Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 05:08   #61

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Can't figure out what this is

Years ago the Eldridge Tide and Pilot would print a story about the lead line. As the story went the captain was laid up and the first mate ( I believe) was in charge. From his bunk the captain asked to see the lead line. To fool the captain the mate puts sand the cook had brought aboard to scrub the pots in the tallow of the lead line.

The punchline is that the captain sits straight up and declares that Sakonnet Ridge has sunk. Etc.

Anyone remember that story? I have it in an old Eldridge somewhere.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:22   #62

Quote: "That doesn't make sense. "Set" is the direction of a current. "Drift" is its speed. Did you mean leeway would set the boat south of its heading while the current would offset that effect?"

Quite right — terminological inexactitude is unforgivable. Looks like you got the drift nevertheless :-)

Back where I come from, ships can be "drifting on the wind", and "drift" is commonly used to mean the deviation from your intended course that is caused by wind, i.e. it relates to your track over the ground. "Leeway", where I come from, relates to the crab-wise component of the hull's progress through the water, but in the present context that seems like splitting hairs :-)

I'm happy enuff to adapt my use of the jargon to local requirements :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 07:45   #63

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Sure, the rule says, " Stay on topic .... keep discussions relevant and on track " , but once the original issue seems exhausted, it is fun to drift away.

I don't recall a more interesting drift!
Nor I! And Trente or anyone, have you heard of a Norse design open boat called a "valgurda." It was my first boat many moons ago but haven't been able to find any reference to it in google. OK, back to the drift!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 12:09   #64

maybe crude installation of surface mounted sonanr. It could have been a part of a earlier instrument display which PO replaced. Disconnected and threw out display but left the sensor in in case of leaks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote