Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 14:46   #31

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Re: Cockpit Grates - Good or Not ?

GordMay - Depends on the cockpit material. I have used 3" by 0.5" wooden teak slats running fore and aft on a plywood sole, and was happy with that. On a wooden ketch I put some considerable miles on, the center cockpit was teak on plywood, and very comfortable. BTW, this boat had a teak grate in the head for hand showers, and while it had to be cleaned often, it was comfortable and kept the floor relatively dry. [A head is a fine place for a teak grating.]

On a metal cockpit (which I am planning) it would be a pour of roofing plastic goop. There are a number of makes - both one and two-pot solutions. The advantage to this stuff is it protects the metal from dings, is a noise-suppressor, and is just soft enough to take prolonged standing without introducing leg pain. I do not have personal experience with this stuff, but brands I am investigating are KiwiGrip and Dex-0-Tex.

BTW, I enjoyed your recent post on the Colin Archers.

I am not intending to use Treadmaster pads epoxied to the cockpit sole, but will use them elsewhere on deck.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 15:18   #32

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956
A pretty grate on the cockpit floor seems appealing but I wonder if it is just something to collect grit, grime and small pieces of dropped stuff...like martini olives and small stainless hardware. Do you have a grate?
If the teak grate is left bare it can provide good traction, yet it can get really foul under from food scraps, dirt, sand, etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 15:41   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We have a grated section of cockpit flooring right in front of our companionway and it is very good at not allowing too much land grit, etc., to get down below. Plus, even though varnished in our case, it is very non-skid due to the waffle weave pattern. If our grate ever floats we will probably be going down, so I have not worried about that--might be something handy to grab as the boat sinks.
Old 12-07-2011, 15:57   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Certainly, the dirt and grit that comes aboard is not reduced or increased by the presence of the grate. What does happen, having the grate, is that much of the debris is left beneath the cockpit covering instead of being transported below. This can be periodically cleaned and flushed without the grit grinding into the cockpit sole. Over the past forty years we have had no cockpit grate, a teak grating and the plastic "dri-dek". I've never had concerns about comfort with my feet or knees on these surfaces. I prefer the covering on the cockpit sole and plastic is the easiest for care.
Old 12-07-2011, 17:11   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My wife finds Dri-dek agonizing on the feet and even worse on the knees. I don't like it either. We pitched it and went to teak slats. I like them on this boat.

My last boat was a performance boat with a FRP sole, and that was right for that boat. Anything else would have been annoying and ridiculous.

I think the only thing that is clear, is that nothing is clear!
Old 12-07-2011, 17:20   #36

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think grates have a place. They are good at dumping dirt so it doesn't track below. I sail barefoot.my boats cockpit layout makes getting them up a pain. So I have a cockpit sole of teak dealing and a gutter . My feat sttill get sore. Different boats different people. Some are just more grating
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 18:13   #37

Shiva has one I built years ago. I need to repair one outside piece. I like it and can't see a reason not to have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000868 (1014 x 760).jpg
Views:	623
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	29583   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030105.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	29584  

Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 11:53   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Which one is Shiva's?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:42   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I think both pictures are of Shiva Gord.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:58   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find grates do NOT come up in a sea that pops the boat--lol--- inmy boat the seas might come over the waist-- but there are no grates there. i find most folks who dislike teak just do not know how to properly care for the wood and dont want it as a result.
as for dirt-- is cleanable.. no problem. just clean when ye clean house and is done. dirt gets everywhere--even in yur hair-- so ye gonna shave yer head to spite your lifestyle???? best known nonskid is natural teak. unfinished, as gods made it to be, add finish and fall on yer ass. sorry is truth.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 15:35   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I think both pictures are of Shiva Gord.
Upon fourth examination, I realize that you are right.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 16:46   #42

Taken at different times and different angles and one before the seating teak was replaced... but it's the same grate I built back in about 1989 or so...and that's 22 years of service!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 05:33   #43

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 11:51   #44

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

rhr1956,
My grates run fore and aft so when the boat heels my feet don't slide across the cockpit sole. I think originally grates were designed to help keep your footing and your feet dry in an area that was generally slick, wet and uneven. Nowadays on modern boats they might have outlived their usefulness on a cockpit sole that is already flat and just needs a bit of non-skid paint. I still think they are attractive although always need to be brought up to clean the cockpit sole.
kind regards,
Old 12-10-2011, 15:01   #45

Boat: contessa 32

Had teak, looks nice ,expensive.Had dri dek ,hurts feet and knees. Got Home depot work mat, looks good, feels good ,no problems ,cost me nine dollars.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit