Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2012, 06:27   #1

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Cooling a Fridge Freezer with Cooler Air from Bilge

I read somewhere the air in the bilge is cooler that air in the cabin. We have a midsized 120volt AC fridge sitting on the cabin floor directly above the bilge.
I could open up a large hole under the fridge so cooler air can flow upwards out of the bilge to the condensor mounted on the fridge back. If I did this what sized hole is enough to make it worth doing?
I have also thought about installing a small fan horizontally in this hole that would come on whenever the compressor ran.
My bilge does not smell bad so sucking up air from it should be ok.

One of the ideas I has was keeping the air in the cabin cooler and perhaps more efficient cooling of compressor and condenser. I noticed the compressor can get hot to the touch.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 14:31   #2

First I am no refridgeration expert. But I stayed at a holiday inn last night...Seriously I have been reading alot about refridgeration in boats the last couple of months and am about to replace my entire fridge/ freezer system. If you have a 110 system that is having problems keeping up then it's just time to replace that fridge. Yes cooler air sure will help but is not the solution. I had a 110 unit in an old power boat that was almost completely sealed and it worked fine for years. Actually scrapped the boat and kept the fridge. Once I took it out I discovered it was also a 12 volt so i put it under the floor of my camper and used it as a beer fridge while camping!.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, cooling, freezer