Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 12:23   #1

Chainplate Islands

Last weekend I molded little epoxy 'islands' around four shroud chainplates to make them more waterproof as a recent article by Don Casey explained. I buttered the chainplates with car wax, held them in with only two bolts each so I could wiggle them a bit while the epoxy cured, then left. I will return next week to see the result.

IF the wax fails and the chainplates are potted to the deck, is that a disaster? I mean, if the varying shroud tension moves all of the chainplate, deck and bulkhead together rather than the chainplate slipping a little through the deck as usual, will something break?

Anxious in Narragansett
T37-NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:22   #2

Boat: 1982 T-37 Tayana
Re: Chainplate Islands

I would be interested in the article that you referenced by Casey. Where could I find it.

I am going through a chainplate replacement right now and realize that the bedding is critical. Your approach may be something that I will want to do as well.

Thanks
Jeff
Gabrielle37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:54   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

My husband did this on our boat, though he didn't use car wax. I'll ask him what he used when he gets back from the boat tonight. Let me see if I can find a photo for you...
http://theceolmors.blogspot.com/2010...hainplate.html
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 15:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle37 View Post
I would be interested in the article that you referenced by Casey. Where could I find it...
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nds-23798.html

And ➥ http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_se...ne%29&start=25

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 06:07   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Ok, he used Scotch tape of all things. You should be good with the wax but if you find it didn't work, there is always the blow torch.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 06:46   #6

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37-NewDay View Post
Last weekend I molded little epoxy 'islands' around four shroud chainplates to make them more waterproof as a recent article by Don Casey explained. I buttered the chainplates with car wax, held them in with only two bolts each so I could wiggle them a bit while the epoxy cured, then left. I will return next week to see the result.

IF the wax fails and the chainplates are potted to the deck, is that a disaster? I mean, if the varying shroud tension moves all of the chainplate, deck and bulkhead together rather than the chainplate slipping a little through the deck as usual, will something break?

Anxious in Narragansett
Wow, that beats me! You would never pot chainplates in epoxy, OR put wax on them in an area that you later want to have a waterproof seal.

I have a number of these. I glued down a phenolic sheet = "Micarta" moat around the chainplate, and filled the 5/16" wide and 1/4" tall space with a 3-M UV resistant caulk. I cut into it and replace it every few years. This gives with expansion if necessary, and keeps the salt & water out.

BTW... if you ever need a "mold release" to prevent epoxy from sticking, I use 3-M 471 blue PLASTIC tape. (NAPA or Car Quest) Epoxy doesn't stick, and when you pull the tape, there is no residue.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060146 - Copy (2).JPG
Views:	159
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	27498  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate