Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 18:08   #46

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Cockpit Grates - Good or Not ?

I had a set of duckboards in the cockpit of Sabre Dance but took them out because they were wearing out. I wasn't planning on replacing them, the non skid finish was just fine for my tastes.

However, having just torched a large access hatch into the cockpit deck plate, I figure I'll build a new set so the deck is all level again. Plus I won't have to move the cockpit drains so that water won't jet upwards when I go full reverse. The boards will cover over the drains and deflect any water jet.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 19:12   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Had teak, looks nice ,expensive.Had dri dek ,hurts feet and knees. Got Home depot work mat, looks good, feels good ,no problems ,cost me nine dollars.
I know what you mean about the Dri-dek. What's more, my wife hated it.

Sail Delmarva: A teak Cockpit Floor for $145.00 Plus a Hour of Your Life

She likes this solution, which is a very good thing (teak tiles).
Old 14-10-2011, 12:24   #48

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Cockpit grates...good or not so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I removed my cockpit grates. Yes you can pick them up. I still pick them up there in the garage. Yes everything used to fall through them. Now its easy to keep the cockpit drains clear. I don't have to pick them up . Don't regret the change. Not passionate about the choice but I prefer this. Easier to maintain too. I suppose the removable grates could be used to bash a pirate over the head. Or thrown to a deck hand that's gone carelessly overboard. If you made them out of high grade steel they might even be able to be used as an anchor. Or better yet you could make them out of mild steel and lie about it.......
On the other hand maybe I should become passionate about this. Years from now forumites will be uttering not another grate thread.
I cannot believe that you would remove those beautiful grates..grates are great! They do trap food and beer caps and cotter pins ect. It's one of the fine design features inherent in the design. Those who have no grates cannot be true yachtsmen! Grates should be required just like fire extinguishers and Rocnas.

Todd

p.s. I pull mine in the winter to keep them spiffy.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:29   #49

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Used to love my grates when they were clean...don't miss them. Solid teak is much more comfortable on my bare feet.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 13:38   #50

Boat: Beneteau 41S5

I love my cockpit grates. I'm a bare-footer too. I had them out once and stepped onto the slick, damp smooth fiberglass underneath and performed the first and only splits that will ever occur in my lifetime.

Tie a line on, toss them overboard, drag them back aboard and re-place. Cleaned and lookin' good.
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit