Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2009, 06:52   #31

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Vasco is correct ;PLASTIC scotch brite pads are the riggers choice for cleaning rigging (and other S.S. hardware).
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 07:06   #32

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
While opinions vary, what I really like about Spotless Stainless is it will get in places you're not able to rub, scrub or polish and completely remove the rust. Plus, when you're a geezer like me, it makes life much easier.
Old 27-11-2009, 16:41   #33

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Steel wool?? Surely not STEEL wool That will cause rust like crazy
Oh please. You wipe the stainless off with mild soap or detergent on a rag afterward. I'd be more concerned about what all of those harsh chemical SS cleaners do to the assorted plastics, ropes, and fiberglass common on a boat rather than worry about what a few iron particles will do if they don't get immediately wiped off. Heck, use a scotchbrite pad instead if it worries you that much.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:20   #34

Boat: Bristol 29
Spotless Stainless Trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotless View Post
Hi,

My name is Allen with Spotless Stainless. Spotless Stainless was just released to the market October 2009. The product that barnakiel used last year was not spotless stainless.

We and others who use Spotless Stainless have had good success. The product was developed by my wife and I after ~4 years of working with different methods/products to clean and protect stainless steel.

We get at least 3 - 6 months after cleaning stainless before seeing any rust spots return (we are in salt water). There is a customer testimonial on our site that discusses the process and protection time.

Spotless Stainless works on a different principle than polishes. Spotless Stainless is not a polish and not abrasive. It is like placing your stainless in a chemical bath. You brush it on (allows you to reach into very tight places will adhere to vertical surfaces) wait up to 30 minutes and then rinse.

Spotless Stainless removes the rust and and unlike other products removes the free iron that causes rust from the surface of Stainless Steel.Spotless Stainless enables a rich chromium layer on the surface of Stainless Steel which reacts with oxygen in the air to form a tough protective oxide layer. This oxide layer protects stainless and will extend the time between cleaning. We have an extended protection product in final testing. After cleaning if the stainless is exposed to air it may brighten even more for up to 24 hours. It is environmentally friendly and will not harm humans, marine life, fiberglass, wood, aluminum, most materials.

Sorry about lack of contact information other than email. We now have a phone number that is robo-dial resistant. There are many products that do not include a MSDS on their website including Wichinox mentioned above.

cheers
-allen
Well, I bought a small container of this cleaner and tried it out on a few shackles on Saturday. I painted it on the two shackles repeated over a period of about an hour. I did not see the results advertised. Some rust remained, some discoloration. Certainly not shiny and bright like new. I will try more extensive testing and see what it does.

David
Old 07-12-2009, 20:28   #35

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Just got mine today. Will have to wait till it warms up over 70 deg to try it out.
I will report on it when I can.
Bob
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13   #36

Boat: Bristol 29
To be fair to Allen and his product Spotless Stainless, I have tried more extensive testing and found that the batch of product I bought was inordinately thick, which for me, seemed to reduce its effectiveness. I contacted Allen and he sent me additional samples to try; I found a different lot batch that was thinner to work very effectively, cleaning some stainless hardware badly rusted within the 30 minutes or so specified in the product directions.

I would certainly use the product again.

BTW, it seems to be more activated by warm weather, at least 70 degrees.

Cheers,
Old 08-01-2010, 08:11   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We ordered some - and haven't had a chance to try it. Got this note shortly thereafter from Allen:

Good day, we learned that a small amount of Spotless Stainless that was thicker than it should be was shipped. If your order of Spotless Stainless does not readily pour from the bottle you received the thick formulation. This may present a problem if you attempt to remove rust from very tight places such as crevices, welds etc.

The good news all you need to do is thin by adding fresh water. If your Spotless Stainless is thick begin thinning by adding water until to get the thickness that will reach the areas you need. Do not thin more than 1:1 (1 part water to 1 part Spotless Stainless). Be careful not to add to much water that the solution will not adhere to vertical surfaces. By adding water you will increase the amount of Spotless Stainless you purchased. In general you can add water up to 1:1 to Spotless Stainless if you do not need the viscosity to adhere to vertical surfaces. For example if you use Spotless Stainless in a bath to treat hardware.

We apologize for any inconvenience. As you know we just began production of Spotless Stainless and as a result are working through a couple of production inconsistencies. If you have any problems getting the expected results let us know.

Thank you for your order of Spotless Stainless. We look forward to hearing your results.

cheers
-allen
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 23:52   #38

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Just got mine today. Will have to wait till it warms up over 70 deg to try it out.
I will report on it when I can.
Bob
Going down to 18 tonight. For those that don't know Corpus Christi, thats a record of some sort I am sure. In the 8 years we have lived here, only one light freeze, and no heavy freezes.
On the dock today, with 40 deg F, and a 20 knot wind, it sure felt like Philly in the winter. But then I am not used to the cold any more.

So using this product will have to wait some more. At this point, It don't look like I will be seeing 70 deg for a while.... brrrr.....