Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

The Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board last night passed the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) plan for Marina del Rey. This plan includes the phasing out of copper-based anti fouling paints on boats berthed in MdR over a 10-year span.

You heard it here first.
__________________

__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,948
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Business is going to get much better for you!
__________________

__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:45   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Business is going to get much better for you!
I don't work in Southern California.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 13:28   #4
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,426
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

I am sure that US and state Agencies are immune to this rule.
__________________
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:28   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Sail the boat somewhere else for paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59   #6
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

UnHappyMdRSailor....

Covert paint sample divers can't be far behind...

Time to move the boat...

I hope the largest man made harbor in the US turns into a ghost town...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:07   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Sail the boat somewhere else for paint.
This ploy won't work because MdR berthers will have to show proof of what they've painted their bottoms with as a requirement of tenancy. This according to the L.A water board personnel I have spoken with about this subject.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 14:06   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This ploy won't work because MdR berthers will have to show proof of what they've painted their bottoms with as a requirement of tenancy. This according to the L.A water board personnel I have spoken with about this subject.
I'll open my new online business doctoring work invoices to show eco paint was used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 14:20   #9
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
SNIP

I hope the largest man made harbor in the US turns into a ghost town...
A while back there was a thread about the FWC sorta, kinda, maybe harassing cruisers in Boot Key Harbor and some suggested that the solution was to simply not go there. Didn't seem to work as there has been a waiting list for balls there this season. Also other threads about boycotting Florida in general because of rules cruisers did not like.

The reason boycotts don't work is because there simply is not enough supply to meet the demand for all the boats looking for a place to dock, moor, or anchor.

Not saying I like it, just that there are a lot of boaters out there.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:02   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

It is being phased in over a ten year period. I could understand the objections and sense of being upset shown if it was said you have six months from today. Now I don't know all the details nor do I think anyone does at this point. But it appears to be a gradual and long term thing. At some point, we will just take it for granted and it will be a non issue.

It's amazing how many things we long sense have forgotten. Catalytic converters for cars would be a good example. There was time given, then it was only newly built cars, and eventually almost all the cars on the road had them. And we're all better off for it.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:11   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: So Cal
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 943
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Ya know.. The science on cat converters was pretty good. Not so much on bottom paint. I
__________________
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:51   #12
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
A while back there was a thread about the FWC sorta, kinda, maybe harassing cruisers in Boot Key Harbor and some suggested that the solution was to simply not go there. Didn't seem to work as there has been a waiting list for balls there this season. Also other threads about boycotting Florida in general because of rules cruisers did not like.

The reason boycotts don't work is because there simply is not enough supply to meet the demand for all the boats looking for a place to dock, moor, or anchor.

Not saying I like it, just that there are a lot of boaters out there.
Completely familiar with the thread Tom.... Less of a boycott, and "that'll show 'em!" and more of a ...

"It's my ball and I'm going home" childish reponse....

When things get expensive and inconvenient... I'll move... Unless Eric gets his business up and running!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:01   #13
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Copper Paint Ban Approved in MdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It is being phased in over a ten year period. I could understand the objections and sense of being upset shown if it was said you have six months from today. Now I don't know all the details nor do I think anyone does at this point. But it appears to be a gradual and long term thing. At some point, we will just take it for granted and it will be a non issue.

It's amazing how many things we long sense have forgotten. Catalytic converters for cars would be a good example. There was time given, then it was only newly built cars, and eventually almost all the cars on the road had them. And we're all better off for it.
Your point has merit (whichever B posted) Looks like I better get the jump on the bottom BEFORE the yards won't paint with copper...

BTW... Cat's are a PITA... Power suckers, started by the CAL CARB Nazi's who required a 1 state car and a 49 state car for as long as I can remember.... Not that they don't work... and the general good they provide... I just don't like paying to have them replaced when the almighty sniffer shoved up my tailpipe says EWWW!!! (btw.. if you have a spare cat for a 951 laying around, I would love to have it...)

Finally... I promise to follow closer to the BandB code of letting the small stuff slide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Ya know.. The science on cat converters was pretty good. Not so much on bottom paint. I
TRUE DAT!
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.