Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 12:29   #1

Boat: O'Day 22
Can this Hull be saved...?

After 2 years of having my 1972 O'Day 22 dry-docked (blindness issues that are now finally resolved through surgery) I have been prepping the boat for re-launch (was aiming for next week). Well, to my horror & dismay I discovered a 26" long crack in the hull, located under the starboard side of the cockpit, AND just above the trailer tandem roller to the rear. The cockpit drain thru-hull had blocked closed with ice over the winter and the cockpit filled with water and frozen. So it appears the weight of the ice block directly above the roller stressed/flexed the hull, and the hull cracked at some point over winter. I read about repairs to the fiberglass in Casey's "This Old Boat", but since this is below the waterline, and even though it seems it is just a gel-coat crack, I am seeking guidance before I invest time and money in a repair that I am hoping will make my sailboat safe to sail again. Photos are below... Thanks for all your help!
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	123323   Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	123324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	123325   Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	123326  

Msgt3227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:59   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Can this Hull be saved...?

Looks like a lot more than a gel coat crack to me. If I am seeing correctly it appears that the hull is quite concave there where the rollers are on the trailer. That's a lot of crushing on the laminates all the way through. There are many more knowledgeable people than me on this forum but appears to me that whole section would need to be ground away and laid up again. Getting the proper shape might be difficult. If you do not have a lot of experience working with laying up cloth and mat it would probably best be left to a professional.
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 13:39   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Definitely can be fixed, but it makes me wonder about the the structural integrity of the rest of the hull.

Fiberglass work is not rocket science and not expensive if you do it yourself.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 13:51   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

This is only a 22 ft boat, the crack is not in a structural area and it is an old boat, so I assume not a highly cosmetic issue.
  1. support the hull in this area
  2. remove the roller
  3. grind away the gel coat and "v" the crack area
  4. heavily sand the corresponding inside area
  5. apply some pressure on the inside to recover the shape
  6. apply some biax mat (not just cloth) to the inside
  7. build up the "v"'d crack area with increasing widths of cloth
  8. sand smooth and paint
  9. put the roller back
  10. go sailing
Inside of 8 hr assuming the trailer bolts are not too rusted.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 13:55   #5

Boat: Vagabond 14

Been sitting too long supported on a non-structural portion of the hull.

Yes it can be fixed.

Cost of fix vs value of boat?
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 14:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

As Ed says, drop the roller assuming there are others which will support the hull and see if it will return to its original shape. The rollers are to stop the hull tipping over, not taking the weight of the hull which should be on the keel supports.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 14:03   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Sadly, for less than the cost of the materials & consumables to fix her, you could find another one. Likely even a better model. Plus, since I'm guessing you're anxious to get out onto the water, vs. playing the itching game (working with fiberglass). Go & enjoy your (thankfully) renewed capacaties.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 15:02   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

My very first ever fibreglass repair was pretty much exactly the same problem. As others have said, support around the area then remove the roller. The hull should pop *mostly* back into shape. Grind out the crack as per Casey's instructions and fill with epoxy and glass. Also build up the indentation with epoxy and glass, too, to get the shape back, after preparing the surface of course. Sand the lot back to shape, fair if you want to, and then slap some paint over the repair.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 15:23   #9

My vote is NO, don't fix it. A 22 foot boat with a good hull is nearly free anyway. Save everything off your old boat, hardware, sails tiller, brackets etc, and find another.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:44   #10

Boat: O'Day 22

I need to thank all of you for your speedy replies to my query! I appreciate the feedback, and figure I am going to spend a little time doing research to price my different options... I am inclined to try my hand at repairing the hull, so this morning I am going to see if the roller beam nuts/bolts are able to be undone. I am also going to go look at another sailboat my wife saw for sale parked in a lot just north of the highway here in town... I plan to price fiberglass & gelcoat after I finish this posting, and will take it from there...

Just FYI, when I bought the O'Day 3 years ago, I bought it as a "project" anyway, and since it only came with a jib, that first winter I sewed a main sail for it which I have YET to try out (due of course to not having the sight to launch her for the past 2 season)...

Msgt3227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:47   #11

Boat: Beneteau

As suggested it's an easy fix. I would recommend putting some support inside for future haulouts. Maybe a bulkhead or some foam stringers that you can fibreglass in.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:14   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Looks like a lot more than a gel coat crack to me. If I am seeing correctly it appears that the hull is quite concave there where the rollers are on the trailer. That's a lot of crushing on the laminates all the way through. There are many more knowledgeable people than me on this forum but appears to me that whole section would need to be ground away and laid up again. Getting the proper shape might be difficult. If you do not have a lot of experience working with laying up cloth and mat it would probably best be left to a professional.
I had the same question. Is it an optical illusion or is the hull stove in?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:21   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Here's an opportunity to gain Fiberglas skills! Nothing to lose by diving in
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:26   #14

I see an O'Day 22 on e-bay for sevenhunnertfifty bux. So don't waste your time. Just get another. Good stuff from the wreck can be transferred to the replacement, and you'll be back on the rolling deep in no time.

Take a chainsaw to the wreck and eat the disposal costs. Sell the trailer to recover some or all of it.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:35   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

JMHO, save the hardware and the rigging and look for another project boat without structural problems just cosmetics.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass repair, gel coat crack, hull