Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 22:12   #1
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
My original washboards are out of wack.
I mean they got a curve to them lengthwise.
My question is;
Can I sit them in a tub of water with a weight on them for them to become flat again?
And of course let them dry with a weight on them also.

Probably a dumb question so sorry in advance.

I'd like to breathe life back into them and varnish them.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 23:08   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

You mean the boards you put across the opening of the main hatch leading into the cabin?

Do you mean across the width of the board or across the width of the hatch opening? In the former this is called cupping. In the latter this is warping or twist along the length of the board (width of hatch opening)

Planning makes wood thinner which is not a good idea for your purpose.

The answer to your question is yes the boards can be made flat again.
__________________

__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 23:24   #3
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
Richard,
That's good news!

Use water in a tub?
Seems like them sitting in the cockpit in the sun should do the trick.
Should I put weight on them while they are drying to prevent the curving from coming back?
__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 00:07   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Yes, the weight on the boards will take out the twist although you may find out you have to increase the weight to get them satisfactorily flat. There are a variety of methods to prevent or reduce the amount of twist into the future. Prolly the easiest is to screw stiffeners (angle iron or something) to the inside of the wash boards. Run the stiffener across the width of the board and not far in from the board end.

You could also let the stiffener into a dado cut into the washboards. Or you could go with 'breadboard ends'. You haven't said if the washboards are ply or solid wood...it is important. The best you could do is keep up with maintenance especially in a climate like the Keys.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 00:25   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,960
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

When you get the wood back to original shape make sure to seal it with some sort of finish that will keep moisture out.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 00:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Wood has a memory.

Once it's taken a shape it will always revert to said shape.

As it turns out, it's not really memory, it's the grain/structure of the wood.

So the shape it takes is about what it began as.

Poorly sawn wood, bad wood will all do the same.

Which is just opposite, of wood with a good grain, and properly sawn.

Washboards are, about 4-5 board feet.

Even if teak at $24.00 aboard foot, Money would be better spent selecting new wood.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
My original washboards are out of wack.
I mean they got a curve to them lengthwise.
My question is;
Can I sit them in a tub of water with a weight on them for them to become flat again?
And of course let them dry with a weight on them also.

Probably a dumb question so sorry in advance.

I'd like to breathe life back into them and varnish them.

Thanks
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 00:51   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Posts: 484
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Google woodworking steam box.
__________________
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 01:57   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Wood has a memory.

Once it's taken a shape it will always revert to said shape.

As it turns out, it's not really memory, it's the grain/structure of the wood.

So the shape it takes is about what it began as.

Poorly sawn wood, bad wood will all do the same.

Which is just opposite, of wood with a good grain, and properly sawn.

Washboards are, about 4-5 board feet.

Even if teak at $24.00 aboard foot, Money would be better spent selecting new wood.

Lloyd
What is said here is not enough inaccurate to make much ado about. But I will say it doesn't have to be as disastrous as it sounds. I've seen fine wide boards made of varying species of Eucalyptus or Manzanita. These species are well known as about the most contorted, twisted grain as one will ever see. Yet if the sawyer takes care and the craftsman keeps up his end these species can be and are used in making fine furniture.

Our man has met the true culprit which is lack of maintenance perhaps helped along by already distressed wood either salvaged or improperly sawn and stickered for drying. Avast, it's not yet time to give up the ship ('s washboards). Take heart, what was done can be undone.

Disclaimer: what I have said comes all undone if it is ply.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 02:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
What is said here is not enough inaccurate to make much ado about. But I will say it doesn't have to be as disastrous as it sounds. I've seen fine wide boards made of varying species of Eucalyptus or Manzanita. These species are well known as about the most contorted, twisted grain as one will ever see. Yet if the sawyer takes care and the craftsman keeps up his end these species can be and are used in making fine furniture.

Our man has met the true culprit which is lack of maintenance perhaps helped along by already distressed wood either salvaged or improperly sawn and stickered for drying. Avast, it's not yet time to give up the ship ('s washboards). Take heart, what was done can be undone.

Disclaimer: what I have said comes all undone if it is ply.
While everything you say is true.

I have found that.

Many more times, I have spent more hours in repent then in.

Re-New.

And as the way is now, Materiel is a far shorter costs then LABOR.

Lloyd
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 02:27   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
While everything you say is true.

I have found that.

Many more times, I have spent more hours in repent then in.

Re-New.

And as the way is now, Materiel is a far shorter costs then LABOR.

Lloyd
I wholeheartedly agree. Yet I meant only to save the chap his money. I understand the Keys are the end of the road in more ways than one. There, labor is cheap and plentiful.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 02:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. Yet I meant only to save the chap his money. I understand the Keys are the end of the road in more ways than one. There, labor is cheap and plentiful.
but i intend to labor as little as possible.

so if i re-new, and do it year in and year out.

ori

buy new, and right.

i will labor less.

i will then have more time, money and labor.

Lloyd
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 02:46   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
but i intend to labor as little as possible.

so if i re-new, and do it year in and year out.

ori

buy new, and right.

i will labor less.

i will then have more time, money and labor.

Lloyd
Aye, so it's all about you!

You don't sleep with a level, right? Or install a 10 micron filter on the exhaust fan over the head, right? Or inspect with a jeweler's loupe the flatware, right?

As for me, I've recovered enough that I am able to step on a crack without supervision.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:31   #13
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
They are solid teak boards not ply
__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 13:20   #14
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,548
Images: 1
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

This is one of those cases where you really have nothing to lose, go with your original idea weight the boards and if works out good to go,
__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 19:10   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Galveston,Texas
Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt
Posts: 82
Images: 4
Re: Can Teak be Re-Shaped?

I have read all the posts and you say you have solid boards for your hatch boards and they warp (have a twist in them) and they are hard to get in an out. Am I correct? An assumption on my behalf is that the interior is varnished and looks great and the exterior has been coated and recoated but never stripped down to the bare wood. You believe you would have to replace the boards yearly of you replaced them each time. My sugestion to you is to select new wood with thecorrect grain and rebuild them an leave one eight clearence so they have room. Then make a sumbrella cover for the hatchway that covers all the wood in question. Make sure you do a good job on finishes and no hardware store varnish but Marine Schooner Gold is best in my books and block sand between. If done this way the boat hatchboards will last longer than you and I if the cover is put back on when yopu are done with the boat. I think you got a bad board and we know all the boards are generally cut out of the same board. Maintaining grain and color is basic reason. At least for me. I get depressed trying to get the twist out and still have wasted the effort and wind up replacing it in the end.
__________________

__________________
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.