Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2015, 10:12   #16

Re: Carpet on the floor

I purchased an indoor-outdoor throw rug that almost fits my salon floor. It's tacked down with Velcro. Works fine, washes easily and occasionally I spay it with Lysol. Never really had a mold problem. It give the main cabin a nice warm feeling.

Old 17-07-2015, 10:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard to get sand and dampness out of carpet unless you can remove it and put it outside.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:23   #18

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We removed the carpet from areas where we need frequent access and replaced with rugs. We have carpet in the staterooms that is bound all around. That way we can remove it easily for cleaning.
Old 17-07-2015, 10:24   #19
Mike

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

I had the same rubber mat. Industrial looking but nice. Carpet below is great for the dock queens that rarely leave the dock. Carpet will get wet if you sail. We used throw rugs (Oriental rug from Marshalls/TJ Max) 30" X 48" I think. Stylish and comfortable to walk on BUT...... easy to roll up and stow when sailing.
Old 17-07-2015, 13:16   #20

Boat: Nauticat 32

Here's one approach that works quite well for us. Warm mats are nice on cool days.

- stainless steel press studs in the corners
- no dirty shoes allowed inside (clean sailing shoes are ok)
- vacuumed when shore power is available
- washed once per season
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	105537  
Old 17-07-2015, 15:34   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rustic Charm,

I can sure see how you'd like not to have bare plywood, and I think what you've got solves that problem.

For carpet, I'd give that a miss, but I would use some "throw rugs", especially if you can find some that are polypropylene -- the cheap ones from K mart will do. You hose them off, and as they do not absorb water at all, they dry quickly. If necessary, you can slosh them with a bucket of suds (dishwashing soap) and brush them if something sticky gets on them. They are inexpensive, easily replaced, and give your feet a warmish place to stand on when it is cold. We have a teak and holly cabin sole, which is mostly bare, but I have such a little rug in the galley. Mostly just shake the dust out of it, but the wash down does it good, too.

Ann
Old 17-07-2015, 16:32   #22

Boat: Norfolk 43

Our experience with carpet has all been 100% positive. We used standard indoor/outdoor carpet contact cemented to ply flooring. The marine play had also been coated with everdure. It lasted perfectly for 22 years after which we pulled it up in a complete refurbishment of the vessel. It has been from 45 deg south to 75 deg north and still looked pretty much like new even at the foot of the companionway. We are replacing it with more of the same. It is not rubber backed, has only felt wet underfoot when in snow and ice, is absolutely non skid, does not smell and is easily cleaned with a 12v vacuum cleaner (although every so often when opportunity presents itself we give it a good going over with a 110/240v one). After experiencing other sole surfaces we feel this is the best solution for open water voyaging in small vessels giving both safety and comfort. There is access to all parts of the bilge through standard style cut outs in the ply.
At least that is our personal experience.
I have had no long term experience with the rubber backed tile type carpets other than have a square (given to us) that lay under the chart table, unfixed, for around 15 years. It appeared to suffer no ill effects but that experience is a lot different than something that is used everyday like the contacted indoor/outdoor carpet throughout the rest of the boat.
Old 17-07-2015, 20:24   #23

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

You may want to look into Teak and Holly vinyl over the plywood. It makes a nice looking and durable floor.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 17-07-2015, 20:42   #24

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I haven't given any thought to carpet on the below decks of the boat I am reconstructing. I don't have carpeting in my homes - never have. Hard to keep clean, harbor all sorts of dirt, allergens, mold, etc. Can't see how I would be able to keep it clean on a boat. I am not a neatnik by any stretch and can see the value of carpeting perhaps in higher latitudes but will at least begin my travels with a hard flooring.

I fancy bamboo but doubt I would find a type that could handle the marine environment. Engineered flooring made from bamboo is popular in some homes - has anyone found a type that could hold up in the tough salt air?
Old 17-07-2015, 20:57   #25

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437188264.136089.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	105543

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-07-2015, 20:58   #26

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

100% positive experience with custom carpets and sound reduction underlay

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-07-2015, 20:59   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Carpet tiles made by Milliken,Interface and a few others are designed to be installed dry in most applications,they should all face one direction unless you desire a checkered pattern ...System six and Unitery backed carpets should be edge glued(a few inchs wide should do) with pressure sensitive adhesive (carpet tiles can also be installed this way if you experience to much movement)..Carpet tiles were designed for access panel flooring as found in power plants etc but it also is used in hospital,schools and anywhere you have high traffic and maintnace ,so should work well on board your boat..When one is worn or soiled you can replace it and keep it looking good without replacing the whole area of floor covering..You can also do a full spread(use paint roller not a notched trowel) but use only pressure sensitive adhesive, never use latex on fiberglass("rubber backed") carpets..good luck
Old 18-07-2015, 07:58   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I bought a boat in Toronto equipped with carpet below. Seemed nice. On the passage home, the electric bilge pump failed, and the carpet was soaked. I could not get rid of it fast enough...so nasty. Of course the carpet backing had ruined the floor finish below. So I was left with a big job of cleaning and sanding. Then I applied 2 coats of white deck paint. Finally, it looked like a boat again. So I would have to speak up against carpet of any kind...save it for on land. A fancy throw rug is ok for in port.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:19   #29

Boat: Wylo 35,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
A fancy throw rug is ok for in port.

When I was living on the boat I had piece of carpet on the floor. It was very nice filing at Irish winters. Not glued or somehow fixed. When go sailing - moved to locker. With this I had easy access to bilges and was easy to keep boat clean. Good compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-07-2015, 12:30   #30

Boat: 42' Sportfish

We cover the wood floors in our galley and head with carpeting made for outdoor cockpits.

Our happens to be from Corinthian Textiles, selected specifically because their "AquaLoc" backing is much better than the black rubber backing on the OEM carpets in our cockpit and on our bridge.

I just made templates for each space, had them cut to fit, bind (Sunbrella), lay 'em down, done deal. No attachments -- snaps or so forth --necessary, because the fit the space exactly. (As good as your template, at least.)

They vacuum, or from time to time I can take them outside and hose them down with a powerwasher (as we occasionally do with the outdoor segments). Our oldest pieces are about 3 years old now, look like new.

Not inexpensive.

Don't know if that's an option, for this project, so this is just observation, not recommendation.

-Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: