Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 23:02   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: chimney hole angst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
"A sloppy hole that is covered by the deck fitting would be the result."
Excuse me, do you not remember saying this? If as Minaret says, you meant the slop in a dimensional way and not a workman like manner way, then I do sincerely apologize, because it sounds more derogatory than anything else to me.
Dimensional

I was agreeing with Minaret that is is near impossible to cut a perfect hole in a cambered deck with a jigsaw, keeping in mind that this is foojin's thread, started because he wanted confidence in method before he turned the jigsaw on. I don't think he has your experience or this thread wouldn't have been started. I think you, Minaret, or even I could cut a hole that is respectable in any number of ways, but none of us asked how it should be done - we just would have cut the hole in a way we were comfortable with. With a few decades of experience it is easy. Especially with a full set of tools to choose from.

I don't think one without a lot of experience would find it easy to do a good job with a jigsaw that may wander. A holesaw with a pre-drilled pilot hole takes a lot of the ifs away.

As far as the comment about the price of a large holesaw I have already posted the suggestion of a rental.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:32   #62

Boat: Tayana 37

Thanks to all for the advice and ideas I did not think of. Came back this morning, expecting one or two replies, and was happily surprised to see so many.

Home Depot here does not rent 5" hole saws, but did find one after making a few calls. I think I will follow the suggestions, beginning with the hole saw. If I have problems, may fall back on the jigsaw. I am told that at the site of my chimney the cabin roof is cored by about 3" of wood. Seems like a lot, but I'll be prepared.

Anyway, the help is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Nothing sloppy about the opening at all, Dickinson calls for a 6" hole for a 3" flu, camber is made up with a teak fairing block, angle was taken with a bevel square then used to make up a 2" thick teak fairing block, stack is nice and plumb.
That's interesting. My Dickinson manual, same as the one on their site, says 5" hole for 3" flue, 6" for 4" flue, though I suppose no harm done by having a larger than specified hole.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:18   #63

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
...Home Depot here does not rent 5" hole saws, but did find one after making a few calls. I think I will follow the suggestions, beginning with the hole saw....
Good for you, an expensive hole saw is a relative term - as opposed to the work been done by a yard or worse yet, if you start the incorrect way and then have to pay someone else to fix it. You need to put it in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
...That's interesting. My Dickinson manual, same as the one on their site, says 5" hole for 3" flue, 6" for 4" flue, though I suppose no harm done by having a larger than specified hole.
Its easier to fill the clearance than having to enlarge the hole.... it seems you need a 2" clearance bt the pipe and the deck.

Lets us know how you progress... best of luck.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 20:01   #64

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

[QUOTE=minaret;1440422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

BTW, I often use an 18V cordless drill for hole saw cuts up to 4-5", depending on the material I'm cutting and how thick it is. It's not good for the drill, but if you have quality tools and cut carefully you can usually get away with it. No side handle needed, but then I am not small...

+1. Like Minaret said, a good 18v cordless, a couple of full charged batteries, 5" hole saw ($30 +-), clutch turned down and pilot hole drilled vertical from both sides. It's fiberglass and wood, not stainless steel. Proper tool for the job. Easy peasy.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 20:49   #65

It was pretty easy. Somewhat awkward start because I had to remove a tiny deck vent that was where the pilot bit needed to go, so had to first screw a piece of plywood down over the hole so it could hold the pilot bit.

Rented a razor-sharp hole saw. I have a good Makita 18v cordless, with two batteries. Thought it was the cat's meow, but it came up short. The batteries just could not sustain the power needed to drill a 5'' hole through 2.5" of fiberglass and hardwood. Even after recharging both batteries I was able to only drill about an inch into the cabin roof.

Ran out of patience. Rented a Hitachi drill with side handle. Took it's time, though I was in no hurry, and it punched through. Nice clean hole.

The only issue was using a hole saw with a 1.5-inch cup. I needed to stop, remove the plywood I had screwed down, and a layer of wood and fiberglass, before I was able to finish the job. There was nothing for the pilot bit to bite into, but it was no longer needed.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 03-02-2014, 20:57   #66
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Thanks for coming back to let us know how it went. Can you envision making the same cut with a jig saw or Sabre saw?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:01   #67

Yes, congratulations!

2 1/2" is quite a bit to cut through- good trouble-shooting.
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:19   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Thanks for coming back to let us know how it went. Can you envision making the same cut with a jig saw or Sabre saw?
This forum does not allow the ability to "like" a post unfortunately.

I like this one.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:25   #69
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
This forum does not allow the ability to "like" a post unfortunately.

I like this one.

We have a "thanks" button here instead.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Quick answer is no. I'm sure it can be done, but with a steadier hand than mine, and by someone with more patience.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03   #71

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well done! Send us a photo.