Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:23   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42 - Even Star
Cop-R-Bote Antifouling

Does anyone out there have any experiences good or bad with an antifouling product called Cop R Bote? Basically it's 70% copper suspended in epoxy resin. They claim 5 -10 years life before a need to re-apply, with wiping off the slime every couple of months or a light sanding with fine-grit sandpaper every couple of years being the only requirement for maintenance. The product is applied over an epoxy base coat.

As I'm currently working through anti-osmosis treatment (successfully removing gelcoat and 2mm of glass with a Gelplane before reglassing with vinylester resin) I like the thought of applying a long-lasting epoxy-based anti-fouling after applying a couple of coats of epoxy, completing the barrier coat.
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 13:39   #2

Location: crossed pacific 2012 currently cruising east Aus coast
Boat: Hylas 47 Stolen Kiss
cop-r-bote

It seems very effective , the application process is a bit tedious having to get it all done in one day and the price as I,m sure you,ve found is pretty high. Friend had it applied in Langkawi and was more than happy with it
Stolen Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 14:31   #3

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
My tri had it on when i bought her and the previous owner was telling me the benifits of it but at the time the boat had excessive growth on her ,upon slipping i took off growth 3'' thick i was told to sand the surface till the copper was visible and put her back in the water ,two months later i pulled her out to start a major re-fit and the entire hull was covered with growth ,which though did come off easy but i was not impressed i went back to an ablative paint system . I have since been told that with the copper -epoxy mix regular scrubbing is needed to keep the hull clean -too much stuffing around for my liking, but it does give your hull an epoxy barrier coat cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:34   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinescape View Post
My tri had it on when i bought her and the previous owner was telling me the benifits of it but at the time the boat had excessive growth on her ,upon slipping i took off growth 3'' thick i was told to sand the surface till the copper was visible and put her back in the water ,two months later i pulled her out to start a major re-fit and the entire hull was covered with growth ,which though did come off easy but i was not impressed i went back to an ablative paint system . I have since been told that with the copper -epoxy mix regular scrubbing is needed to keep the hull clean -too much stuffing around for my liking, but it does give your hull an epoxy barrier coat cheers andy
Seems to me that if one is going to scrub regularly common house paint will do about as well.

If one reads older voyaging works, such as Cook's journals, one will find that their boats were coppered, that is, all underwater surfaces were covered with solid copper sheet. One will also note that they were forced to careen the vessels regularly to remove growth. Metallic copper isn't very effective at preventing either hard or soft fouling growth. Rather it was applied to prevent teredo worms from attacking the timber planking. That is, the copper was a physical barrier, not a chemical one.

So, I am forever skeptical of the claims that various metallic copper suspensions in epoxy or whatever will provide anti-fouling similar to a good bottom paint.

A simple experiment: get a small piece of copper sheeting. Hang it from your marina float, or other fixed spot and leave it for a while. See what grows on it, if anything. Then consider if it is reasonable to expect the Cop-R-Bot to do better.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Manly Qld Oz
Old 02-08-2010, 18:44   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Gandalf,

I have used Coppercoat which is a very similar (but slightly different) product. It has only been in the water for 6 months so it is too early to provide considered feedback; however I am not convinced it was a good way to go. If you want to PM me, we could catch up and talk more about the pros and cons - I did a lot of research before using it.

The boat is moored near South Of Perth YC and you are welcome to have a look at the way the anti-fouling is preforming etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:36   #6

Boat: Building a Schionning Wilderness 44ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Gandalf,

I have used Coppercoat which is a very similar (but slightly different) product. It has only been in the water for 6 months so it is too early to provide considered feedback; however I am not convinced it was a good way to go. If you want to PM me, we could catch up and talk more about the pros and cons - I did a lot of research before using it.

The boat is moored near South Of Perth YC and you are welcome to have a look at the way the anti-fouling is preforming etc.
Can you confirm whether your bottom paint is the International Paints coppercoat antifouling paint or whether it is the Australian named coppershield which is the trademark name in every other country around the world of coppercoat?
phillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:08   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillw View Post
Can you confirm whether your bottom paint is the International Paints coppercoat antifouling paint or whether it is the Australian named coppershield which is the trademark name in every other country around the world of coppercoat?
OK, I don't know about the International Paints product; I am using Coppercoat manufactured by Aquarius Marine Coatings (Dorset, UK). See multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:00   #8

Boat: Building a Schionning Wilderness 44ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, I don't know about the International Paints product; I am using Coppercoat manufactured by Aquarius Marine Coatings (Dorset, UK). See multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul
Yes that is the product known as coppershield in Australia which is a bit confusing. They cannot sell as coppercoat in Australia as International Paints already have a product by that name. I am contemplating whether to use the product but am a bit wary as there appears to be as many negative posts about the product as there are good ones which shows that the product is more effective under certain conditions. Now it's a matter of determining whether northern Australian and pacific conditions suit this product.
phillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 15:39   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A couple of folks love some of the products but the question keeps coming up, year after year. If tey were so good, they'd have taken over the market over the past decade. They haven't.

We used one with good results one season, lousy results the next, went back to conventional bottom paint with better cheaper faster results ever after. I *think* it was Copperpoxy, but would't swear on it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42 - Even Star
Thanks for the feedback! I think now that after reglassing the hull I'll seal it with epoxy and apply standard antifouling, such as Micron 66 or whatever is the equivalent here.
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 20:42   #11

Boat: Tasman C35 10.7m
Re: Cop-R-Bote Antifouling

Hi. Are you still happy with the coppershield? Thanks Stu
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 21:23   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

I know you're in Australia, but for those reading the thread in California, copper-based and zinc-based anti-fouling bottom paints are illegal in San Diego Bay on pleasure boats. I expect the rest of California will follow soon. This is because copper builds up in the yacht basins from leeching and scrubbing the bottoms.

Something to check the regulations on before you paint.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:02   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
...in California, copper-based and zinc-based anti-fouling bottom paints are illegal in San Diego Bay on pleasure boats.
You are misinformed.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:48   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You are misinformed.

It would be very helpful if you followed up your statements with some kind of information supporting your point. As it turns out, the law making copper bottom paints has been suspended pending additional environmental testing since last I painted my boat, but the Port of San Diego is using administrative means to reduce their use.

https://www.portofsandiego.org/envir...gislation.html

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:31   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
It would be very helpful if you followed up your statements with some kind of information supporting your point. As it turns out, the law making copper bottom paints has been suspended pending additional environmental testing since last I painted my boat, but the Port of San Diego is using administrative means to reduce their use.
There never was a "law" in California, but rather a bill banning the use of copper in anti fouling paint that never made it to the House of Representatives before the authoring senator tabled it. As far as the Port of San Diego goes; they have implemented a "Divers Permit" that prohibits the creation of a "plume" of color while performing in-water hull cleaning. This essentially means you cannot clean an ablative paint. It should be noted however that the Permit applies to professional hull cleaners only and boat owners are free to dive their own boats and do whatever they like as far as cleaning goes.

The bottom line is there is not now, nor has there ever been a ban on copper or zinc-based anti fouling paints in California. Nor is there currently any pending legislation that would implement such.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling