Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 21:44   #16

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: Chainplate Bulkhead Rot Opinions

Eeeeeeeeeyewwwwww!!!!!! . . . Nasty, nasty, expensive looking mess you have there. You don't say what make of boat you own or what size???
Here's my suggestion, if it's in the 25' range & you are in the PNW, scrap this disaster & buy my Passage 24 which has cabin accommodations of a much larger boat.
If you are at all interested, PM me & I'll forward details & pictures. You can be sailing instead of throwing more hard earned money into this 'pit' & still have a 'rotting' boat under your feet.
I think you'll end up spending far more money trying to repair your boat than you ever imagined. If you think this is bad, what else is lurking under cover & yet to be discovered??? Been there done that, believe me.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:43   #17

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
There’s not likely to be good wood underneath, otherwise why did the previous owner do that?

As you have worked out, keep removing anything that looks at all flaky or “added” then see what you have. And use decent materials when you do the repair so the same thing doesn’t happen.

Assuming you’re in the galley it doesn’t matter if you don’t get an immaculate finish, as you could always tile the repair you have done.
Flaky? DId you say flaky? Yes, ply will become flaky. Yuck! I have found repairing stuff the hardest part is committing to start! I never did take a pic of the totally finished section. Oh well, good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chaintrash.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	191665   Click image for larger version

Name:	chainopen.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	191666  

Name:	chainbuild.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	191667   Click image for larger version

Name:	chain3:4a.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	191668  

Old 23-06-2019, 09:24   #18

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Eeeeeeeeeyewwwwww!!!!!! . . . Nasty, nasty, expensive looking mess you have there. You don't say what make of boat you own or what size???
Here's my suggestion, if it's in the 25' range & you are in the PNW, scrap this disaster & buy my Passage 24 which has cabin accommodations of a much larger boat.
If you are at all interested, PM me & I'll forward details & pictures. You can be sailing instead of throwing more hard earned money into this 'pit' & still have a 'rotting' boat under your feet.
I think you'll end up spending far more money trying to repair your boat than you ever imagined. If you think this is bad, what else is lurking under cover & yet to be discovered??? Been there done that, believe me.
Repairing something like this goes far more into understanding how to properly rebuild and repair a vessel which can have significant benefits to ones skillsets.

To me it sounds like your just trying to sell a boat and only selling a boat.

To the OP: it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg to do the repair. Use biaxial cloth, west systems epoxy and a 2x4 section of marine grade ply(or exterior grade ply soaked in epoxy at minimum).

It shouldn't cost more than $600 at the high end of things for the repair if you did it yourself.

I'd also go to external chainplates if you can. Laminate in large backing plates with biaxial and woven roving and call it a day(or week or so).

Definitely hardest part is starting the job, the next hardest is finishing to perfection.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 09:44   #19
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

looks like the entire bulkhead needs to be replaced. from the picture it doesn't seem too hard but be sure to keep the old one for a template.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:37   #20

Quote: "but be sure to keep the old one for a template. "

No, doing so isn't necessary. This damaged area is part of the main thwartships bulkhead and the shape of the one on the other side of the boat is identical where it meets the inside of the hull. If the bulkhead to be repaired is so far gone that you cannot use it for a template - and that seems likely to be the case - then there are well established ways to "take off" the shape for the new one, and to loft it in preparation for getting it out.

It is unlikely that a new bulkhead can be got through the hatchway in one piece. There are well established ways of dealing with that too.

If the topic is still current, and if the OP is still in need of advice, then sing out and we will do what we can do to help.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 08:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "but be sure to keep the old one for a template. "

No, doing so isn't necessary. This damaged area is part of the main thwartships bulkhead and the shape of the one on the other side of the boat is identical where it meets the inside of the hull. If the bulkhead to be repaired is so far gone that you cannot use it for a template - and that seems likely to be the case - then there are well established ways to "take off" the shape for the new one, and to loft it in preparation for getting it out.

It is unlikely that a new bulkhead can be got through the hatchway in one piece. There are well established ways of dealing with that too.

If the topic is still current, and if the OP is still in need of advice, then sing out and we will do what we can do to help.

TrentePieds
Also agree not necessary. Sure is nice but can easily make template without the old
Old 26-06-2019, 09:05   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "but be sure to keep the old one for a template." No, doing so isn't necessary.

did not say it was necessary but sure is a lot easier than tossing it out and starting from scratch. to each his own.
Old 27-06-2019, 21:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
did not say it was necessary but sure is a lot easier than tossing it out and starting from scratch. to each his own.
Yes very true! Trace the line, cut on inside of line and glass 'er up
Old 30-06-2019, 18:30   #24

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and offer advice. Very much appreciate it.
As an update... I ended up tackling the repair myself and used the sistering method as was offered as advice.
I'm attaching new pictures of the finished product. Not pretty, but seems structurally sound and the learning experience was priceless... albeit frustrating.
Thanks Again
Stefan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190630_1356014.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	195066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_1356108.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	195067  

SZTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 22:35   #25

Looks like it will suffice. Did you use glass to tab it into the hull as well as the existing bulkhead?

I'm not entirely sure what that piece bolted through both sections is for? If you glassed it over, that should not be needed

Tags
head, rot