Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2008, 04:53   #1

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
Caulk question

There is a dizzying number of caulks out there. I need to replace a couple hatchs. After removing one that was possibly bed with 5200 I don't want to use that again for this purpose, just in case. What would you recommend to seal a deak hatch?
Old 26-01-2008, 07:39   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I was surprised that you got the hatch off if it was 5200. For a hatch that is exposed the UV rays, a sealant with UV ray protection might be your best choice. At least that will limit the choice of sealants a bit. I have always had good luck with Silkaflex products.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 08:04   #3

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Sikaflex is the way to go - BTW they make a construction adhesive/sealant which is virtually the same as the marine product at much less cost
Old 26-01-2008, 08:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
As an aside here, it would be interesting to put together a list of equivalent products that have a rip off price for boaters and a reasonable price for land dwellers.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 08:21   #5

We use polysulfide in combination with a butyl tape. If you lay a 1/8" strip of butyl tape in the center of the rim and then lay a bead of poly on each side of it you will not squeeze out the poly when you set the hatch. The buytl will not cure and will always keep the seal.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 08:23   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I've been using the polyurathene construction products from Home Depot for bedding chainplates and winches. I'm 2 years into the experiment, but so far... no complaints.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 09:15   #7

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
We use polysulfide in combination with a butyl tape. If you lay a 1/8" strip of butyl tape in the center of the rim and then lay a bead of poly on each side of it you will not squeeze out the poly when you set the hatch. The buytl will not cure and will always keep the seal.
This is interesting, but I don't follow precisely where you put the tape, and I don't think you are building up a sandwich of layers. Thanks!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 17:05   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
Joli,

Wher are you getting your butyl tape, I like your approach.

Steve
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 15:31   #9

We use 3M 4200 it works good and holds up well. just caulk it, snug it down let it set for a couple hrs then tighten down.
thomas70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 15:45   #10

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Here's the bottom line:

If you want something that will never fail, use 3M 5200. If you want something less, expect the corresponding results, over time.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 15:45   #11

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
There is a product here called Tek 7 (or Tec 7) that you can apply even underwater to seal cracks in an emergency. I've used it to seal windows not a hatch and it has incredible strength but flexibility. . .
Old 11-02-2008, 16:26   #12

Kanani, you really should not use 5200 above the waterline the sun will break it down. And at some point the hatches may need to come out again. I've been in the business 38 years and have seen many cases where people have used it on deck and in a couple years it breaks down and gets chaulkey.
thomas70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 16:37   #13

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
Kanani, you really should not use 5200 above the waterline the sun will break it down. And at some point the hatches may need to come out again. I've been in the business 38 years and have seen many cases where people have used it on deck and in a couple years it breaks down and gets chaulkey.
ABSOLUTELY false........3M 5200 has the best UV resistance in the industry.

I made a very thick (about 1 1/2" thick) "Mold" of 5200 to hold a deck plate in place. My intension was to drill and screw it in place after it cured. I never did that. That was in 1990 and it is still in place with no cracks.

The plate was an access hole for the emergency tiller. I installed a working tiller (for my windvane). The plate was not level and I installed a 5" long solid brass bearing in that plate. I slipped the bearing, plate & all, down the rudder shaft to the deck. I ended up needing to build up the area and a shipwright friend of mine suggested 5200. It worked perfectly after curing for 30 days. I sailed 80,000 miles with the windvane stressing that bearing (held in place with 5200) every inch of the way.

I agree that if you expect to remove the hatches again, it will be difficult. However, I would expect to not have to remove a hatch in 10 - 15 years. In that time, it won't leak with 5200, I don't think that you can expect that service out of most sealers.

I bedded my chainplates, winches, cleats, stansions and every other piece of deck harware that through bolted through the deck with 5200. Never had a leak.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 17:24   #14

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Kanani, I agree with you about the UV resistance and your point about using it on hatches, in 15 years I will worry about it, or more than likely someone else will have to deal with it. Since you are a self-proclaimed 5200 man . Have you ever had 5200 gas and bubble. I have, and that is one thing that annoys me about the product ?

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 18:58   #15

if you ever even have the slightest thought the the part might need to come off at some point in the future, use Life Caulk. Otherwise 5200 works great
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote