Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 10:38   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Cartagena vs. Rio Dulce

Yes, logistics could be a challenge at Panamarina. I got pricing from them recently and they were not much cheaper than Shelter Bay (IIRC $450 to haul, $60/gallon to apply bottom paint, vs about $500 and $70 at SB).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 12:52   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The last two times we hauled at SB it was $16/ft +$0.75/ft/day. Sounds like maybe they have lowered their pricing a bit?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 13:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The last two times we hauled at SB it was $16/ft +$0.75/ft/day. Sounds like maybe they have lowered their pricing a bit?

Mark
You're right, the quote for haul was actually $560. Not unreasonable relatively speaking, its the slip/dry storage fees at SB that add up (still $0.75/ft/day working yard storage).
Old 17-06-2014, 13:18   #19

As far as providing info for this thread, it cost us $350 with no daily charge in the Rio and $640 +$30/day at Shelter Bay to haul out and work on the boat.

Cartagena quoted us $3,000 for just a haul out in early 2011, but that was at a time when the yard was going through an owner/management upheaval and things were very strange there. Previous boats like ours had a very reasonable rate, and I am sure things are settled there now - but would like to hear what they are charging now. They have a 300T travelift, which is worth going there just to see!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 17-06-2014, 17:22   #20

Wow, $3K to haul a (then) 38' cat...gotta be a new record. Hopefully that has changed or we wont be doing any refitting there!
Old 17-06-2014, 18:36   #21

Boat: PT-11

Lyman Morse recently pulled out of Shelter Bay, so even if they can haul you I would be concerned about the work quality if anything more than a power wash and coat of paint was to be done.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 06:58   #22

The quality of the work done at Shelter Bay was much higher before Lyman Morse and much worse during their involvement. We know this from experience. I hope that the quality has returned now that LM is gone.

Mark

Old 18-06-2014, 08:08   #23

Boat: PT-11

Maybe, but what are they capable of besides a wash and paint? I know there is a diesel guy who lives on his boat. Not sure of what else.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 08:17   #24

Well, Lyman Morse was barely capable getting that done. Without them there now, one can once again bring in outside contractors to do specialty work (with a cut going to SB) - welding, fiberglass, etc. I agree that their basic boatyard crew is not highly trained in a lot of things.

This will be the same in Cartagena, and similar or the same in the Rio (depending on which yard you use).

I don't know if SB can even pull you. I know we fit in their well with lots of room to spare at 21', but don't know if it is 26' wide.

Mark

Old 18-06-2014, 09:59   #25

Just for reference on this thread (...and to help me procrastinate boat work a few minutes more...), below are my plans and recent SB quoted numbers.

1) Haul at SB and get bottom painted (because its w-a-y over due) plus a few other minor maintenance items. Should be a quick turn around and I will do all work except the bottom job. Numbers from SB quote for 35' cat:

Haul/Splash $560 ($16/ft)
Powerwash $50
Prep hull $203
Storage $131.50 ($0.75/ft/day x 5 days)
Stay Aboard $75 (15/day)
Apply Paint $216 ($72/gal for 3 gallons, may use only 2)

Total $1,235 + 7% tax

They wanted $320/gal for Sea Hawk paint so I'm shipping my own in (Interlux) at about $100/gallon less.

Storage/stay aboard charges are annoying, but otherwise not wildly expensive.

There are a number of boats getting bottom jobs here now, and lots of boats in dry storage (despite the high rate), but I don't see much other work going on in the yard.

2) Head to Cartagena for more labor/time intensive work (glass, interior wood work, unstep mast, rigging, maybe stern extensions...). Partially because we have not been to Cartagena, and want to do some inland travel, and due to less cost.

Anything not finished up in Cartagena will wait till we get back to the Rio.
Old 18-06-2014, 10:12   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

Does SB still charge for internet? If I remember right there was a separate charge for each of our computers.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 10:17   #27

I don't understand why you don't do it all in Cartagena? Particularly if you plan to spend any amount of time in the water in Cartagena - 5 days there will have seed barnacles growing on that new paint, and they will be full-fledged brutes in 10 days.

And if you are doing stern extensions, you will be taking off a chunk of that precious paint and reapplying later anyway.

Or did you mean those as two separate options?

Mark

Old 18-06-2014, 10:21   #28

Boat: Catana 521
Hi, I have hauled my Catana 521 at shelter bay twice and the boat has a 28 foot beam. Not a lot of room to spare and had around 1 1/2 in the haul out cage and more in the travel lift.

Don't have a lot of options in the western Caribbean when you get into the 28 foot beam range. Is where other options else where what would haul out this beam?

Mark, thanks for all your posting and info you provide to the forum. I have learn a lot inside tips and general FYI boat stuff from you.

Aloha,
David
jimmysbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 17:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't understand why you don't do it all in Cartagena? Particularly if you plan to spend any amount of time in the water in Cartagena - 5 days there will have seed barnacles growing on that new paint, and they will be full-fledged brutes in 10 days.

And if you are doing stern extensions, you will be taking off a chunk of that precious paint and reapplying later anyway.

Or did you mean those as two separate options?

Mark
Doing some here now because the timing works out and current bottom paint is shot. Plan to spend as little time in the water in Cartagena as possible.

Whether I chose to do stern extensions in Cartagena will depend upon how comfortable I am with what I find in terms of skills and materials. If I dont get a warm fuzzy then I will just do them on the Rio...and it will probably be time for touch up of the bottom paint by the time we get back there anyway.
Old 18-06-2014, 18:06   #30

Boat: ?

the chicas are 1000X ...no at least million times prettier in cartagena(not a knock on guatemala....the ladies of colombia just are that awesome).......but it is very hot there in summer and not much wind.

rio dulce is fresh water...and cheap.

is easier to fly from cartagena...
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena