Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 10:06   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 148
Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Hi folks, just wondering about this possibility mostly for curiosity, but also because some nice older catamarans could be much nicer if just had some bigger windows and portholes. Is it possible to make this upgrade? And what about adding a porthole on the hulls? Can be ok or could affect the integrity of the hulls/structure?
Cheers
__________________

riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:29   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 6,483
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Hi folks, just wondering about this possibility mostly for curiosity, but also because some nice older catamarans could be much nicer if just had some bigger windows and portholes. Is it possible to make this upgrade? And what about adding a porthole on the hulls? Can be ok or could affect the integrity of the hulls/structure?
Cheers
anything is possible, but without specific examples, it may not be......
__________________

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 11:05   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 148
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
anything is possible, but without specific examples, it may not be......
Ok,here, just as an example: this nautitech 475 has small hatches compared to the front area.


It would be a nice upgrade to change those small hatches in a wider window as this other model:



....just to give an idea....
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:37   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 646
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Most people will probably think that if it's working, why remove a perfectly good portlight or hatch? In the Med in the summer and I imagine in other hot places you're the less glass or other material windows you have the better.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 23:07   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,989
Images: 7
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Most people will probably think that if it's working, why remove a perfectly good portlight or hatch? In the Med in the summer and I imagine in other hot places you're the less glass or other material windows you have the better.


Yep, I notice quiet a few cats with sun shades in all the windows, particularly the highly sloped ones, to keep the sun out.

You want enough hatches in the right places to allow plenty of air flow and minimum of windows to let the hot sun in. Besides the damned things tend to leak and are hard to keep clean.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 02:09   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 148
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Most people will probably think that if it's working, why remove a perfectly good portlight or hatch? In the Med in the summer and I imagine in other hot places you're the less glass or other material windows you have the better.
....from the other side, talking about windows, you can get a nice view sitting in the salon.
Anyway, beside functional considerations, i was wondering if it's technically feasible without affecting the solidity of the boat?
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 02:42   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,196
Images: 69
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
....from the other side, talking about windows, you can get a nice view sitting in the salon.
Anyway, beside functional considerations, i was wondering if it's technically feasible without affecting the solidity of the boat?
If you do it right, yes.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 04:30   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 6,483
Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Ok,here, just as an example: this nautitech 475 has small hatches compared to the front area.





It would be a nice upgrade to change those small hatches in a wider window as this other model:







....just to give an idea....


On your example, the boat on the top has large sloping windows with sun covers over them. Zoom in on the picture and look at the different color around the hatch. This material is usually phiefertex, a mesh material that blocks a lot of light but not all.

Smaller hatches are usually desirable in tropical areas, the huge expanse of Windows results in you living in a greenhouse.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,643
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

You can add windows as you please, as long as you are not cutting thru the structure.


Mind on many cats the topsides ARE the structure.


b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:57   #10
Registered User
 
Sailorman Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Posts: 736
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

On our previous cat, an older Prout Snowgoose, we removed the 4 front tempered glass windows, reduced the opening size and installed opening ports ( bought used and replaced the acrylic myself). That made a huge difference in ventilation. I also permanently closed off the solid opening hatch ( circled in red) as I could never fully get it to seal properly. A couple before and after pics. Was very happy with the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	177665   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatches.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	177666  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new hatch.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	177667  
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 06:09   #11
Registered User
 
Sailorman Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Posts: 736
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

I forgot about the 2 new rear hatches, I just cut a hole in each rear deck, built up around the cut and added these ( marked by arrows). This was a bigger improvement, adding light, ventilation and access. The large shape behind was the new solid bimini top in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear hatches.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	177668  
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 07:38   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 646
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
On our previous cat, an older Prout Snowgoose, we removed the 4 front tempered glass windows, reduced the opening size and installed opening ports ( bought used and replaced the acrylic myself). That made a huge difference in ventilation. I also permanently closed off the solid opening hatch ( circled in red) as I could never fully get it to seal properly. A couple before and after pics. Was very happy with the change.
I awlways thought the big glass windows on the early Prouts could do with having hatches build into them like more modern boats. I suppose cutting and drilling glass isn't for the faint of heart though. Not a fan of the smaller hatch modification in terms of looks but I bet it made massive difference to cooling.

The previous owner of my 35 added some tiny non-opening portlights to the topsides. They make a good difference to the light in the coffin cabins, but could do with being larger really.

On deck I have six crappy solar vents. Two in the aft cabins and one in the forward cabin and the head. I'm planning on replacing all of them with some kind of small opening hatch.

P.S @Sailorman Ed - Could you tell me more about you hard top bimini? I recently started a thread about them in the Prout owners group. I'd love hear about how it was constructed and mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	177669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	177670  

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:09   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,196
Images: 69
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

Smaller hatches are usually desirable in tropical areas, the huge expanse of Windows results in you living in a greenhouse.
Theres a difference between hatches and windows.

Large hatches allow plenty of ventilation. Large (non opening) windows let in heat but not air.

We have 11 large hatches and 8 opening portlights on our boat. It's quite often cooler inside the boat than it is in the cockpit.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:40   #14
Registered User
 
Sailorman Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Posts: 736
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
P.S @Sailorman Ed - Could you tell me more about you hard top bimini? I recently started a thread about them in the Prout owners group. I'd love hear about how it was constructed and mounted.

Mike, found some today but I think I have some others on an old hard drive. Will look tonight or tomorrow. Off to New Bern to see how much of a disaster the marina is. I do know my boat is floating and cannot see any damage. Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 14:19   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In NE for summer then south when it gets cold
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Posts: 283
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Can pretty much put a hole anywhere. Just requires appropriate structural modifications/additions to transfer the load around the bigger opening. With carbon and / or metal ring plates can be fairly easy, once you know the engineering on what has to be done.
__________________

Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, size, wind

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 4 stable and Windows Beta svzephyr44 OpenCPN 0 29-09-2015 10:46
GEBO Problems with Hatches and Portholes fastcat435 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 22 19-07-2015 11:41
Hatches and Portholes fastcat435 Multihull Sailboats 17 12-04-2010 21:27
Raytech RNS and Windows 7 and Windows XP kene66 Marine Electronics 2 23-02-2010 14:50
We need new portholes almost_there Construction, Maintenance & Refit 12 10-02-2009 07:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.