Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2018, 15:18   #16

Re: Coating to protect fenders

Seems to me that the marks on the fender and hull are a consequence of the fender material itself breaking down in the sunlight. Maybe some is just local dirt but my experience is that the grubby material is a break down product on the fender. So..... cleaning is purely a temporary measure. We use T shirts from the local opportunity shop as it works and certainly extends the life of the fenders. I suspect also that any solvent or cleaning process would probably actually damage the fender material.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 18:22   #17

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
I know you said you don’t like fender covers as they are expensive but we met a cruiser who used ice hockey socks as they were relatively cheap
CarlF didn't let us know how big his boat is. I used old footy socks to cover fenders for years when I was sailing in the 28 - 30 ft class, but since I've joined the 50 - 60 ft class the fenders would need my fat a*se jeans!
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 18:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why not make covers from Sunbrella? Seems like those would last a long time.
I have this problem now, three of my fenders are old and leave marks, so it’s either cover them or buy more.
Sailrite has a material for this that I think they call Boat blanket material whatever that is, other sources say use fleece, but won’t the sun eat that up quick?
Sunbrella is great stuff in the sun but I've found it too aggressive when used as baggywrinkle. It rubs the wax and then the gelcoat off the side of my hull.
Old 20-09-2018, 18:34   #19

I know you said you don't want to find a new cleaner so this is slightly of subject. My mother-in-law (the best fisher person in the family) cleans the inflatable tender, all covers and the fenders with something called "Preen Vanish Oxi Action spray" which is a spot spray cleaner that you use on the clothes you accidentally got engine oil, fish blood etc. on before throwing them in the washing machine. She buys it for about 5 bucks Aussie ($4 US) and it works heaps better than a specialized inflatable boat cleaner that I paid AU$45 for!
Old 20-09-2018, 21:42   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One can use old T shirts. When you can pick up a bag of them for 2 or 3 dollars, you can change them out as they get ratty, for very little investment.

I wouldn't use Sunbrella, though, because it has little chafe resistance.

I have used, also, training pants legs from thrift shops--I like the grey ones. I have bought that kind of fabric and made fender covers out of it. They last okay, but are vulnerable to snagging on sticking out nails, and the ilk. Levi's legs would also work pretty well. The trick is to find the jeans in the thrift shops that are large enough diameter. Our fenders are pretty big.

The most recent ones I've made were from some polyester "canvas" I found in a yard goods store, on sale. They have faded, but are still in good condition after about 5 years....however, our usage of them is only occasional, as we anchor out far more often than we go into marinas.

I think the stuff sold by Sailrite is probably the best fabric for the purpose, and if you use ptfe thread to sew them, they'll last quite well, but it will depend on your use and how strong the UV is where you are.

Ann
Old 21-09-2018, 03:19   #21

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
T-shirts stuck over them work well, so do the commercial fabric covers.
And tracksuit pant legs, or extra large sweater sleeves
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:46   #22

Boat: custom 44ft Brewer cutter

Make sure that T-shirts and other material used to cover fenders is a blend with polyester. Just cottonwill rot quickly from sun UV. Poly fleece and sweatsuit material works well and lasts fairly long and I live on my boat 100% of the time in the tropics of SE Asia.
svcoquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:10   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I've just begun experimenting with "Marine Strip" -- that I'd seen recommended in various fora. So far, very easy, doesn't seem to adversely affect the fender material. It's said to work very well on shorepower cords, too, but I haven't needed to clean one of those recently.

It's almost as simple as wiping it on, then rubbing it off.

Don't know what's in it; might be similar to the paint brush and roller cleaner.

Year before last, I tried some 15 different products on our fenders... and what worked best at the time was Spray Nine... and lots of elbow grease... followed by some time in the sunlight. Other products weren't great (IOW, Totally Awesome... wasn't even close). This stuff works way easier/faster.

-Chris

Tags
fender, rot