Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2008, 19:24   #1
jrb

converting alcohol stove to propane?

I have an alcohol stove that I would like to see if it would be possible to convert to propane. The stove is a Hille Range 2 burner w/ oven. I took it out of my boat a few years back. I was thinking of using it at my house in an outdoor kitchen. Is this possible or should I just chunk it?
jrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 21:14   #2

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
i dont think you could convert it, but if you are thinking of trashing it... what zip code are you in, i will pay shipping plus packing.

my wife wants an oven
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 21:55   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I tried this approach years ago on a Force 10. They have replacement parts for both and it should have been an easy swap of burners and a few fittings. After a lot of frustrations and reluctance by the sellers to sell the parts to a non certified gas fitter I decided to scrap the idea, sell the stove and buy a different one. Recertification of a gas stove due to liability problems becomes a real can of worms.
Old 28-10-2008, 11:03   #4

I have a 2 burner Plastimo with oven/propane all new lines and tank in 98225 that I can sell. Alan
Home
boatyard Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 12:37   #5

I did this once. I used all the 'guts' from a propane camping stove to replace the boat's alcohol stove 'guts'. It's a simple matter of the two 'gut's having the same dimensions.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:22   #6

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I converted a Kero, boat stove to propane. I got some burners and valves from a propane supplier that did repairs. Just mounted the burners and valves. Then connected with copper tubing. It worked fine. No thermocouple, so you had to be careful that the flame didn't blow out. I used it for 2 years cruising with no problems.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 16:00   #7

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: converting alcohol stove to propane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40pirate View Post
I converted a Kero, boat stove to propane. I got some burners and valves from a propane supplier that did repairs. Just mounted the burners and valves. Then connected with copper tubing. It worked fine. No thermocouple, so you had to be careful that the flame didn't blow out. I used it for 2 years cruising with no problems.
Do you remember the name of the propane supply store? I'm endeavoring the same as the OP, and can't find burner heads under 6" diameter. I need 3" heads to fit my stovetop.