Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 08:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Can this Hull be saved...?

I fixed one of my current boats that I got for free that had 98 holes from a lightning strike. easy. I used epoxy (it sticks better) and ground out the holes one day and layed in glass and epoxy.

Next day came back and ground it all flat with a belt sander and slapped some paint on her and launched her later that day. Still sails great. 1960s bristol corinthian.

you might want to just get a bottle jack under the keel and jack it up off of the roller. The trailer should not be holding the boat up other than the keel. the rollers are just to keep it from tipping over.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Then again.... There is another oday 22 (I used to own) for sale. 500 bucks might get it. I noticed you are in Illinois. This boat is an hour south of Indianapolis. It is all there.

email toolowd@aol.com if you want it.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:05   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthewater View Post
Here's an opportunity to gain Fiberglas skills! Nothing to lose by diving in
Absolutely, and your materials I would guess would be less than $200.00. After grinding/v-ing out, add some backing to the area internally. Foam, plywood, ect. Clean and glass it all in, not a big deal and I think you will enjoy working with fiberglass. I do.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:34   #19

I've worked with heavy duty industrial tools and resins for a lot of my life.

Now I'm retired, constantly swapping between +1.5 and +3.5 dioptre spec's for close-up stuff and now have the beginnings of macular degeneration in one eye.

Being very careful to protect my eyes now, especially the good one.
My boat's steel and I still use angle grinders, welders, grit blasters, air chisels etc. - but I'd think a lot more than twice before doing any glass fibre work nowadays.

Hoping gene therapy might work...

Gene therapy could help those with macular degeneration - BBC News

unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:04   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
I've worked with heavy duty industrial tools and resins for a lot of my life.

Now I'm retired, constantly swapping between +1.5 and +3.5 dioptre spec's for close-up stuff and now have the beginnings of macular degeneration in one eye.

Being very careful to protect my eyes now, especially the good one.
My boat's steel and I still use angle grinders, welders, grit blasters, air chisels etc. - but I'd think a lot more than twice before doing any glass fibre work nowadays.

Hoping gene therapy might work...

Gene therapy could help those with macular degeneration - BBC News

The eyes and the lungs. It isn't just the sanded glass it is what you have saturated it with.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:41   #21

Unless you are in love with the boat, junk it and get a better boat like a catalina, cal, or columbia. O'Day boats are at the bottom of the food chain imho.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:47   #22

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My vote is NO, don't fix it. A 22 foot boat with a good hull is nearly free anyway. Save everything off your old boat, hardware, sails tiller, brackets etc, and find another.
I agree with Cheechako, 22 footers are a dime a dozen. Go find something that suits your pocket book and go sailing. Why risk everything on a hull that may fail in a blow?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:51   #23

The trailer for my O'Day 22 does not have rollers. Instead each side of the hull is supported on carpeted 2x8 boards. This method supports the weight of the boat over more hull surface than the rollers do. Might help to prevent a recurrence of this damage. Wet hull slides easily on the carpet as it would on rollers.

If you end up needing another boat, let me know as mine is for sale. Bought an Islander 32 MkII....
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:58   #24

and DON'T just throw it away! They are selling for $2,500 to $4,000 depending on equipment and condition. So are the Catalina 22's.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 11:02   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

In spite of the negatives, there wasn't a damn thing wrong with ODay. I would still trash this one. Somebody pointed you in the direction of a 22 for maybe $500. Keep the rigging and hardware. You can't beat a dead horse.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:19   #26
F10

Boat: S&S 34

Just be very careful with the Epoxy, especially if working overhead. I was doing some hull work and got a drop of epoxy in my eye. Stung like heck for the day and eye was really red. Took a few days to fully recover. Wear some eye and face protection as well as long pants and shirt plus rubber gloves.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:31   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Working with epoxy and laminating ain't rocket surgery but that ain't no gelcoat crack. I'd put my money on significant delamination over a much wider area than the crack. The cost in material is going to be closer to $500 and it is not a one day fix once you start re-laminating. With a boat that size you could turn her upside down and it would be easier but she is just not worth it. I work with this stuff all the time and by the time you've turned her over, built an interior form, cut & grind and lay in multiple layers of new glass, then fairing then anti-fouling I'd be looking at four days work. It will take you longer.
Old 02-05-2016, 17:54   #28

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
Just be very careful with the Epoxy, especially if working overhead. I was doing some hull work and got a drop of epoxy in my eye. Stung like heck for the day and eye was really red. Took a few days to fully recover. Wear some eye and face protection as well as long pants and shirt plus rubber gloves.
I always get a laugh from people who harm themselves, often because they obviously do not read instructions on almost every product sold, or if they do read them, they ignore the advice and go ahead without the protection recommended. The instructions will almost always say: "Wear eye protection and gloves etc."
After harming themselves, they then go on a mission to educate those of us who DO read the instructions.
Guess I should feel sorry for them, but quite honestly, I cannot, but I do have some advice for them: "READ THE FRIKKEN INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM TO THE LETTER." That way, you just might save yourself an injury.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 18:00   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I always get a laugh from people who harm themselves
Thats very funny
Old 02-05-2016, 21:46   #30

Absolutely repairable.