Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 18:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Converting CNG to LPG

I had a Shipmate propane stove on my old boat. It was the first thing I got rid of as it did not have thermocouples. Thermocouples shut off the fuel supply if the flame blows out otherwise you flood your boat with propane. Check your old Shipmate.

You will also have to build a proper propane locker (among other things) or carry the tanks outboard. I am a fan of propane if installed properly and suggest that if you are not thoroughly familiar with the requirements you take a look at my Safe Boat Propane Systems
Old 06-03-2012, 19:57   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ok...I just lit it up outside and I expected a 6" flame shooting out of the burner. Instead it was just normal like you would expect. Even though someone write Nat. Gas on the back, I guess it had been changed.
boatpoker:- This stove does not have thermal-couples. So I will be careful until I have a spare $1000 for a new unit or it blows me to my final cruising grounds...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 20:03   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Older stoves had a fitting in the regulator that you reversed to go from Natural Gas to propane. There was a plug on top of the regulator that you removed and then turned this little thingy to the right orientation for the type of fuel. Assume that you would just have to change the regulator on the stove to the proper type if it didn't have the built in capability.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 20:06   #19

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Do you know how many btu's each burner is? You can work it backwards if you know what pressure the natural gas was at. Here is a chart http://www.hvacredu.net/gas-codes/mo...ty%20Chart.pdf
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote