Ok, here are my results. I put Coppercoat on my two boats, a Montauk 17 and a Bristol 35.5. Both boats were moored in the western part of the Long Island sound
. I believe it to be a pretty high fouling area especially late in the season. The Whaler was launched the first week of June and will be hauled out next weekend. The Bristol was launched the first week of August due to an Awlgrip job I was working on. My past experience has been with ablative paint from Interlux
. I usually clean the bottom every few weeks to deal with shrimp and slime and to avoid barnacle formation. In the past, if I did not clean the bottom I would have barnacles
in July assuming a May June launch. This year I did not clean the bottom to really put the Coppercoat to test. I did have to clean the prop as it was bare bronze bad full of barnacles
to get the boat to move to haul it.
The results are really good. I would say much better than the Interlux
paint I have been using for years. Only some shrimp buildup that came right off with one stroke of the powerwasher.
In all fairness, the whaler spent an additional two months in the water
and I will post pictures when I haul that boat, but I can say that there are no barnacles and only some slime on the boat. Due to the fact that the whaler is a fast moving boat, I expect the results to be even better than the sailboat despite being in the water for the full season.
I also neglected to sand either boat as Coppercoat recommends as I was rushed with both boats
I also have a video of the boat being power washed if I can figure out how to load it.
Sent from my iPad
using Cruisers Sailing Forum