Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2007, 14:50   #1
DWT

Center Board Penent

Center Board Penent:

We just pulled out of the water our 1969 30' Morgan. I have had the boat for 5 years and the center board has never been working and I am determined to rework the whole thing. Here is my problem.
It is not the original board, PO( how many PO back, I am not sure) made the board out of a ss 1/4" plate then used fiberglass and resin to shape it into a center board. It is probably 2 to 3 time as heavy as the original all fiberglass board, also....
The original winch, in my opinion is not strong enough to lift the board so I am going to use a 12 volt linear actuator(surpluscenter.com) to raise and lower the board. It will pull 110# max. load capacity with 550# max. static capacity. I just bench tested the board and 70# will pull it up. All of this will fit high and dry below the main cabin sole of the boat, also....
The ss penent with ss crimped on eyelets on both ends was rusted in two pieces. This along with 70# pulling on it at all time(more in rough seas) has me worried. I would also like to beef this up some, so....
I have heard of kevlar standing rigging, I google it but did not bring it up. This would take care of the cable rusting in two and should be stronger than ss cable.
Note: The cable is not always a straight pull. It fit into a 90 degree V slot on the top of the board when the board is down.

So what are your thought?

Where can someone get a 20" penent made up with kevlar with ss eyelets on both ends?

David
69 Morgan 30'
CarolAnn

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 16:21   #2

Boat: "Piscator"
We put a Vectran pennant on the centerboard of a 24' schooner this summer, but don't have enough history to know how long it will last. A synthetic will eliminate any corrosion problems but may have chafe problems compared to wire. Kevlar might not be the best choice as it chafes on itself, especially when led around a shiv. Vectran or Spectra would probably be better choices.
Old 31-12-2007, 16:26   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hi DWT,
I would feel more secure with stainless flexible aircraft control cable than with kevlar but I'm old school. I would think the old stainless you had there was submerged for a longer length of time than it should have been and maybe that's why it rusted through. No matter what you install needs to be checked frequently. Maybe the kevlar won't chafe?
I would also make certain you have a manual means of cranking the board up and down but the 12 volt winch sounds like a smart way to go.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 17:17   #4

Boat: Norseman 447
Dynex Dux 75 in a anti chafe sheaf, approx 2 times breaking strain size for size of stainless
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 20:10   #5

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Amsteel Dyneema