Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2014, 21:46   #46

Boat: Ingrid
Re: chimney hole angst!

I wish I had taken more pics of the hole itself. I didn't realize it was going to become scrutinized this thoroughly. Live and learn.

Excuse me, I don't do sloppy work. My deck iron fit into the hole with a 1/4" clearance all the way around it. I used no fairing block (which you CAN see in the pic).

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat, no? I use these tools on a daily basis, hole saws, jig saws, sawzalls, etc etc etc. could I do it with a hole saw? You bet! I chose a jig saw with an abrasive blade and gents, I frigging nailed it as usual

I showed mine, show me yours!

Old 14-01-2014, 22:04   #47
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I wish I had taken more pics of the hole itself. I didn't realize it was going to become scrutinized this thoroughly. Live and learn.

Excuse me, I don't do sloppy work. My deck iron fit into the hole with a 1/4" clearance all the way around it. I used no fairing block (which you CAN see in the pic).

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat, no? I use these tools on a daily basis, hole saws, jig saws, sawzalls, etc etc etc. could I do it with a hole saw? You bet! I chose a jig saw with an abrasive blade and gents, I frigging nailed it as usual

A 1/4" might as well be a mile where I'm from. I get hassled about a 32nd all the time. I'm sure it's a fine install, and I think you are getting upset about a misunderstanding in phrasing. "Slop" is just a normal carpentry term for a loose fit in a hole, it's not meant to be deragatory. No one is accusing you of sloppy work. In fact, one might intentionally ask someone to cut something with a "sloppy" fit, or a press fit, or somewhere in between. It's just like shave the line or take the line when cutting.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 22:11   #48

A quarter inch gap on a bronze deck iron in a beveled hole in fiberglass is best practice IMO. Direct contact between the bronze and the fiberglass edge would bug the crap outta me, but that's just me I guess.

"A sloppy hole that is covered by the deck fitting would be the result."
I dunno, sounds sorta derogatory, doesn't it?
Old 14-01-2014, 22:14   #49
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
A quarter inch gap on a bronze deck iron in a beveled hole in fiberglass is best practice IMO. Direct contact between the bronze and the fiberglass edge would bug the crap outta me, but that's just me I guess.

I dunno, sounds sorta derogatory, doesn't it?

Clearly to you, it does. And for that I apologize. But I still fail to see how a jig saw or Sawzall is in any way the better tool for this application. If you want a loose (not sloppy!) fit, just use a slightly bigger hole saw.

Old 14-01-2014, 22:22   #50

Why are you apologizing, you didn't say it? That's just pandering! I'll bow to your choice of tool sir. I do it all the time with the tradesmen that work for me.

So now we'll be looking for hole saws in 1/32nd increments. That should be available for rent at Home Depot (as has been suggested) any day now.
Old 14-01-2014, 22:27   #51

Oh, I get it now.
I haven't been clear. The deck iron (mine anyway) has a beveled surface as it passes through the deck. I beveled the hole to match the beveled surface of the deck iron. Unless someone invents a beveled hole saw, I don't think there's any other way to do it than to use a jig saw.
I still have the plug on the boat. I'll get a picture of it in the next day or two and it will become obvious.

My bad for not communicating very well.
Old 14-01-2014, 22:28   #52

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Thought I might remind everyone, we're drilling a hole! Good sized hole, but still, just one hole.
Old 14-01-2014, 22:30   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Thought I might remind everyone, we're drilling a hole! Good sized hole, but still, just one hole.
Hey, Hey ...... It's a slow night.......
Old 14-01-2014, 22:40   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:

I didn't say anything about sloppy work, you did. If a hole is made and it doesn't fit perfectly it is sloppy, intentional or not.

This thread seems to have long legs but if you remember the original post you will realize that if he "used these tools on a daily basis" he probably wouldn't have started the thread. He would have just made the hole one way or another and been finished.

I will stick by my opinion that for one not used to using tools on a daily basis a hole saw of the correct size is the easiest way to get an accurate hole in a deck, especially if it is not a flat deck.
Old 14-01-2014, 22:59   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

When I replaced my forward hatch a few years ago I found that the balsa core deck wasn't properly protected at the edges of the cutout, just exposed balsa showing when the old hatch was removed. It was dry due to the excellent butyl sealing the factory (Canadian Sailcraft) did. I could have removed the balsa in several different ways. The deck was a very consistent thickness around the opening, as was the balsa a consistent 1/2". I used a laminate trimmer with a 1/2" rabbet bit with a guide bearing and the removal was perfect all the way around. It also only took a few minutes to do. I could have hacked it out several other ways and it would never have been seen again after the thickened epoxy was in place. But I enjoyed doing it neatly because I would have known what it looked like under the hatch that will probably never be removed. It was also the fastest way to accomplish the job.

I have been using hole saws to make round holes in many things for decades. I use jigsaws for the ones that aren't round.
Old 14-01-2014, 23:03   #56
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh, I get it now.
I haven't been clear. The deck iron (mine anyway) has a beveled surface as it passes through the deck. I beveled the hole to match the beveled surface of the deck iron. Unless someone invents a beveled hole saw, I don't think there's any other way to do it than to use a jig saw.
I still have the plug on the boat. I'll get a picture of it in the next day or two and it will become obvious.

My bad for not communicating very well.

Hole saw followed by a laminate trimmer with a chamfer bit?

Old 14-01-2014, 23:17   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I didn't say anything about sloppy work, you did.
Excuse me, do you not remember saying this? If as Mineret says, you meant the slop in a dimensional way and not a workman like manner way, then I do sincerely apologize, because it sounds more derogatory than anything else to me.

One last time and I'm outta here.

I beveled the surface of the solid fiberglass deck to match the beveled surface of the deck iron. The resulting seal between the two surfaces is a much better seal than any straight cut holes surface, to a beveled surface. I don't care how many holes you drill, or how many tools you have, or what you do for a living, that's a fact. The only way to cut a beveled hole in 1/2" fiberglass is using a jig saw with an angle on the blade that matches the bevel on the deck iron. If there is a better tool that performs that function, tell me!

I hope you'll excuse me if I don't wait up for an answer though?
Old 14-01-2014, 23:18   #58

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"Hole saw followed by a laminate trimmer with a chamfer bit?", and then get the thing put together and loaded with some fat wood and enjoy lunch by the fire. Then back to work, we have to cut a piece of wood this afternoon. Hmmmm, how to make the cut?
Old 14-01-2014, 23:19   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Hole saw followed by a laminate trimmer with a chamfer bit?
Yup, that'd work. Not the route I took, see previous statement as to cat skinning.
Old 14-01-2014, 23:36   #60
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yup, that'd work. Not the route I took, see previous statement as to cat skinning.
See, you didn't have to wait up at all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: