Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 23:45   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Clear deck hatches for high latitudes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Matt, I dunno what acrylic you are planning to use but be aware that acrylic is often a UV filter (stops UV wavelengths shorter than 400 nanometers) but some is UV transparent.

Being as the UV is pretty potent here in summer (much more so than the mainland), it might pay to check on your choice of acrylic
Good point, I'd forgotten that little aspect of Tasmanian life. I've got a good supplier, I'll ask him to advise based on your caution.
Old 04-11-2018, 00:06   #17

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

In 1982 I replaced 6 acrylic deck hatches on a big Argentinean ketch in Fort Lauderdale. They were fastened with machine screws threaded into the acrylic (WRONG!) There were cracks at almost every screw. While in the yard a painter tossed a gallon of paint up onto the boat and it broke through one of the hatches, luckily paint did not spill. On strict explicit orders from the captain I replaced the acrylic with 3/8" Lexan, fastened with the same screws threaded into the Lexan (Wrong, in spite of my explanation of differential modulus of thermal expansion between plastic and stainless steel frame). In fact, I cracked one piece of Lexan by overheating the stainless while drilling to install new dogs. The captain wanted to test the strength , so we installed the cracked hatch and he, an athletic 200 pounder, jumped on it several times. It just flexed a little. Then he struck it a few times with a steel car wheel rim, causing only some slight marring. I don't know the long-term result. We used the darkest tint available and applied a tinted film, then lightly sanded the inside surface for privacy.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:29   #18

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Hmmmm....43* South?.....

Mine are bog standard Lewmar with the lightly smoked stuff..... works fine during 55*S winters... plenty light...

I also have the internal lewmar roller shades ... rarely used...and the fly screens.

Hatches are rarely open but the fly screens are always in place... clad in Glad-Wrap they double glaze the hatches and stop condensation which will be a problem if you are living aboard in a cold climate.

Ping
Back in Montt for a spell..
Old 04-11-2018, 03:09   #19

Interesting double glazing EP. I’d considered industrial bubble wrap, but your idea has my attention.

Partly because I know I’d pop all the bubbles on the wrap if I got bored.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:59   #20

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Okay before anyone says it yes I know I need to scrub the teak that's why there's a scrub brush to the right hand side, just waiting for it to rain.
On closer inspection I think the frost was accomplished by just sanding the top. And I was waiting for the can of worms to be opened... lexan or acrylic. See-through or opaque. What type of adhesive. Best way to insulate?....Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_074909.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	180108
Understanding the original question was to tint or not to tint
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:39   #21

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

]Slightly off subject - getting light into the boat in winter has been one of my biggest challenges here at 49N. The original owner had ever interior surface covered in cedar. (Yez, it smells amazing). But after 4 winters aboard it gets very dark and depressing with 8 hour days and 10 or more days between sunny periods.

So, purists be damned, I painted some strategic areas bright white. Our cabin, the galley and the heads. The effect was pretty easy to spot immediately. Happy people and the winters don't seem endless at all. I highly recommend this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_102807.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	180119Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_102826.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	180120
Old 04-11-2018, 10:56   #22

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
just waiting for it to rain.
Rain??

You don't use rain on teak!

You use seawater on teak!
Old 04-11-2018, 13:25   #23

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

But then I'd be left with no excuses! But I agree with you even though I don't think I've ever seen any teak rot.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
]Slightly off subject - getting light into the boat in winter has been one of my biggest challenges here at 49N. The original owner had ever interior surface covered in cedar. (Yez, it smells amazing). But after 4 winters aboard it gets very dark and depressing with 8 hour days and 10 or more days between sunny periods.

So, purists be damned, I painted some strategic areas bright white. Our cabin, the galley and the heads.
Only slightly off topic but very, very relevant all the same.

I’ve taken a similar approach with my boat. No regrets at all.
Old 04-11-2018, 13:46   #25

Boat: Nauticat 32

I sail mostly above 60°N. Clear deck hatches would not be a problem to me since I can always cover them, one way or another, above or below. The most common need to adjust light seems to be to stop light entering the boat at night. The nights can be very light here at summer. That does not bother me, but many others prefer to sleep in dark. At other seasons there's not that much light (nor heat), and clear hatches are then very welcome.

My main point is that if you have clear hatches, you can always adjust them according to your current needs. Tinted hatches will be always tinted. But I would be happy with tinted hatches as well. Not a big problem.

If I would design my dream boat for high latitudes right now, I'd order double glass hatches (if available somewhere). The reason is that when it is cold, the biggest problem is moisture that all the cold windows and hatches collect. Double windows and hatches would be great. They would also keep the boat warmer.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:48   #26

Clear deck hatches for high latitudes?

Quote:
On closer inspection I think the frost was accomplished by just sanding the top.
Thank you for taking the photo.

Seeing that finish I bet it does create a good light when the sun strikes it, but I can’t imagine giving up the view of the sky and the rig through the hatches, now I think of it.

Defiantly a VERY light tint for me.
Old 04-11-2018, 17:02   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Defiantly or not, it is nice to be able to see out.

Ann
Old 04-11-2018, 17:59   #28

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you for taking the photo.

Seeing that finish I bet it does create a good light when the sun strikes it, but I can’t imagine giving up the view of the sky and the rig through the hatches, now I think of it.

Defiantly a VERY light tint for me.
Matt, even if you use a slightly darker tint in the material, it will only be a few short years before it is almost clear.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 18:25   #29

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Okay before anyone says it yes I know I need to scrub the teak that's why there's a scrub brush to the right hand side, just waiting for it to rain.
On closer inspection I think the frost was accomplished by just sanding the top. And I was waiting for the can of worms to be opened... lexan or acrylic. See-through or opaque. What type of adhesive. Best way to insulate?....Attachment 180108
Understanding the original question was to tint or not to tint

Skip the hatches and the teak. Love the instruments. Giving me Datamarine flashbacks. Good ones.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 19:33   #30

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post

So, purists be damned, I painted some strategic areas bright white. Our cabin, the galley and the heads. The effect was pretty easy to spot immediately. Happy people and the winters don't seem endless at all. I highly recommend this!

Attachment 180119Attachment 180120
Great example. The whole "boats should be finished in dark wood inside" probably stems from the days of the windows tax
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hatch