Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2013, 06:05   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Columbia 8.3 Power Refit

Hello members. I am new to this site and found it on google while looking for information on Columbia sailboats. I have an 8.3, 1977 Columbia which I have spent a lot of time and money on restoring as it was in pretty rough shape when I got it. Really enjoy sailing her but one thing that has always bothered me is the Atomic4 gas engine. I really don't like gas on a boat, just my pet peeve, so this fall I removed the A4. I have a yanmar 2QM15 which I've had rebuilt and I plan on installing it in place of the A4. Has anyone done this conversion on an Alan Payne columbia sailboat. Sure would like to talk to you. Any help most appreciated.
Thanks

Old 16-08-2014, 10:44   #2

Boat: Columbia 8.3
Re: Columbia 8.3 Power Refit

I am just completing a Yanmar 2GK20 refit for an Atomic 4 on a Columbia 8.3 and so far have not had any major problems. Then aluminum cradle sitting in the engine bed had to be modified but that required one day in the machine shop. The Yanmar is in the boat now but I am trying to make sure all the alignments are correct. My Yanmar and the Atomic 4 are close in dimensions but the A4 is narrower. I repacked the packing box but now I need to make sure that the length of the propeller shaft extending from the through hull is correct. I should have marked it when I removed the A4. Also, make sure that you measure the shaft and engine angle before removing the A4. Please let me know if you run across the Prop shaft length outside the boat.

JC

Old 16-08-2014, 14:49   #3

I've completed my refit and have been using the boat with the yanmar 2qm15 all summer. I did not use the atomic 4 brackets but used 4 angle brackets a friend made up for me as per original columbia specs. The angle is 15 degrees. Also if you look carefully at the shaft you should be able to see wear on it from the cutlass bearing. That would give you the dimension you are looking for. In my case the distance between the prop hub (forward side) and the cutlass bearing is 4 inches. I tried to keep it as close as possible to avoid the possibility of bending the shaft if it hit something.
Old 17-08-2014, 09:26   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.3

Sounds like we are on similar schedules. My prop shaft comes out of the stuffing box at a 10 degree angle and the aluminum cradle the attaches in the engine bed is also 10 degrees. Can you think why there may be a difference? Also, if we can figure a way I would love to see the pictures of your restore. This site doesn't allow new members to post email addresses.

JC
Old 19-08-2014, 05:20   #5

I sent you a private message

Tags
columbia, refit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: