Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 15:55   #16

Re: copper coat antifouling

I also did some tests with epoxy/copper powder that I mixed myself and painted onto fibreglass sheet.
I did patches using West System epoxy and copper powder, epoxy and copper powder mixed 30% and 50% with acetone and a patch 2 pot clear polyurethane and copper powder.
Also one patch using a local brand of epoxy copper antifoul.
After 4 mths all had about the same amount of slime build-up which wiped off easily with a sponge. There were no barnacles.
I am about to try the same panel with the CopperCoat epoxy/copper as well to see how they compare.
One thing I did notice was that the CopperCoat panel burnished with a pot-mit to a new penny colour much better than any of the others.
So we shall see how each panel compares now.
It certainly is far cheaper to mix your own if you can find a combination that works well.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:08   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: copper coat antifouling

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but the epoxy used in the CopperCoat is a water soluble / water clean up product, that is, until it cures whence it becomes water proof.

The directions for using CooperCoat also include thinning the mixed product with 10% of their thinners thus making it less than 100% solids when applied. At least that was the mixing instructions some years back when I applied it. The thinners seem to be simply an ethyl alcohol product.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote