Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2011, 17:37   #31

Boat: 45' schooner
Re: Calling All Members . . . Please Help !

You will spend more money on lawyers than the repair. Very hard to prove in the fog. The commercial vessel may receive prefferencial treatment unfortunately. See what your insurance will do and settle in a area you like and use paid labour. You will have much more control. Once you meet the locals they will help get you going again. Good luck

Old 04-10-2011, 19:23   #32

Charleston SC has all facilities you should need. Thousands of sailors there as well.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rick, and Schooner1905.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:07   #34

Boat: DeFever 50 CMY

We have been in/out of a # of yards but found PlayBoy Marina (yes, really the name) in Ft. Lauderdale to be tops and reasonable prices. A benefit to you is that YOU can do your OWN work also. They have lots of quality folks that you can hire directly for various tasks and can quickly get recommendations from those in the yard. The yard also quietly allowed us to live on board as this was our home and we had no where else to go during the 3 week repair for us. We will go back there when needed.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharAndy
We have been in/out of a # of yards but found PlayBoy Marina (yes, really the name) in Ft. Lauderdale to be tops and reasonable prices. A benefit to you is that YOU can do your OWN work also. They have lots of quality folks that you can hire directly for various tasks and can quickly get recommendations from those in the yard. The yard also quietly allowed us to live on board as this was our home and we had no where else to go during the 3 week repair for us. We will go back there when needed.
Just remember it is cash only. CrackerBoy in the Stuart area is another do it yourself yard with a funny name in South Florida.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25   #36
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
.... once a vessel on your port side came into view, you would generally be the 'give way' vessel. What part of the fishing vessel came in contact with your vessel's port bow?

No they would be the stand on vessel. Right side quits, left side goes.

UNLESS the fishing boat was actively fishing. Depending on how they're fishing, commercial boats very often have the right of way as they just aren't always maneuverable.

The overriding marine law is "Do everything possible to avoid a collision."
Old 05-10-2011, 06:28   #37
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
I agree with comments about being rational and maybe selling out and moving on if the numbers add up. It is hard to not be sentimental but fixing a damaged boat is rarely a good move.

i would make the parallel of having a home damaged in an earthquake. You didn't expect it, but your home is too damaged and like it or not, you have to find a new home.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45   #38

Boat: Mason 43

Right now I am in Cobb's Marina in Norfolk having repairs done to the damage from Irene. They are very helpful and reasonable. If you can make it this far, give it a try. I have found that given equal quality any thing north of here gets expensive and anyplace south of here is more reasonable. I try to schedule maintenance and repairs for here or Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharAndy View Post
We have been in/out of a # of yards but found PlayBoy Marina (yes, really the name) in Ft. Lauderdale to be tops and reasonable prices. . . .
In you do get to repair the boat, the Playboy Marine Boatyard - Do It Yourself Boat Repair Facility in Dania Beach - DIY Boat Maintenance Yard | Playboymarine.com
is 1/2 again more expensive than most other boatyards in Florida. After one month on the hard the rates escalate every two weeks.
- - However, one major advantage of the Ft Lauderdale area boatyards is their close proximity to the major boat parts suppliers.
- - Most boatyards in Florida do not post their rates on their websites. But I found these, looking for a place to do a major refit of my Gulfstar - to be the most economical:
Cape Marina, Port Canaveral, FL
Riverside Marina, Ft Pierce, FL
Westland Marina Boatyard, Titusville, FL
St Mary's Boat Services, St Marys, Georgia
- - These boatyards have rates that vary from $450 to $650 per month for my Gulfstar MS53.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03   #40

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

After hurricane damage, we shipped our Tayana 37 to the Annapolis for repairs. There are several reliable boatyards there.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17   #41

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

I highly recommend Sailcraft Service In Oriental NC. Turtle is their fiberglass man and he just finished making us a new rudder. Fabulous work! Mark is their rigger, and he really knows his stuff.The yard is owned by a great guy named Allen, and you can do work yourself. All of the experts you would need for any type of work are employed by the yard, so you don't have to mess with seperate contract billing. Oriental is laid out so that you can bike to everything, it's a great little village. There is a shuttle service available to get you to New Bern if needed also. Give Ellen or Cathy a call and they can answer all your questions.
1218 Lupton Drive
Oriental, NC 28571
(252) 249-0522
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44   #42

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2, 40'

I have used Schoeder Yatch in Deltaville, Va. Deltaville has lots of marine services. Getting a new boat with salvaging as much as possible off the old boat may be the best deal.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

John Pholeric
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51   #43

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

As for the mast, I broke mine in Venezulea a couple of years ago (snapped chainplate), "BrownWater" Ins. stiffed me, and I was able to fix it myself cheaper than the deductible. It was easier than replacing the mast (an exact replacement was not available).
Captain's Corner - Mast Rebuild
I also will be interested on how the "insurance" works for you- Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00   #44

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace

Our update: The surveyor has submitted his findings with $127K of damages. He stated there is a salvage value of $15-20K. The surveyor has approved the boat to move under motor as there is no hull damage. The Point Judith Marina in RI will be working with us at the end of the week to remove the rigging that we are unable to do by ourselves.

The salvage value coming in so high and knowing the estimate is a bit low leaves us doubting we will opt for repairing. It is also hard to find as much boat as we have in this one for the amount of money....staying with a sailboat. There are quite a few options and I will be making some phone calls to some yards in the south now that I have the surveyor report with photos. The consideration is that while the interior work is being done, we can not live on the boat. So temporary land living arrangements will have to be made. Everything is doable.....just depends on how much emotional energy we have. Before this incident occured Grace was in need of paint and new portlights. Those were already pricey items. That added to the additional funds to exceed the insurance amount may be more than we can financially afford.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and words of encouragement. We will continue to keep you posted on our progress.....but it is slow in happening.

Linda
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32   #45

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
Thank you for the update. Had been wondering where you were and what had transpired. Weather and depths cooperating, you can motor most of the ICW and at least get warm while you sort it all out. I live in RI and have a trawler in NC that I'll be taking to Isle of Hope end of Oct, ping me if I can be of help.

Best wishes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: