Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 12:38   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Cockpit Cushions for Christmas?

My daughter, who owns a Catalina 27, has asked for cockpit cushions for Christmas. Being a dutiful and doting father, I said, "Sure, honey.", not knowing how much they were going to cost. Years ago, we bought cushions from Bottomsiders for our own boat, which we like very much but the company is out of business. I also contacted C Cushions but they didn't answer their phone. A quick search turned up several options but most of the choices I could afford are open-cell foam which I think is a poor choice.

However, a continued search turned up www.foammart.com which sells 5-foot wide rolls of 1¼" thick ensolite foam for about $55 per linear foot (I think I'd need about 8 feet to fabricate the cushions myself). The person I spoke with said the foam cuts very easily with an old-fashioned electric carving knife and they sell the appropriate paint.

My question is, Has anyone ever tried this? Was it successful? Or does anyone know where I can buy a set of closed-cell foam cockpit cushions for under $500?

Thanks for the help.

Happy holidays, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 13:39   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Cockpit Cushions for Christmas?

C Cushions is back in business, recovered from Hurricane Harvey devastation. I suspect he has pattern already. Try calling Bill again.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:19   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
C Cushions is back in business, recovered from Hurricane Harvey devastation. I suspect he has pattern already. Try calling Bill again.

I just tried calling their toll-free number and I was connected to ‘Identity Protection Services’. When I tried their local number, no one answered. Thanks just the same.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:45   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Places that sell foam often sell yoga pads, closed cell, more flexible than backpacking pads. They are easy to bond with contact cement, to attain the desired thickness. You can cover them with Sunbrella to match the mainsail cover, too. Use velcro for the closure. [Try to get the exterior grade.] She could just hose them off. The royal blue cloth lasts the longest, if that's an issue.

Ann

Tags
christmas, cockpit, cushions