Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:12   #61

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Coppercoat Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Unless I misunderstood you, your point was that ablative anti fouling paints cannot be maintained in the water.

They can and are.
Ah ok. In the same way? As in, can ablative paint, which, well, has ablated, after 18 or 20 months continuously tooling about remote areas of the Pacific, be renewed?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:26   #62
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Ah ok. In the same way? As in, can ablative paint, which, well, has ablated, after 18 or 20 months continuously tooling about remote areas of the Pacific, be renewed?
No. Ablative paints do not work like copper-loaded epoxies and therefore "renewing" by sanding or burnishing is not appropriate. However regular in-water cleaning is typical and necessary. That is the maintenance to which I was referring.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
No. Ablative paints do not work like copper-loaded epoxies and therefore "renewing" by sanding or burnishing is not appropriate. However regular in-water cleaning is typical and necessary. That is the maintenance to which I was referring.
Ok… well that's fine so long as most of the paint is still there. After a bit over a year… in my experience, it generally has worn thin and is warding off less than it should. Cleaning becomes more frequent, ablating therefore increases… until it stops working altogether. Meanwhile… old copperchops over there is still using their scotchbrite every few months or so…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 04-06-2015, 08:26   #64

Just finished having my boat coppercoated ( 4 coats) used 15 litres , cost 90 euros per litre, the primer and soft antifouling quote ( 4 coats) I had was only 400 euros cheaper, the labour cost for painting was almost the same 14 hours at 25 euro per hour, this includes moving the boat and doing the pads and keel bottom with 4 coats. I think the only extra labour cost of coppercoat over normal was the sanding once dry. So I don't think it was much more expensive, did start with clean gel coat and the boat is 50ft with a published wetted area of 45sq meters.
I have also fitted 2 jcar ultrasonic antifouling units, so fingers crossed lets hope all the snake oil works.

Regards

Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24   #65

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Does anyone have any recent experience entering Australia with coppercoat??

" As of October 2007 all vessels entering Australian waters must have written evidence (letter from a marina or itemized receipts) showing that the boat was antifouled (with non-TBT paint) within the previous 6 months."
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:58   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Does anyone have any recent experience entering Australia with coppercoat??

" As of October 2007 all vessels entering Australian waters must have written evidence (letter from a marina or itemized receipts) showing that the boat was antifouled (with non-TBT paint) within the previous 6 months."
I have entered and left Oz with no probs with coppercoated vessel. They perform an extremely thorough examination of the vessel for biohazards specifically and any violation of the country's strict environmental code. There is no issue with it in Australian waters to my knowledge and indeed there is a distributor there. ABS Technologies.
Old 20-06-2015, 16:31   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgreenbank View Post
Just finished having my boat coppercoated ( 4 coats) used 15 litres , cost 90 euros per litre, the primer and soft antifouling quote ( 4 coats) I had was only 400 euros cheaper, the labour cost for painting was almost the same 14 hours at 25 euro per hour, this includes moving the boat and doing the pads and keel bottom with 4 coats. I think the only extra labour cost of coppercoat over normal was the sanding once dry. So I don't think it was much more expensive, did start with clean gel coat and the boat is 50ft with a published wetted area of 45sq meters.
I have also fitted 2 jcar ultrasonic antifouling units, so fingers crossed lets hope all the snake oil works.

Regards

Ab

Would love to hear how it works. I am 6 weeks into my second season. So far so good

shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 00:13   #68

Boat: Kaufman 47

So I moved my boat to her new home and took a dive on her because the water was deep and clearer at this marina. The transit was about an hour at hull speed(new engine so I ran her hard on and off). Mind you, it has been in the water for almost 7 months (end of December we splashed)

My findings:
Well, the Marpro ablative I put on the shaft and prop looked clean. There was paint missing on the prop blades, which was expected.

The hull, we'll the hull looked like the day I put her in on probably 80 percent of the hull. There was only a thin film of blackish slim/algae? On the under belly but stopped at the keel and the turn of the bilge. I didn't have a camera with me when I dove. But when I get back from this hitch offshore I'll post pictures.

The area I'm in is Lake Pontchartrain so the water is brackish. We do get barnacles and slime etc. In fact before I dove on my boat I dove on a 36' sport fish to clean the trim tabs rudders and propellers for this summer. It has the 67 percent Marpro ablative from Donovan. It had 60-70 percent coverage of full size barnacles on the underwater hardware. Hasn't been cleaned since last summer and has 1yr old paint. Our boats were about 3/4 mile from each other before the move.

Thought I'd give an update. Pictures to come.... In another 3 weeks (:

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote