Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 16:38   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Cetol and 2 Part Polyurethane Varnish

Can I put 2 part polyurethane varnish (perfection) on cetol? Can cetol go on the varnish? Or should I just put cetol on cetol and use the varnish for those pieces of brightwork I have completely stripped (rudder).
Thanks guys in advance. I have been stripping varnish all day so this post is kinda short. My back aches. (whine)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:05   #2

Re: Cetol and 2 part polyurethane varnish

I dont know100%, but I would guess no. Sure you want 2 part varnish?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

No you can not! You would need to strip off the Cetol first. Once Cetol goes belly up nothing goes over it not even Cetol.

If you really want to get into it. AwlBright (the Awlgrip people) makes a 3 part varnish that holds up quite well but you need to maintain it else rue the day you were born.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:55   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
No you can not! You would need to strip off the Cetol first. Once Cetol goes belly up nothing goes over it not even Cetol.

If you really want to get into it. AwlBright (the Awlgrip people) makes a 3 part varnish that holds up quite well but you need to maintain it else rue the day you were born.

Awlbrite is actually a one part varnish which is specially formulated to be top coated with Awlbrite Awlclear, which is a two-part acrylic urethane. Together the two are called Awlgrips "Ultimate Varnish Sysytem". This is the method I use, it looks better and lasts much longer than anything else out there. However, it is a ton of work and not cheap.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:05   #5

Boat: Endeavour 43

So Awlbrite is in fact an isolator...great info
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:25   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
So Awlbrite is in fact an isolator...great info
Yeah if you want to topcoat a traditional varnish with a clear urethane, a technique which has been around in the very high end market for many years, in the past you needed to wait at least 30 days after the final coat of varnish before prepping and applying the urethane. This is to prevent solvent popping from off gassing in the traditional varnish being trapped under the urethane. Using Awlbrite dramatically reduces this waiting period, because it has been specially formulated to be topcoated with urethane. It is also a great traditional varnish in it's own right, even if you are not going to topcoat with urethane.
Old 13-04-2012, 18:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is the method I use, it looks better and lasts much longer than anything else out there. However, it is a ton of work and not cheap.
A neighbor has been using it a while and it looks great but you do need to touch it up and you can't let it go totally bad or it is really tough to get totally off. That is the bottom line with all of them. If you have to get them all totally off the nice looking gloss finishes are the worst.
Old 13-04-2012, 19:01   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
A neighbor has been using it a while and it looks great but you do need to touch it up and you can't let it go totally bad or it is really tough to get totally off. That is the bottom line with all of them. If you have to get them all totally off the nice looking gloss finishes are the worst.

Yep, you can't heat strip a urethane. But regular Awlbrite which has not been topcoated with Awlclear heat strips just fine. On the other hand the urethane topcoat can actually be spot repaired and blended, so any scratches or gouges can be fixed just like a paint job. If you sand and reapply a coat of urethane every five years it will last 15-20 years without having to be stripped and refinished. And it looks much better than any normal varnish.
Old 14-04-2012, 04:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On the other hand the urethane topcoat can actually be spot repaired and blended, so any scratches or gouges can be fixed just like a paint
My neighbor finds he can spot patch it fine and I can't see it where he has done it. It is a tad expensive but then all the teak treatments are. The cheaper ones you reapply more often add up in cost.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

So I can't "patch" Cetol- in other words heat strip were it is bad back to the good cetol, sand into the good stuff and apply? What will that look like?
BTW- I am using the tinted stuff.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 08:23   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
So I can't "patch" Cetol- in other words heat strip were it is bad back to the good cetol, sand into the good stuff and apply? What will that look like?

Yes, you can do just that with Cetol and in fact all varnishes. However, there is a huge learning curve. Basically you make your "patch" repair, using as many coats as necessary to build up level again, then prep and apply a single topcoat to the entire area in question. I have dozens of custom built very small hard blocks in various shapes and sizes I use just for patching varnish. Helps to keep the "repair" small, and to patch in strange places. Patch points are usually seams and joints.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:33   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I've never had much of a problem going over older cetol. It seems to wear rather than peel. So long as it's the same tint anyway. Is there an out of the way bit you could try?

Funnily, was chatting to neighbor liveaboard this morning about cetol. We concluded that cruisers with a bit of a masochistic streak, or with a bit of a sadistic streak and staff, used varnish outside. The rest of us use cetol
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:09   #13

Boat: Seaward 22

Years ago I used captains varnish...looked great, but constant maintenance. Then went to bristol finish (2 part). Bristol looked great and was supposed to last years. At the end of year one it was starting to deteriorate, at the end of year two it was shot. Then I went to Cetol. Not my favorite look, but the maintenance is easy and it is forgiving.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Awlbrite is actually a one part varnish which is specially formulated to be top coated with Awlbrite Awlclear, which is a two-part acrylic urethane. Together the two are called Awlgrips "Ultimate Varnish Sysytem". This is the method I use, it looks better and lasts much longer than anything else out there. However, it is a ton of work and not cheap.
To use Awlbrite Awlclear, do you have to apply to bare wood or can this be applied over/sanded varnish?

Thanks
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:23   #15

A neighbor has been using it a while and it looks great but you do need to touch it up and you can't let it go totally bad or it is really tough to get totally off. That is the bottom line with all of them. ....... but you need to maintain it else rue the day you were born.
This is what I've seen and heard regarding all the multipart systems in the past... no miracles!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane, varnish