Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 10:29   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Construction Requirements / Offshore Vessels

After reading another threads about sinking boats it seems it would be good to start this list of items that vessels should have built-in or requirements to construction for off-shore vessels. EXCLUDING REMOVABLE SAFETY EQUIPMENT..... FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATS

I will start with some items I've noticed that has caused some controversy on what keeps boats afloat. Also I'm defining 'Floodline' as the amount of water a boat can take before it becomes obvious that it's becoming dangerous to stay inside and could possibly sink. Which could be much different to styles of boats.

Batteries- Kept and/or sealed above a reasonable flood line.

Internal Compartments- Fasteners on their lids/drawers/hatches to avoid dumping of supplies in a blow-down or roll-over.

Wiring- All joints between two lengths of wire or below a flood line to be sealed water tight.

Tanks- To be fully sealed (excluding plumbing) and secured to the hull for a full roll-over.

Windows/Hatches- Able to take pounding waves.

Cockpit Drains- Large enough to drain cockpit in reasonable amount of time (46 C.F.R. PART 178.450)

This is all I can come up with for the moment but may add more later.
Old 18-12-2010, 11:43   #2

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
well on mine i'v got two bilge pumps, but thats an obvious one. But I also have an additional pump, much larger and more powerful then the bilge pumps that is switch operated.