Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 23:00   #1

Cetol vs varnish

After years of maintaining the teak on our Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 in varnish, we then left it unvarnished for 4 years. Now we are having it all returned to its former splendir and considering using Cetol teak marine + Cetol gloss overcoat. I'd like to hear if the downsides of this route rather than marine varnish. Eg. Durability from nicks and scrapes, touch ups, rich luster.
Patzonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 00:28   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzonline View Post
After years of maintaining the teak on our Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 in varnish, we then left it unvarnished for 4 years. Now we are having it all returned to its former splendir and considering using Cetol teak marine + Cetol gloss overcoat. I'd like to hear if the downsides of this route rather than marine varnish. Eg. Durability from nicks and scrapes, touch ups, rich luster.
Having used both , I didn't see a lot of difference on durability or longetivity between good yacht varnish and cetol, cetol seemed a little easier to apply , but was also very difficult to remove as to seems to penetrate more. I used both the tinted and clear Cetol , the tinted looked quite fake

Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Cetol vs varnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzonline View Post
Might be worth trying some in a hidden corner somewhere first. Very easy to apply and touch up. Doesn't have the same mirror finish as something like epafanes but to a practical cruisers eye it looks fine, just on it's own. Try clear first.

Can you still get it? They've stopped making it over here, though apparently international do a similar product.

http://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/...arine__31.html
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I am a fan of Cetol. I like to put one coat of the tinted followed by several of the clear. Typically I can get 3 years of Key West sun before a light sanding and new topcoat is required.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:03   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

Honey Teak beats the heck out of varnish for durability and Cetol for looks. Lasts for years with minimal touch ups.
Signature Finish and Honey Teak Products - Honey Teak
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:17   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We use 3 coats of the Natural as the base coat and 3 coats of gloss. Then it gets a maintenance coat once a year. We have lots of teak and have tried everything. The Cetol has been the easiest to apply with no sanding between coats, and has held up the longest of anything else we used. Touch up is also very easy and can't be picked out if done right. Have a look at either of our blogs for lots of photos of both boats. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50

One more vote for Cetal. If you were doing a museum boat I might go varnish but for a boat that is used Cetal will look very good and is easy to use.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I forgot to mention that the boats have been in south Florida and the Caribbean so the sun and UV is intense. Cetol holds up very well in this area. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:31   #9

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

When I bought my CSY 2 years ago the teak was peeling or gone completely. I cleaned and prepped then applied 4 coats of natural teak cetol then, four coats of clear. After one year I very lightly sanded and apllied one coat of clear. It looks great to me. The boat next to mine has cetol that is seven years old. He cleans and applies a coat of clear at least once a year. The yearly touch up is very quick and easy.

The natural teak does not look yellow like the original cetol is known for.

My boat is in St. Pete FL.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:40   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have tons of bright work on Idora. The failure mode of varnish in PNW climate is not superior to Cetol up here. Items like cap rails and hatches get a minimum of 12 coats of tinted with no clear. Narrow surfaces get 6 coats. 6 coats will totally fail in 3 years. In the narrow spots that is desirable, the more you put on the harder it is to clean up when it fails. The idea is to minimize wood loss. Your gonna have to keep it up no matter what you use.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:04   #11

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Just started putting Cetol on my rebuild teak fixtures and am happy with the results. 3 coats Natural teak, 3 coats gloss:

Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00   #12

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

When I restored my Triton, I used Cetol on all of the exterior mahogany (which was all new wood); I think four coats. Then, once a year, I washed it with a green nylon scrubby pad, rinsed, and put on another coat. I did that for ten years. It held up great. I think it's a great product.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25   #13

Boat: CORBIN 39

I don't recommend doing this but. it is a task to remove my varnished companionway hatch so I tried to find a way not to have to remove it for new coats of varnish. I then refinished the hatch in several coats of sprayed on clear IMRON. that was over 15 years ago and looks like it will go another 15 easy. incredible!
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I use to use the older Cetol for my Tartan Blackwatch 37. Although it was opague, I didn't mind because of the longivity. I'm glad this thread came up because I've see the new cetol products and wondered about them. My teak is in "black" condition and I want to do them whilst in Mx. The Natural Teak sounds like a good solution for me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01   #15

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I'm actively in this project now. Using Citristip to remove old dark brown finish which may or may not be Cetol I don't know cleaning and reapplying Cetol natural teak. The natural teak is loads better looking than the orange stuff years back.

Celestial I suggest this article on teak cleaners:
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/teak-care.asp

I had some unvarnished dirty teak that the laundry detergent, bleach, TSP mixture worked well on. I let it set for about 7-10 minutes and scrubbed lightly with a stiff brush with the grain. It did wonders.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish