Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:45   #1

Boat: Cape George 36
Can ABI bronze ports be disassembled at the hinge?

I've tried removing the set screws and tapping on the pins with a punch, they don't budge but I haven't really gone at them either. I'm wondering if there is a "trick" to them?

I want to replace the gasket rubber but doing them while on the wall seems pointlessly difficult.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:12   #2

Boat: Cape George 36
Re: Can ABI bronze ports be disassembled at the hinge?

Oh, they look like these: Bronze Rectangular Portlights - Portlights (Bronze)
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 18:30   #3

Re: Can ABI bronze ports be disassembled at the hinge?

ABI was kind of a strange company and they made several different versions of bronze portlights. Some gaskets can be replaced in a matter of seconds, others take a complete refit. MY portlights are ABI and all I needed was 3/8 epdm rubber from Mcmaster Carr. You simply take a dental pick and remove the old gasket material out and hand press the new gasket into place. You dont need to add any sealant or adhesive. I have heard others using the 5/8 epdm that the fit was more secure but to dog down the hatch was a PITA. Thats it, no need to remove the pins and make the job much bigger than needs to be. I replaced all 12 portlight gaskets on my boat in the matter of a afternoon. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports