Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 01:00   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39
Clean and Anti Foul Fiberglass Hull (Cairns)

Good Evening

I have recently purchased a 39ft fiberglass yacht (Cheoy Lee). I will in the next three weeks be hauling, cleaning and anti-fouling. She has not been attended to by previous owner for at least 18 months Not a criminal offense, but slightly neglectful . Being in a tropical climate, from past experience with a ply/dynel yacht, growth is a problem. I am expecting a moderately nasty surprise on haul out.

I have no experience with fiberglass barnacle, marine growth removal, cleaning, prep and anti-fouling. I am guessing that the technique is different to ply (pressure blast, scrape off, orbital/power sand, repairs, base coat and anti-foul). I am assuming power sanding the hull of a fiberglass yacht is not an option unless necessary????

If anyone has experience with fiberglass hulls, I would very much appreciate information/technique/process/equipment that is require to complete this time consuming job effectively.

Regards
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:06   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Clean and Anti Foul Fiberglass Hull (Cairns)

Actually, if you can hold yourself back from sanding the gelcoat, you can do yourself a big favor. Simply put, the gelcoat, if sanded, sands off the tops of tiny bubbles, which then remain open to: whatever, filth, stain, etc. that impair its appearance. If your gelcoat is still good, but oxidized, I would recommend PolyGlo applications to the hull. The stuff comes in two parts, a cleaner, which you hose off, and a polymerizing substance that you put on with the equipment supplied by PolyGlo. We found the finish thus applied on a 30 yr. old Yank boat, made it look really good. And subsequent annual applications kept it that way.

There's a similar substance sold in the US, called TSRW (This Stuff Really Works). Never used it, but the Poly Glo has my personal seal of approval.

Ann
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45   #3

Cheers Ann

Using a product such as 'PolyGlo' would seem to address rejuvenating and protecting the 'gelcoat' above water line, and possibly bellow. However, removing the growth from the hull would seem another matter, and hence why I mentioned sanding. or not sanding the hull, as I assume it wold strip the gelcoat, if it is not already damaged
pressure blasting and scraping will I guess remove the majority of growth, however, the barnacle residue from past experience sticks, and will not come off without sanding, unless there is a chemical etc that is used on fiberglass to avoid sanding ???? Also then, if an existing anti-foul is in place, I am guessing fiberglass yachts require anti-foul also, then this either needs to be removed and or re-coated. All these processes I am not familiar with, as far as what is the actual process/tools/method required, etc.

Cheers
Old 12-05-2014, 00:11   #4

I have read that products such as muriatic acid (HCl)

On-Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner

Apparently these products clean most nasty residue, stains from a fiberglass hull. If anyone has experience with these products I would be very interested to hear.

Regards

Tags
fiberglass, hull