Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 14:59   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Confused about bottom painting dinghy

I bought a 2007 fiberglass bottom, hypalon tubes dinghy. I have no contact with the previous owner.

The bottom and tubes to the waterline have been painted. It looks like twice. The most recent is black, and in some spots where it has rubbed off, green.

What should I do with this thing? I'm planning to mostly tow and leave it inflated in the water for the first two months this summer around the PNW and them deflate and store on deck to get to San Francisco. I point this out so it will be deflated sometimes.

I have west marine bottomkote silica epoxy black paint here at my house. Can I use this over the mystery paint! I know there is a rubber dinghy paint, but if like to do this project today or tomorrow and there is no west marine or any boat store nearby.

I don't want to hurt the dinghy. I don't know if any solvents in the bottomkote can hurt hypalon. I wonder if the PO used dinghy paint. Would the paint still be on there if he hadn't? Is there any harm in me just trying to use the paint I have, what's the worst case scenario, or am I better off leaving it all alone.

A second concern would be any fresh paint I use, I don't want to rub off on my freshly painted deck, or new white sails. As is, you can rub the dinghy and nothing comes off. If I put new paint on there will it make a mess of the deck or sails?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	81706  
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 05:21   #2

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Confused about bottom painting dinghy

That is probably anti fouling paint for dinghies. Wash down if ther is growth on it, might use a mild acid, then reprint. I take mine out once a month, scrub it with a brush, then after 2 years repaint.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:28   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Given that the current paint does not rub off, then it is probably not ablative. That means you can paint over it with ablative or non ablative paint. But if what you have on hand is ablative then it will rub off on sails etc. Get a non ablative paint, lightly sand the existing surface and paint it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:13   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Bottom paint on an inflatable makes a big mess on your yacht.

Better to just clean the growth off every week.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:22   #5

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Use dinghy davites. Easy to bring up dinghy when sailing or at night for security. I have been using bottom paint for years.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, dinghy, paint