing that the boat was antifouled (with non-TBT paint) within the previous 6 months."
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:58   #66
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Coppercoat Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Does anyone have any recent experience entering Australia with coppercoat??

" As of October 2007 all vessels entering Australian waters must have written evidence (letter from a marina or itemized receipts) showing that the boat was antifouled (with non-TBT paint) within the previous 6 months."
I have entered and left Oz with no probs with coppercoated vessel. They perform an extremely thorough examination of the vessel for biohazards specifically and any violation of the country's strict environmental code. There is no issue with it in Australian waters to my knowledge and indeed there is a distributor there. ABS Technologies.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 17:31   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 253
Re: Coppercoat Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgreenbank View Post
Just finished having my boat coppercoated ( 4 coats) used 15 litres , cost 90 euros per litre, the primer and soft antifouling quote ( 4 coats) I had was only 400 euros cheaper, the labour cost for painting was almost the same 14 hours at 25 euro per hour, this includes moving the boat and doing the pads and keel bottom with 4 coats. I think the only extra labour cost of coppercoat over normal was the sanding once dry. So I don't think it was much more expensive, did start with clean gel coat and the boat is 50ft with a published wetted area of 45sq meters.
I have also fitted 2 jcar ultrasonic antifouling units, so fingers crossed lets hope all the snake oil works.

Regards

Ab


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Would love to hear how it works. I am 6 weeks into my second season. So far so good


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 01:13   #68
Registered User
 
SailRedemption's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Orleans
Boat: Kaufman 47
Posts: 779
Re: Coppercoat Application

So I moved my boat to her new home and took a dive on her because the water was deep and clearer at this marina. The transit was about an hour at hull speed(new engine so I ran her hard on and off). Mind you, it has been in the water for almost 7 months (end of December we splashed)

My findings:
Well, the Marpro ablative I put on the shaft and prop looked clean. There was paint missing on the prop blades, which was expected.

The hull, we'll the hull looked like the day I put her in on probably 80 percent of the hull. There was only a thin film of blackish slim/algae? On the under belly but stopped at the keel and the turn of the bilge. I didn't have a camera with me when I dove. But when I get back from this hitch offshore I'll post pictures.

The area I'm in is Lake Pontchartrain so the water is brackish. We do get barnacles and slime etc. In fact before I dove on my boat I dove on a 36' sport fish to clean the trim tabs rudders and propellers for this summer. It has the 67 percent Marpro ablative from Donovan. It had 60-70 percent coverage of full size barnacles on the underwater hardware. Hasn't been cleaned since last summer and has 1yr old paint. Our boats were about 3/4 mile from each other before the move.

Thought I'd give an update. Pictures to come.... In another 3 weeks (:

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
SailRedemption is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coppercoat Antifouling lovinlife Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 66 09-12-2011 05:34
Coppercoat Bottom Paint kitefish Construction, Maintenance & Refit 73 11-12-2010 17:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.