Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 14:23   #16

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
A paint scraper with the corners rounded off will not dig in to the bronze and make the chore somewhat quicker.

Rob.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 14:48   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
How well does the plating work

And who did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I wash mine with hydrochloric acid using an acid brush. The stuff really cleans up most of the growth mess. I think this method is OK with bronze props. Mine are copper plated, hydrochloric does not eat copper so I don't worry about it. When finished, I just wash off with a hose. But hydrochloric acid won't leave any residue.

My friends use an orbital sander which does work. But I don't want to damage the copper plating on mine with a sander.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 15:23   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wood and plastic are excellent boat bottom tools. my neighbor dives my boats and uses a scraper then a bronze bristles brush on the hard stuff on th eprop-- usually isnt much hard stuff on prop. i use a walker bay scooped oar on the water line from in my kayak--lol, but the bronze prop gets special treatment.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 23:50   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
A 2 1/2" paint scraper for the prop blades. The scraper also has a 1/2 semi cicle cut out of the side to do the prop shaft. Keep the blade sharp and it makes it easier. I'll then take some #60, wet/dry sandpaper to the blade to get the last of the barnicles off. All done with a mask and snorkel.
I second the use of this scraper.. it's perfect for the prop and shaft. Then, instead of sandpaper, I use 3M metal finishing pad (the brow/reddish one). If you ever use it you will always use it. If on the hard use it like if wet-sanding.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The prop is pretty nasty right now, so I figure I'll need to go at it with a rotary sander of some type to blast the crap off when it's out of the water next. Once that's done and I drop it back in, what's the proper technique for under water preventive maintenance.
The easy way is to not let the barnacles attach in the first place. A smearing of lanolin grease heated with a hairdryer keeps the prop perfectly clean between haulouts. The hull might be a forest but you can still see your reflection in the polished blades.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:32   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
"Different strokes for different folks" - I was surprised to read from posts above that some recommended non-flexible paint scrappers. I always select a flexible putty knife about two inches wide with the corners ground off. I find it more efficient to have the flex of the blade follow the curve of the prop to remove the barnacles and scale. I use a simple snorkel and free dive as my single prop is reached with little effort and I have also been able to change my zinc with about five breath intervals. Definitely gloves, except when trying to fumble with the allen wrench for the new zinc.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42   #22

Funny you should ask about cleaning the prop here is what I use and it works very well. Even has a rounded notch which helps on the prop shaft:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: JUST SCRAPPING BY
It is also useful to clean the BBQ grill grates.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:27   #23

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
I am a sea-faring wench who must keep the bottom of her 52' boat clean in Florida- so here's some obvious tips you guys may find helpful.......
-wear a weight belt- makes it easier to get under!
-wear gloves- I like the knit gloves with rubber palms or an old pair of diving gloves
-a hookah or tank with regulator makes the job alot easier, but can be done with snorkel
-I have a Maxprop- I don't scrape it if possible, only use very stiff brush to preserve prop. If I am lazy and miss a hull cleaning, I always go and clean just the prop at least...
- West Marine sells a great new bottom scraper with a couple of blade shapes and a big protective handle- a little pricy at about 25$, but mine has lasted over a year and you can do a much better job due to the design.
-Remember, if you are scraping barnacles, plug your ears or wear a dive hoodie as the displaced barnacles are seeking a new home. Many emergency room trips in FL are because somebody cleaned a boat bottom and now has a barnacle critter lodged in an ear canal!!!

Happy Scraping!!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:55   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
The hull cleaners best friend.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The hull cleaners best friend.

I was waiting for you to chime in on this thread. Just a regular old wire brush huh?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:33   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I was waiting for you to chime in on this thread. Just a regular old wire brush huh?
Pretty much. It does have a scraper on the end.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:28   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
It depends on what you are taking off of your prop.

Here in Corpus Christi, we have the world's fastest growing barnacles. Dime sized in about 2 or 3 weeks. I don't thing a wood or plastic scraper would work.

I used to use a 1" wood chisel. Now I use a "10 in 1" paint scraper. As noted, it is excellent on the prop shaft.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57   #28

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
And who did it?
I DID THE WORK!!! And I will do it again this year as in years past.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27   #29

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
design.
-Remember, if you are scraping barnacles, plug your ears or wear a dive hoodie as the displaced barnacles are seeking a new home. Many emergency room trips in FL are because somebody cleaned a boat bottom and now has a barnacle critter lodged in an ear canal!!!
Yuk, that's new to me! And doesn't sound appealing at all to provide FOC housing for squatting critters...

I am amased at how many seems to use steel scrapers on their soft bronze (?) props.

would never do that. A piece of wood yes. Or plastic - as a credit card or ice scraper or something along those lines...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:23   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
Yuk, that's new to me! And doesn't sound appealing at all to provide FOC housing for squatting critters...

I am amased at how many seems to use steel scrapers on their soft bronze (?) props.

would never do that. A piece of wood yes. Or plastic - as a credit card or ice scraper or something along those lines...
Wow. Maybe THAT's what the problem was! I do use earplugs now!

I have no choice - we have a LONG growing season here, and they grow quickly. I try and do them every 2 weeks - but there's no way a credit card or ice scraper would work.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote