Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44   #1

Control Cable

People - I need help quick. The shift cable on my boat is stuck due to some corossion. I was able to get it moving again by applting a little wd40 and working it back and forth. I remember reading somewhere that you could use a vaccume pump to suck oil into the cable to relubricate it. Am I high? I need to know today so I can make my weekend trip to Catalina.

I appriciate any help.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Your cable needs to be replaced. Once they start getting sticky it only gets worse. For now you can probably get by for a while so long as you move it frequently.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:06   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
From experience I can tell you that if it stuck due to rust you might want to replace it for peace of mind. There is nothing as exciting as coming into a dock expecting to applying the brakes by reversing it and having the cable break. I had a similar problem some years back. Luckily I had a friend with me who climbed down into a very uncomfortable position to become the shift on demand person. Even then it was very dicey getting back to the dock. The feel just wasn't there. I was lucky in tha the cable broke when I was in a cove a long ways from the dock.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:15   #4

Thanks guys - I just priced a replacement Teleflex 33C cable and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Hopefully WM can get it to me by tomarrow.

Next question - How do I get the control end out of the pedistal? It is an older brand, not Edison. Should I be looking for a lock screw of some sort? I see it goes through a block, but I didn't see screw or nut. Can I just push it out from the bottom? The cable is held firm at the other end.

Once again - Thank you for the quick replies.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:41   #5

Control cable replacement.

The cable comes with the cover...its a set. Disconnect both ends, remove the cable, remount the new one in the same position, secure it in the same place as the old one and connect both ends. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48   #6

I get that. On the engine side there is a bracket that secures the cable jacket to the boat. Is there usally the same type of bracket set up inside the pedistal, or does the cable just thread through a hole below the compass? Should I be looking for a screw or nut to free the cable from the pedistal?

I apologize if I am not being clear.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
They usually use the same type of U-clip or U- bolt to hold the cable to your shift control bracket. the end uses a stud which is screwed on the cable forming a 90 degree connection to your shift control arm, with an end pinhole to lock it on with a cotter pin. Having said that some also use a fork end connector.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25   #8

I am assuming that you have red jacketed cables mfred by Telfex. The end at the pedistal control usually clips into the control frame and then fits into a slot or clevis pin and the pin is secured with a cotter pin. After you have fit it in, adjust the cable slide using the lock nut on the threaded end. Your transmission shift arm (the Y on the transmission case) should move all the way foreward when you shift the pedistal control handle even a little bit foreward and all the way to reverse when you move the control handle to Reverse. I hope this helps. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 13:26   #9

Bob - Thank you. I was working on this late last night with just a head lamp and couldn't see all the way down. Tonight the compass comes off and the control arms will be removed and now I have an idea of what to look for. Got a new cable for less than $50. I hope to be good to go by cocktail:30 on Friday night. Last trip of the year to Avalon.