Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 13:25   #31

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: chimney hole angst!

Pick of the KK38 stove. Just some show and tell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kk 38 fireplace.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	73946  
Attached Images

Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 13:43   #32

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I agree with the jig saw method and used it myself recently. I had the same angst as the OP, and was laughing about it later. It really is easy.

I did use an abrasive edged saw blade and had no issue with chipping the gel coat or tear out damage.

The comment is correct about the cost of a hole saw that big, it's what deterred me originally. The expensive jig saw blade will get used more than the even more expensive rather large hole saw.
Love the look of that low profile pilothouse on your Ingrid. Should of mentioned to remember to wear safety glasses when doing this project.
Old 14-01-2014, 13:48   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Pick of the KK38 stove. Just some show and tell

Very Sexy
Old 14-01-2014, 13:51   #34

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Love the look of that low profile pilothouse on your Ingrid. Should of mentioned to remember to wear safety glasses when doing this project.
You are so right, safety glasses would be a must. I just found some safety glasses with #2 reading glasses bifocaled into them. Excellent!

Gotta love a pilot house in the northern latitudes, and thank you.
Old 14-01-2014, 13:55   #35

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Didn't see the Ingrid part. great boat. I bought one in Seattle years back. Considered buying the Co. Water boats">Blue water Boats. Is your a Blue water?
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 14:10   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I agree with the jig saw method and used it myself recently. I had the same angst as the OP, and was laughing about it later. It really is easy.

I did use an abrasive edged saw blade and had no issue with chipping the gel coat or tear out damage.

The comment is correct about the cost of a hole saw that big, it's what deterred me originally. The expensive jig saw blade will get used more than the even more expensive rather large hole saw.

How did you cut the correct bevel angle for a plumb circular hole in a cambered deck? It's not possible to do that with a jig saw, the only option is to make a sloppy oversized hole.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 14:10   #37

Quote:
You are so right, safety glasses would be a must. I just found some safety glasses with #2 reading glasses bifocaled into them. Excellent!

Gotta love a pilot house in the northern latitudes, and thank you.
Don't ever remember seeing an Ingrid with one, would love to see some pictures.
Old 14-01-2014, 14:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
How did you cut the correct bevel angle for a plumb circular hole in a cambered deck? It's not possible to do that with a jig saw, the only option is to make a sloppy oversized hole.
Nothing sloppy about the opening at all, Dickinson calls for a 6" hole for a 3" flu, camber is made up with a teak fairing block, angle was taken with a bevel square then used to make up a 2" thick teak fairing block, stack is nice and plumb.
Old 14-01-2014, 14:22   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nothing sloppy about the opening at all, Dickinson calls for a 6" hole for a 3" flu, camber is made up with a teak fairing block, angle was taken with a bevel square then used to make up a 2" thick teak fairing block, stack is nice and plumb.

This does not explain how you cut an under bevel on one side and an over bevel on the other side of a 6" circular hole with a jig saw. It's physically impossible, unless your deck has no camber and therefore bevels aren't required to fit a plumb tube through a surface that's not level.

Old 14-01-2014, 14:59   #40

[QUOTE=minaret;1440361]This does not explain how you cut an under bevel on one side and an over bevel on the other side of a 6" circular hole with a jig saw. It's physically impossible, unless your deck has no camber and therefore bevels aren't required to fit a plumb tube through a surface that's not level.[/QUOTE

I cut the opening with a sawsall, not necessary, again cabin top has a teak trim piece that was custom cut to the exact bevel of the cabin top, then on top of that is attached a cap made by Dickinson that the flu fits on to, inside the flu just goes straight through the cambered ceiling, Dickinson supplies a trim ring to provide a finished look on the inside. The flu exits the boat completely plumb. I will be more than happy to post some pics when I get a moment.
Old 14-01-2014, 15:28   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=cburger;1440392]
Quote:
This does not explain how you cut an under bevel on one side and an over bevel on the other side of a 6" circular hole with a jig saw. It's physically impossible, unless your deck has no camber and therefore bevels aren't required to fit a plumb tube through a surface that's not level.[/QUOTE

I cut the opening with a sawsall, not necessary, again cabin top has a teak trim piece that was custom cut to the exact bevel of the cabin top, then on top of that is attached a cap made by Dickinson that the flu fits on to, inside the flu just goes straight through the cambered ceiling, Dickinson supplies a trim ring to provide a finished look on the inside. The flu exits the boat completely plumb. I will be more than happy to post some pics when I get a moment.

Are you saying you installed the teak fairing block before making your cut, giving you a flat level surface to make the cut on? Because that sure does make it easier, regardless of the tool used, IF you are using a fairing block.

BTW, I often use an 18V cordless drill for hole saw cuts up to 4-5", depending on the material I'm cutting and how thick it is. It's not good for the drill, but if you have quality tools and cut carefully you can usually get away with it. No side handle needed, but then I am not small...

Old 14-01-2014, 15:32   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Didn't see the Ingrid part. great boat. I bought one in Seattle years back. Considered buying the Co. Blue water Boats. Is your a Blue water?
No, mines not a Blue Water Ingrid. Mine's an Orca model, by Seven Seas (Joe Breskin). It's got 4k more ballast than the Blue Water boats and is cutter rigged.
Old 14-01-2014, 15:36   #43

Quote:
Don't ever remember seeing an Ingrid with one, would love to see some pictures.
There's a few pics in my CF gallery. It's an all aluminum pilothouse made out the back door at Armstrong boats in Port Angeles, Washington. It's got diamond sea glaze windows and door and is stout and seaworthy.

Send me a p.m. If you want to see more of her.
Old 14-01-2014, 15:40   #44

Quote:
My cabin top does not have a whole lot of camber to it. I cut the beveled hole perpindicular to the cabin top. I didn't use a fairing block, my deck iron is flush to the cabin top.
Old 14-01-2014, 20:36   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
This does not explain how you cut an under bevel on one side and an over bevel on the other side of a 6" circular hole with a jig saw. It's physically impossible, unless your deck has no camber and therefore bevels aren't required to fit a plumb tube through a surface that's not level.
I agree with Minaret. If the deck is cambered there is no easy way to get a plumb hole with a jigsaw. A sloppy hole that is covered by the deck fitting would be the result.

A hole saw of 5" is expensive as is the drill. If you don't own them the combination can be rented for the day or a few hours from Home Depot or a tool rental outfit. Not hard to use if you are careful, as you should be with any cut. I have used one many times when cutting holes in bulkheads installing diesel furnaces on boats.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote