Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 17:20   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Great explanation Acoustic to the repair/cleaning issues Awlgrip LPU. I have been working with it for years trying to explain why you can’t buff to paint contractors.

I will now print yours and have them read it. Thanks!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 18:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Chuck,

I too have applied my fair share of Awlgrip & various other two part paints and spent years when I was younger as a detailer/1 st mate/general mechanic and grunge on big yachts and have never seen the damage you talk about with acid based cleaners with one caveat "when used appropriately". When used incorrectly I have seen the results of acid etching.

Far worse though are the finishes that never get washed and do not have a protection layer in the form of a paint sealant applied. More often than not the finishes that have been well cared for, look far better, even when acids have been used than does an Awlgrip finish with only the occasional rinse.

Most often acids are unnecessary and can be avoided if the paint has been properly protected. Plus Awlcare will remove the majority of rust and tannin staining so any acid use will be very minimal.

This boat had acids used along the waterline for many years and not very "carefully". I reconditioned this Imron finish when the paint job was over 18 years old. She showed no signs of acid etching. How long is "cut the lifetime of the paint"? If this one is now going on 20 seasons next spring and still looking damn good. How long do you expect it to last if 20 years, with this type of shine, is not enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Yes if you want to use acidic products on the boat it will clean it but rinse as quickly as you like but you have still cut the lifetime of the paint.

This was my hull 1 day after she was hauled, & just as she came out of the water, a few weeks ago after 5 1/2 months. She had two coats of Awlcare on her when she went in the water and one coat applied in water mid season. She had no rust or any stains along the waterline.

This was my un-sealed or waxed dinghy after only four weeks in the same water not 5 1/2 months. I had already cleaned a small section to show before and after.

Proper care of painted finishes will go a long way to a long life..

As for the OP being in Mexico I still believe he can mail order Awlcare and Black Streak Remover even with a high shipping price tag it will be far less than damaging a new finish. When I worked on big yachts we ordered stuff in some very out of the way islands & many third world countries and still had the product within a few days to a week max.

Again, there are atrocities committed on Awlgrip finishes each and every day that are far worse than the occasional and careful use of acids namely lack of care, use of abrasives, fender rash, the wrong cleaning products used in the wrong manner etc. etc....
Old 05-11-2008, 20:21   #18

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Thanks to everyone

Well....I did find all wash (?) at our local boat store. It was $75 for a gallon. They also had simple green. I used a spray bottle of simple green, and eventually ended up with a small hand scrub brush for the non skid, and a small soft scrubber for the cabin sides and hull sides. Man it was ALOT of elbow greese but I think I got most of it....just sprayed on the Simple Green and scubbed a small area and hosed it plenty....oh I forgot to mention I was afaraid to use a power washer because the water pressure goes from full on to to a dribble and everything in between during the day...:-)
It was nasty stained in some areas and came off fairly easy in others. The streaks on the hull sides went pretty easy (thank God the boat has a rub rail at the top that also serves as a drip rail.
While I was doing this today I had a long time to think about things. This Trimaran in 34' x 22' = 748 Sq. Ft. of deck area! I think that works out toa 55' x 14' Monohull....:-) Then it was 3 hulls both sides and the underwings....whew!
Any how, you have given me a new education and appreciation for the paint I am dealing with. I may order some of the streak stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA250067.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	5786   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA250064.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	5787  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 20:28   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
She looks sweet!

Wow she looks great! That's a lot of real estate to clean!!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:40   #20

Glad the stains came out. It looks great.

Acoustic, I did not realize you were Maine Sail on the other board. Thanks for commenting, you are very good.

Here is a new one for you. We have Awlcare and use Awlseal for the smooth surfaces. It looks great when applied but we have found it traps coal dust from a nearby coal pile. Our bay is a shipping location for coal freighters, when the breeze is from the west we get a light dusting. It is almost like the coal embeds itself in the seal but not on stick to the unsealed paint. I end up using a finesse it compund to get the sealer off and then reseal till the next time we get dusted.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote