Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2016, 06:20   #1

Clamp for pipe (radar mount)

Hello All,

I'm planning on installing radar this year. I have a small boat, currently the aft deck of the boat is covered by my solar panel. I want to mount the radar on a pole that will bolt to the stern (which is angled aft significantly), so that it will not shade my panel.

Seems like a not too hard job, but I can't find the clamps to mount it. I'm searching under "pipe clamps" but that's not turning up much.

I'm looking for something equivalent to the clamps that you mount an Aries vane with. And ideas?

Old 15-02-2016, 06:39   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Clamp for pipe (radar mount)

Try "tube clamps". You should find what ye seek.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 16-02-2016, 13:13   #3

Thanks. Crazy thing is I can't find them in McMaster Carr.
Old 16-02-2016, 13:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Maybe fittings used i n construction scaffolding?

Jim
Old 16-02-2016, 13:46   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Best method I know to hunt something down is to use Google image search (you'll understand when you try it). There aren't a lot of suppliers for these things, so ordering over the Internet may be your best option. You might find balustrade parts suppliers that have what you are chasing in stainless. There's also at least one European company that makes a DIY tube assembly system for either aluminium or stainless that supply the components (albeit $$$) for joining and clamping tube. Unfortunately their name escapes me at the moment.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-02-2016, 14:15   #6

Boat: gone boatless

McMaster Carr
Look at Vibration Dampening U-BOLTS
Worked for me.
Old 16-02-2016, 16:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Try this.

http://www.dxengineering.com/search/...Clamp&kr=Clamp

OR you can talk to Garhauer, I have had the mak me custom clamps. VERY reasonable.
Old 16-02-2016, 18:14   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

I can spot a Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 a mile away...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 20:28   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Using the radar tube pipe as a mandrel, you can easily build some composite clamps to bolt things to the transom with.

Wrap the section to be used as a mandrel in 3mm neoprene, or something similarly compressable & flexible. Over top of this, lightly apply a layer or two of cleer plastic packing tape. So that you don't wind up with your "sleeve" glued to the Aluminum tube.

Using Fiberglass & Resin, build a "sleeve" around the tube: Which, when you remove the aluminum tube, is large enough to square up, cross section wise, on a table saw. With room on either side of the hole for the tube, to install mounting bolts.

Followed by which, you'll attach a G10 or Aluminum plate to the aft side of the mount (& to the front side too, if you like).
These are to take the loadings from the bolts holding everything to the boat. Just as a backing plate does for hardware on the inside of a vessel. -> Which you'll also need to add, too.

Then cut the (now square, okay, rectangular) sleeve, in half, along it's transverse axis. Or, do it (carefully) with the aluminum tube still in place, if the tube's firmly stuck.

Then, if you like, you can take this "sleeve", & shorten it into sections which will serve as individual clamps. As opposed to one long one.

And from there, take it to a machinist, who'll drill it for the bolts which will go through the sleeve, on either side of the tube. And will hold the front & rear halves of things together, subsequently holding the pipe in the mount. And too, these same bolts can be used to affix everything to the transom. Or you can have some seperate holes drilled into the mount for it's attachment to the boat.

Keep in mind too, that you'll likely have to do a bit of "shimming" in order to get it to your mount (or "clamps") to; fit flatly against your transom, given the transom's built in compound curves & angles. And also, the shims will allow you to tune the angle of the mast so that it looks "right"/suits your desires.

Altenatively, for a more KISS mount. You can cut a circular hole in your boat's deck, back near the transom. And then laminate a circular sleeve around the tube, with it in place. After preparing the tube so that it doesn't get glued into things. As explained above.

And, of course, you'll want to properly attach this integral sleeve, to the deck's underside, & at it's heel, using plenty of cloth & resin, as well as a few knees, top & bottom.

So; Bottom Line, you're simply building a sleeve for the tube. One version's internal, & the other bolts onto the transom. Also, the more complexity which you add, the longer it takes to build. And the more expensive it is.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 20:48   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
McMaster Carr
Look at Vibration Dampening U-BOLTS
Worked for me.
With these, given that the tube's aluminum, did you do anything in order to prevent the tube from getting dimpled, where the bolts wrap around things?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 22:13   #11
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Search for plastic pipe clamps and you will get lots of hits.

Old 17-02-2016, 00:49   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
Search for plastic pipe clamps and you will get lots of hits.

I believe this style clamp is sold by hydraulics distributors and are used to clamp hydraulic piping to various structures. However the plates and bolts are generally not stainless steel but it would not be a problem to make replacements from stainless or alloy.

I make clamps out of alloy or stainless square or rectangular tube by splitting it longitudinally, drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the resulting U sections and bolting them flange to flange with a spacer washer in between then drilling through both sections with a hole saw in a drill press.
Old 17-02-2016, 07:24   #13
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I believe this style clamp is sold by hydraulics distributors and are used to clamp hydraulic piping to various structures. However the plates and bolts are generally not stainless steel but it would not be a problem to make replacements from stainless or alloy.

I make clamps out of alloy or stainless square or rectangular tube by splitting it longitudinally, drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the resulting U sections and bolting them flange to flange with a spacer washer in between then drilling through both sections with a hole saw in a drill press.
You can get them in stainless, I have used plenty in hydraulic systems on work boats.
I am in the process of using them to clamp my solar panel brackets to the arch as well.

Tags
radar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: