Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 18:18   #16

Re: Calling All Members . . . Please Help !

Deatons is REally good and John is a first rate guy, but for heavy fiberglass work I would go next door to sailcrafters and check them out. Either way you will be taken care of and Oriental is a great place to stay while the work is being done
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 18:20   #17

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
But it will buy another 1974 Gulfstar
1974 Gulfstar 53 Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
and I bet you could shave a bit off the price

Would it be worth moving your bits onto this one?

You may not think it now, but to me this seems a very good option to consider.

We all know how attached you are to your lovely special home but once the shock of whats happened and the grief you feel right now subsides, let practical reality have a place in your future planning of how to go about fixing as best you can with what you have to work with.

Along with all others here I am full of sadness for you both but feel sure you will regroup your inner "cruiser resources and strength" and come out of this happy once again to .....go cruising!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 18:59   #18

Boat: 48 Californian

.... once a vessel on your port side came into view, you would generally be the 'give way' vessel. What part of the fishing vessel came in contact with your vessel's port bow?

No they would be the stand on vessel. Right side quits, left side goes.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 20:11   #19

Boat: Endeavour 42

Yeah, the vessel to starboard would generally have the right of way(i.e. the "stand on" vessel) wouldn't it? If a vessel's on your port you're on its starboard. As for the legalities, here's how it works ashore: You're driving your underinsured car; you're involved in a collision w/another driver, who is at least partially at fault. At this point typically you collect on your coverage from your company. If it's insufficient to cover your loss, sue the other driver; the court/jury will apportion the fault between the two drivers; you can collect from him/his carrier only that portion assigned to him. But your carrier-whose already paid you-is subrogated to any amount you collect up to what they had previously paid you i.e. you have to reimburse them.. Now if the other driver is tagged with most or all of the liability then the amount you collect from him/his carrier may exceed the subrogation right of your carrier, so you could add the difference to what you got from your carrier under your coverage. Ashore, the amount of insurance you have has absolutely nothing to do with how much he-the other driver- may owe you. Admirality law is different in many ways so it's good advice to consult an attorney specializing in this area before making any decisions. Good Luck! P.S. Also agree that you might consider looking at a replacement boat. Even after restoration you may always wonder if something critical was overlooked-esp late at night 200 miles offshore! Cptn Happy
Old 30-09-2011, 20:31   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I suggest you carefully read all the fine print in your vessel's insurance policy. There are two kinds of comprehensive hull insurance for marine vessels.
- - The least expensive version pays up to the policy limit upon which the insurance company takes possession of the vessel. In other words, if they pay the policy limits, they own the boat, not you.
- - The other is more expensive and pays replacement costs to repair the vessel.
- - If you want to stay with the Gulfstar brand you might look at that one in post #13. It looks like a pretty much original configuration model MS53. So it would take some money to update and get ready to cruise.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:20   #21

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
.... once a vessel on your port side came into view, you would generally be the 'give way' vessel. What part of the fishing vessel came in contact with your vessel's port bow?

No they would be the standon vessel. Right side quits, left side goes.
I should clarify as no one but me will understand what I said

On your right quit, On your left go.

He was the standon vessel.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:48   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

stand on and all that doesnt matter as the responsibility of each vessel is to AVOID collision.

NEVER demand your right of way, as you WILL collide.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:28   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
He [the sailboat] was the standon vessel.
Yes, of course. I stated it backwards... must have been the fog
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26   #24

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
Linda, if you're still in the area, I can recommend Wickford Shipyard, they allow owners to work on their boat, or can do it for you. My friend has his 53' teak Cheoy Lee motor yacht there now.

Wickford Shipyard
125 Steamboat Avenue
North Kingstown, RI 02852-5889
(401) 294-3361

If you've moved on, we had work done at City Island, expensive but professional. Consolidated Yachts.

Without knowing your draft, I hesitate to recommend running the ICW, and with a damaged rig, outside could really thrash things.
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Although COLREGS exist it would be rare that they would influence the insurance settlement unless one vessel was not insured. The controlling regulation is as SEAHAG mentioned - the rule that each and every vessel do what is necessary to avoid a collision. So you end up with a 50-50% finding in court.
- - It is highly likely the insurance companies with simply split the total bill up to their covered limits and avoid the costs of going to court which will solve nothing for them especially since it would take years to get a final court decision.
- - Practical life is usually based on the least costly way of fulfilling the insurance contract. This is where it is critically important to read all the fine print in your insurance policy. There are things in there that will shock you. Especially since "addendums" to the policy can override and cancel basic coverage listed in the main policy body.
- - With a large boat like a Gulfstar the cost of repairs (especially considering labor rates) can easily exceed the market value of the boat. With the damage listed in the OP's first post, the repair and replacement costs of those items will easily greatly exceed the given insurance policy limit and certainly the market value as shown in the link in post #13.
- - I have seen this happen dozens of times during the hurricane Ivan loses in Grenada when I was there. Beautiful boats with major but less than total damage were "struck" as total losses by the insurance companies for two main reasons.
- - First the boat was "under-insured" as the owner could not afford full market or replacement value coverage. And secondly because the current cost of repairing the boat exceeded their market value.
- - And the insurance paid off the full limit of the policies and took possession of the boats. That was the real shocker to the owners, they did not know that they would lose ownership of the boat. In essence when the insurance pays the policy limit there are automatically purchasing the boat from you. This can be avoided if you have the much more expensive version of the comprehensive policy if the particular insurance company offers such a policy.
- - It will be very informative if the OP will let us know the results of the survey and what the resolution is with the insurance company.
- - Although it worth finding out about repair yards further from the "scene of the accident" - it is the findings of the surveyor that will control everything. He will normally base his findings on "local" professional repair and replacement costs - D-I-Y repair work costs are not considered. And Rhode Island is not known as one of the economical areas for professional boat repairs.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 16:53   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i hope op posts again when insurance is settled. then she can tell us better what she needs and how we can help her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 17:06   #27

Boat: Rhodes 32
I agree with comments about being rational and maybe selling out and moving on if the numbers add up. It is hard to not be sentimental but fixing a damaged boat is rarely a good move.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39   #28

Linda: So sorry to hear what happened. I actually walked by your boat this Am at PJM. I sail out of Point Judith in the upper pond and go in and out all the time in fog and know how dicey it can be. There was quite a buzz on this morning at my marina about your boat and the broken mast. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know via private message. I am 10 minutes away and have transport if you need to go somewhere for shopping or whatever. I know what it is to love a boat as your home and I would do just as you are in looking to repair her as new. Someone in the thread mentioned the Wickford Shipyard. They have a live aboard community all winter there. Why not consider having your repairs looked at and estimated here in RI? This is a yachting friendly state.
Best regards,
Rick
Rick486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54   #29

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Linda, Back to your post. There are always used masts on ebay. These guys in Fla always have several. Sleeving and welding masts is a lot more common than you think. That's how the really big new ones are done because they are too long to be shipped in one peice. BOB
Sailboat mast 70 feet 9'' by 5 3/4'' Stock | eBay
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23   #30

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Linda, Back to your post. There are always used masts on ebay. These guys in Fla always have several. Sleeving and welding masts is a lot more common than you think. That's how the really big new ones are done because they are too long to be shipped in one peice. BOB
Sailboat mast 70 feet 9'' by 5 3/4'' Stock | eBay
That seems pretty reasonable. I say fix it. A boat is never a rational thing, all this talk of rationality. If we were rational we would never be living aboard to begin with. A boat is your home, in a way it gives you things and it expects things back.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote