Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 04:54   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,797
Chapelle Gaspeian

I've been cruising Quebec and have come across references to the Chappelle Gaspeian a few times at museums. They were built by the A C Davies shipyard in the 1950ish era. They are rebuilding one in Gaspe at that museum (but I didn't know what I was looking at at the time. Here in Isle Madeleine they has a small model where it all came together for me.

They built 40 or 50 of them, somehow sponsored by the Federal Govt. to help improve the fishery. They are about 50 foot long.

Lovely looking boat. From the size of the prop a sibstantial motor, relatively short gaff rigged schooner with enough sail area to do something. I could see a new build being adapted to a live aboard motor sailing.

Does anyone have any further information on these boats? Just curious, you know, in case I win the lottery!
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27   #2
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,330
Images: 1
Re: Chapelle Gaspeian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I've been cruising Quebec and have come across references to the Chappelle Gaspeian a few times at museums. They were built by the A C Davies shipyard in the 1950ish era. They are rebuilding one in Gaspe at that museum (but I didn't know what I was looking at at the time. Here in Isle Madeleine they has a small model where it all came together for me.

They built 40 or 50 of them, somehow sponsored by the Federal Govt. to help improve the fishery. They are about 50 foot long.

Lovely looking boat. From the size of the prop a sibstantial motor, relatively short gaff rigged schooner with enough sail area to do something. I could see a new build being adapted to a live aboard motor sailing.

Does anyone have any further information on these boats? Just curious, you know, in case I win the lottery!
Some Davie history-may help. Shipyard name changed several times.
I couldn't find what you are looking for. An old Gaspe fisherman would be your best bet. Check out Shippagan & Caraquet,N.B. old boats also.

Quite sure you have mis-spelled - Gaspesien would seem more French Canadien

Davie Shipbuilding
__________________

__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:27   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,797
Re: Chapelle Gaspeian

Here is a picture of the model.

Also, This morning I walked over to the boat yard and....there it was #26.... Converted to a yacht.

And yes, my spelling is not what it should be. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	129248  
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:08   #4
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,330
Images: 1
Re: Chapelle Gaspeian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Here is a picture of the model.

Also, This morning I walked over to the boat yard and....there it was #26.... Converted to a yacht.

And yes, my spelling is not what it should be. Thanks.

Nice! The underwater hull looks like it would sail quite nicely.
Hope you find a full size one-even a derelict - to enjoy.

/ Len

You might enjoy joining this public group: Cruising and Sailing:Maritime Canada.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:54   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,797
Re: Chapelle Gaspeian

Found an online pic and a little more info at this web site if you are interested

LA GASP?SIENNE 26 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:30   #6
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,330
Images: 1
Re: Chapelle Gaspeian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Found an online pic and a little more info at this web site if you are interested

LA GASP?SIENNE 26 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker

Thank you. Nice old boat.Looks in great shape for age. / Len
__________________

__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.