Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 21:12   #31

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Yeah, it's on my list. There's a few to-do items at the top and spreader tips. I will definitely get to it soon. From my rig surveyor after handing him a camera.

Old 23-08-2010, 21:24   #32

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
Zopi,
I have an ascender for the right and left hand with the steps and daisy chain. Stand in the left and push up the right hand ascender, sit in the harness and raise the left one. Repeat. But as I'm getting older, it's getting tougher. Not to mention that just the shadow of my butt must weigh another 50 lbs.
WD
Heh..I bought the commercial ascender...can't recall the model right now..Petzel Ascension maybe...the lower ascender with the hitch is home brew..I descend on a rescue "8"

yeh..as my joints get more painful from stomping around steel decks for 19 years..I want to do less of that sort of thing...
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 09:38   #33

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design
I like the 4/1 and use ascenders as an emergency exit if a problem occurs... Also they provide great places to tie off when needed... The 4/1 with ratcheting pulleys proved much easier to go up and down vs. the ascenders... and the potential damage to the halyards was a consideration also.

Just an additional .02 worth.
Old 24-08-2010, 19:09   #34

Boat: Ericson 36RH
Send a message via Yahoo to spudsmirage27
winch someone up mast clarification

Hi,
I actually pulled myself up by hauling down on the jib halyard and just letting dad hold temporary tension using the clutch ,winch and cleat combo as I needed a break. I asked him if it was difficult and he sad plainly "No it is quite easy". I will heed your advice and google the prusik and maybe a trip to Hikers Haven for a demo.
Thanks, new member.
Spud
spudsmirage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 15:23   #35

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
For those who do do want want to buy, or use mechanical ascenders, try using: Either an Autoblock or Kleimheist knot instead of prussiks on your main harness line and you foot / feet line. They will hold when weighted, but are easier to slide up (or down) when unweighted, than a prussik.

- use a triple prussik on your safety line and make sure you "tend" the knot as you ascend - keep it somewhat tight, uniform looking. A prusik that is ignored and gets way to loose may not hold a fall.

If you are not experienced in climbing, talk a short lesson a rock climbing wall, or do some research (youtube, google, etc) on ascending fixed lines.

And practice in your garage, or off a tree limb, to make sure you have everything down pat. And the 1st time up teh mast, just go up 5 ft, and make sure you can come back down... try simulating a fall from 3-4 ft up, does your safety line hold you ,etc.

And whether you use a mechanical ascender or prussik type knots, make sure you keep as little slack in the lines as possible. If you get lazy and have 3 ft of slack in your safely line (prussik knot not move up enough as you ascend) and happend to take a fall, that will put an extreme amount of force on your rope, knot harness and you - something may fail. A 200lb person falling 3 ft onto a static (not a dynamic / stretchy rope like climbers use) will exert alot of force!

Finally the line used for prussik or kleimheist knots have to be the correct size for the line they are being wrapped around. Too small may not hold your weight, in a fall. Too big will not "bite" properly on the main line, which will cause it t oslode instead of grab, and it may not hold your weight either!

7 mm Accessory Cord, nylon. Use with 3/8"-1/2" (1cm-1.3cm) main line, red, 2,600 Ib (1,179 kg)SRP5008608 mm Accessory Cord, nylon. Use with 1/2"-5/8" (1.3cm-1.6cm) main line, black, 3,100 Ib (1,406 kg)SRP5009009 mm Accessory Cord, nylon. Use with 1/2"-5/8" (1.3cm-1.6cm) main line, 3,600 Ib (1,632 kg)

How to Tie and Use an Autoblock Knot -- Step 2 toTie an Autoblock Knot

Prusik Knot | How to tie the Prusik Knot | Climbing Knots

How to Make a Prusik Knot
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 03:23   #36

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Thanks for those links! Very informative
Old 26-08-2010, 03:51   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Mast Mate climber? Mast Mate Home
Bob, yes this is what we use. Raised on the spare topping lift up the trysail track because we have inmast reefing. We also use a harness with the spinnaker halyard for safety.

I like the mast climber, easy to climb and once up you are able to easily move about and vary the height to work on the masthead, it is afterall just a ladder. Indeed being able to get up above the masthead so working downwards is much easier than say a bonsuns chair which we found didn't go high enough. Haven't tried the knots or accenders approach though. I am good for an hour on the mast climber after fear and the strain of holding on becomes too much.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 04:00   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Good work man. Once you can work aloft and dive your own boat, there's not much left but the stuff in the middle. I still get a little weirded out going up. I need to run some fairleads all the way up 46' of spruce. I think I might get one of those ATN Top Climbers from west. It's hard enough getting that job done without needing to coordinate the schedule of the person down on the deck hauling you up.
I thought I was reading this thread for a moment
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40   #39

I've got mast steps, and a cheap climbing harness and a couple of Caribiners attached to one of those safety line type things (ie if i fall it is suppossed to unstich and act like a bungee cord too stop shock loads).

It works, harness is cheap and not particularly comfy to sit around in for too long, having said that i have climbed to top of mast while at dock just to have a cigarette up there and enjoy the view. The whole system is also really simple, so not too much to go wrong.

ps:- I"ve climbed the mizzen mast at sea, think it was about 3 metres of swell. A wind gen blade got taken out by the main halyard and the lack of balance in the wind gen was causing some serious vibrations. Ie mizzen mast was shaking and i could feel the whole boat vibrating, was worried it was going to bring the mizzen down, ended up climbing three times to get it all sorted. Er, didnt' actually use safety harness while doing so but have since resolved too make sure that i do.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 16:28   #40

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
MADE IT!
Sunday I finally got enough fuzz to go to the top of the mast. I actually got waist high above the mast and worked on it for about an hour. Found that the VHF antenna was toast, it got broke and someone just stuck it back togeather. I could hear but not talk. It was also a zero dba gain. So I got a 3 dba and am going to install it. Also found that the top spreaders are loose and need to have the holes rewelded and redrilled. I am most assuredly not going up when that boat is rocking and rolling. My fuzz does not extend that far!
Here is what scared looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast down.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	19494  
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 16:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeman View Post
I don't understand why you would crank someone up the mast when you can fix the line and ascend it all by yourself?
Because the person up the mast may need both hands free just to hang on.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast