Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 05:20   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Comfort Question

Good Day,

I guess I wore everyone out already, nobody responded to my last topic. Anyway, on my Triton, the interior of the cabin roof is unfinished fiberglass. I was thinking of putting up a headliner of sorts, do they make things like that in marine grade, so it won't rot?

Also, I know there have been threads already addressing this topic, and I read them. What I wanted to know is if there is anything new out there. I wanted to get a latex mattress, but I don't know if I need anything to assist on it breathing. There are just so many questions and I seem only to get half the picture when I research it, I need someone who has experienced it to get the last piece of the puzzle in place.

Thank you in advance for your time.

metta

Jeff
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 05:34   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Jeff,

Don't know anything new. On my boat the headliner is would covered with a vynyl fabric. I would guess it is a doorskin thickness. The joints where the wood meets are vocered with batten of teak. There is 1/2" plywood attached to the cabintop and the battens are screwed into the plywierd. I bet that you could find a plastic material that woudl work just as well if you went to a plastic shop.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 06:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Triton - I moved your post to the refit and maintenance area. Some of the maintenance guys only hang out in maintenance and this might get better visibility here.

I do recall a couple of threads about interior refit materials so you might try a google search as well.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 08:00   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
As regards the headliner, ........when I worked at Sealine, the liners were made from a panel of 3/16 or 4mm birch ply. Make a cardboard template, copy it to the ply, taking into acount the grain direction to allow it to bend. cut it slightly oversize, then mark and trim to get the finished fit. Make allowance for th vinyl to fold over the edges. Cover with a thin layer of foam, using spray adhesive in a few spots, then cover with vinyl, wrapping over the sides and fixing with short staples. Using dabs of stikoflex, mount it to the ceiling and prop in place with pre cut lengths of timber, with pads to prevent marking the lining.
Old 18-08-2009, 08:26   #5

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
I installed a FRP material that has a texture hard glossy finish, come in 4x8 panels, it conforms to multiple contours. Screwed and glued 1/2 ply battens as a firing then installed 1/2 insulation. Screwed the sheet with with cup washers and screws, covered the joins with a teak strip. You can purchase the FRP material at any of the home building store, it is commonly used in clean rooms and bathrooms, comes in multiple colors.

You can use wood battens (see this months cruising world) allot depends on your taste and what style you are going for.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 08:39   #6

I wonder if you could just roll on a thick coat of something textured like Kiwi Coat? Just a thought.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote