Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 04:39   #1

Boat: Oceanis 411
Cockpit Cushions - Cost

I have requested quote for seat cushions for the cockpit of my 40' beneteau. Initial estimate of more than $2000.
Anyone had this done of late and had a better price?
This sound about twice what I expected...
Old 01-09-2010, 04:53   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Where are you?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:04   #3

australia
Old 01-09-2010, 05:04   #4

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
We did "Bottomsiders" for our LN41. They were about 1.2 boating units if my memory serves me correctly. Will say that after 1 season I am happy with them.

MJ
MJWEENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:29   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
When I bought my 393 in 2004 a complete set of cockpit cushions cost $810. This was in Charleston, SC. Closed cell foam with mesh coverings.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:26   #6

"Closed cell foam with mesh coverings" - thanks Vasco, yes, that is my spec as well with sunbrella fabric. I'm thinking 50% compound inflation since 2004 should be a max, so this gives me a better price expectation - appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:28   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42
For what its worth, the on-line Bottom Sider quote for closed cell foam cushions--sand coloured with a navy blue pin-stripe--for a Beneteau 40 is $763 US or roughly $848 Aus (given the exchange rate). I'm not certain what surface shipping might cost, or the cost of import duties (maybe marked as "Ship's Stores in Transit" there wouldn't be any or that much), but I suspect the total would be well below your current quote.

We bought Bottom Siders in February 2002 and have been very pleased with their performance. See BottomSiders cockpit cushions for powerboats and sailboats

Cheers...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:33   #8

Has anyone recently seen standard-sized cockpit cushions? A few years back, West Marine carried them here in the US and they were roughly $100 per cushion, about 5 or 6 feet long and maybe 18 inches wide. There were 2 or 3 different sizes and I thought they would be a good fit for a lot of boats, but I have not seen them lately.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:36   #9
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
I am a new boater and made my own cushions with closed cell foam and sunbrella. I did a pretty good job and they look pretty nice, piping, backs the whole nine yards. Friends gave me bottomsiders for second set. I like the bottom siders better for overall carefree nature of them. I have only had them one season.
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidNot View Post
"Closed cell foam with mesh coverings" - thanks Vasco, yes, that is my spec as well with sunbrella fabric. I'm thinking 50% compound inflation since 2004 should be a max, so this gives me a better price expectation - appreciate the feedback.

You're welcome and yes mine have Sunbrella piping on them.
Old 01-09-2010, 14:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Has anyone recently seen standard-sized cockpit cushions? A few years back, West Marine carried them here in the US and they were roughly $100 per cushion, about 5 or 6 feet long and maybe 18 inches wide. There were 2 or 3 different sizes and I thought they would be a good fit for a lot of boats, but I have not seen them lately.

I've got a couple of them, got them years ago. They look like large flat boat fenders. Think they were made in New Zealand. Think the manufacturer was So-Pac. I use them for when I have to lie down and work on the boat or for protecting the boat like when I'm taking off my boom vang (very heavy). The cat scratched the hell out of them when I had them stored in my basement one winter. They're not as good as Bottomsiders as they don't have that smooth vinyl finish.
Old 01-09-2010, 16:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I've got a couple of them, got them years ago. They look like large flat boat fenders. Think they were made in New Zealand. Think the manufacturer was So-Pac. I use them for when I have to lie down and work on the boat or for protecting the boat like when I'm taking off my boom vang (very heavy). The cat scratched the hell out of them when I had them stored in my basement one winter. They're not as good as Bottomsiders as they don't have that smooth vinyl finish.
Right did you get them at West Marine? Anyway, it looks like neither Defender or West Marine offers them now. And So-Pac does not list them either.

Guess I have to keep looking.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions