Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I've never been injured in any way from them"
You're making the same point as the many people who say "Seat belts can injure me, so I don't use them."

A salon table has only impacted my ribs once, and that was broad-on. Nevertheless, I prefer not to see sharp corners on cars, boats, or planes, because I know they ARE A HAZARD and they HAVE INJURED PEOPLE regardless of my own personal experience with them.

"A single hander overboard promises far more severe injuries "
Death, perhaps, but I can't see any reason why a mob would receive injuries from all that soft water around him.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... I can't see any reason why a mob would receive injuries from all that soft water around him.
I’d have thought that water’s incompressibility and surface tension might make it a somewhat “hard” surface, upon which to fall.
Just kidding, I know it's also "fluid".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 18:26   #48

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’d have thought that water’s incompressibility and surface tension might make it a somewhat “hard” surface, upon which to fall.
Just kidding, I know it's also "fluid".
Not to mention when it is cold !

-Sven
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, we are all ears, do you have a drawing of a design or a photo of the correct way to mount panels at stanchion height.

Pete

Hi Pete,

This might not be the correct way, but sure is my way
The black blocks are just bits of nylon cut and drilled. You could do similar with a thcik cutting boat with a circular saw. Or have them done at a shop

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Not to mention when it is cold !
-Sven
Indeed.
I have some experience with cold water boating.

White Water Canoeing - Downhill /w Dick Mitani (aft) @ 69mph - Take it to the limit, one more time ... Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79canoe_69mph-med_original.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	19830  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:24   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I've never been injured in any way from them"
You're making the same point as the many people who say "Seat belts can injure me, so I don't use them."

A salon table has only impacted my ribs once, and that was broad-on. Nevertheless, I prefer not to see sharp corners on cars, boats, or planes, because I know they ARE A HAZARD and they HAVE INJURED PEOPLE regardless of my own personal experience with them.

"A single hander overboard promises far more severe injuries "
Death, perhaps, but I can't see any reason why a mob would receive injuries from all that soft water around him.
The top of a stanchion, with only wire running thru it ,is a sharp corner. The top of a solid liferail is a smooth line, the opposite of a sharp corner and thus far less likely to injure.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:13   #52

I will be doing that very thing to my Cape Dory with SS fittings/tubing from Sailrite... It's their bimini/dodger harware items..Many different ways to accomplish the task. Easiest method is with 90º fitting set on the top of the stanchions at the end and T fittings in between and tubing running between...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I will be doing that very thing to my Cape Dory with SS fittings/tubing from Sailrite... It's their bimini/dodger harware items..Many different ways to accomplish the task. Easiest method is with 90º fitting set on the top of the stanchions at the end and T fittings in between and tubing running between...
So are you going to slide the tubing over the existing lifelines or are you removeing the lifelines and replacing with tubing?
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:16   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

although I can see that using the stanchion top T fittings would mean (multiple) short lengths of s/s tube - would they still not need at least a bit of bending? (to follow the hull shape) - if so, how do ya do that?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 14:00   #55
cruiser

Yes a bit of pre bending is a good idea, altho they could be sprung, as the curve is not all that great. You could tie a loop of line over it and bend it that way, as long as the curve is slight.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 18:34   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Connecting Two Life Line Stanchions with a Solid Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post
Still
What you are proposing is a good way to lose some fairly expensive gear overboard. Do the math and you will see the impaft force a panel and mounts must sustain from even rough seas, let alone a breaking wave.

Do it right and do it once. For the record I don't like most of the solar panel mounts that are in use now days. One breaking wave and you will have no panels, no mounts and holes in the hull integrity.

um saudade
One decent breaking wave hitting the panel will cause the panel to explode. Doubly so if you have strong rigid mounts - then the panel must absorb all of the impact and dissipate the load of the breaking wave BOOM Panel explodes in a million pieces
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 19:37   #57

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Connecting Two Life Line Stanchions with a Solid Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
although I can see that using the stanchion top T fittings would mean (multiple) short lengths of s/s tube - would they still not need at least a bit of bending? (to follow the hull shape) - if so, how do ya do that?
David usually you take full lengths and pre-bend them using the sheer of the boat in plan view as a guide because rails must match the hull form.
Then cut into sections between the relative staunchions and tack into place etc....
If you do in small pieces you tend to get flat spots in what we call the 'Green' area, the green area is the end of anything in metal that you are trying to shape, it's the tough bit at the beginning and end that you cut off and discard... Cheers frank

Tags
lifelines, railings, solar panels