Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 10:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives
Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Hi folks, just wondering about this possibility mostly for curiosity, but also because some nice older catamarans could be much nicer if just had some bigger windows and portholes. Is it possible to make this upgrade? And what about adding a porthole on the hulls? Can be ok or could affect the integrity of the hulls/structure?
Cheers
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:29   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Hi folks, just wondering about this possibility mostly for curiosity, but also because some nice older catamarans could be much nicer if just had some bigger windows and portholes. Is it possible to make this upgrade? And what about adding a porthole on the hulls? Can be ok or could affect the integrity of the hulls/structure?
Cheers
anything is possible, but without specific examples, it may not be......
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 11:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
anything is possible, but without specific examples, it may not be......
Ok,here, just as an example: this nautitech 475 has small hatches compared to the front area.

It would be a nice upgrade to change those small hatches in a wider window as this other model:

....just to give an idea....
Old 19-09-2018, 12:37   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Most people will probably think that if it's working, why remove a perfectly good portlight or hatch? In the Med in the summer and I imagine in other hot places you're the less glass or other material windows you have the better.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 23:07   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Most people will probably think that if it's working, why remove a perfectly good portlight or hatch? In the Med in the summer and I imagine in other hot places you're the less glass or other material windows you have the better.

Yep, I notice quiet a few cats with sun shades in all the windows, particularly the highly sloped ones, to keep the sun out.

You want enough hatches in the right places to allow plenty of air flow and minimum of windows to let the hot sun in. Besides the damned things tend to leak and are hard to keep clean.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 02:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
....from the other side, talking about windows, you can get a nice view sitting in the salon.
Anyway, beside functional considerations, i was wondering if it's technically feasible without affecting the solidity of the boat?
Old 20-09-2018, 02:42   #7

Quote:
....from the other side, talking about windows, you can get a nice view sitting in the salon.
Anyway, beside functional considerations, i was wondering if it's technically feasible without affecting the solidity of the boat?
If you do it right, yes.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 04:30   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Change size windows/portholes on a catamaran?

Quote:
Ok,here, just as an example: this nautitech 475 has small hatches compared to the front area.

It would be a nice upgrade to change those small hatches in a wider window as this other model:

....just to give an idea....

On your example, the boat on the top has large sloping windows with sun covers over them. Zoom in on the picture and look at the different color around the hatch. This material is usually phiefertex, a mesh material that blocks a lot of light but not all.

Smaller hatches are usually desirable in tropical areas, the huge expanse of Windows results in you living in a greenhouse.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:17   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

You can add windows as you please, as long as you are not cutting thru the structure.

Mind on many cats the topsides ARE the structure.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:57   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

On our previous cat, an older Prout Snowgoose, we removed the 4 front tempered glass windows, reduced the opening size and installed opening ports ( bought used and replaced the acrylic myself). That made a huge difference in ventilation. I also permanently closed off the solid opening hatch ( circled in red) as I could never fully get it to seal properly. A couple before and after pics. Was very happy with the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	177665   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatches.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	177666  

Name:	new hatch.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	177667  
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 06:09   #11

I forgot about the 2 new rear hatches, I just cut a hole in each rear deck, built up around the cut and added these ( marked by arrows). This was a bigger improvement, adding light, ventilation and access. The large shape behind was the new solid bimini top in progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear hatches.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	177668  
Old 20-09-2018, 07:38   #12

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
On our previous cat, an older Prout Snowgoose, we removed the 4 front tempered glass windows, reduced the opening size and installed opening ports ( bought used and replaced the acrylic myself). That made a huge difference in ventilation. I also permanently closed off the solid opening hatch ( circled in red) as I could never fully get it to seal properly. A couple before and after pics. Was very happy with the change.
I awlways thought the big glass windows on the early Prouts could do with having hatches build into them like more modern boats. I suppose cutting and drilling glass isn't for the faint of heart though. Not a fan of the smaller hatch modification in terms of looks but I bet it made massive difference to cooling.

The previous owner of my 35 added some tiny non-opening portlights to the topsides. They make a good difference to the light in the coffin cabins, but could do with being larger really.

On deck I have six crappy solar vents. Two in the aft cabins and one in the forward cabin and the head. I'm planning on replacing all of them with some kind of small opening hatch.

P.S @Sailorman Ed - Could you tell me more about you hard top bimini? I recently started a thread about them in the Prout owners group. I'd love hear about how it was constructed and mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	177669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	177670  

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

Smaller hatches are usually desirable in tropical areas, the huge expanse of Windows results in you living in a greenhouse.
Theres a difference between hatches and windows.

Large hatches allow plenty of ventilation. Large (non opening) windows let in heat but not air.

We have 11 large hatches and 8 opening portlights on our boat. It's quite often cooler inside the boat than it is in the cockpit.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:40   #14

Quote:
P.S @Sailorman Ed - Could you tell me more about you hard top bimini? I recently started a thread about them in the Prout owners group. I'd love hear about how it was constructed and mounted.

Mike, found some today but I think I have some others on an old hard drive. Will look tonight or tomorrow. Off to New Bern to see how much of a disaster the marina is. I do know my boat is floating and cannot see any damage. Ed
Old 20-09-2018, 14:19   #15

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Can pretty much put a hole anywhere. Just requires appropriate structural modifications/additions to transfer the load around the bigger opening. With carbon and / or metal ring plates can be fairly easy, once you know the engineering on what has to be done.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, size, wind